Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

383 LS1 question

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 10:21 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 383 LS1 question

Hello all, I'm fairly new to the forum and LS engines. I recently bought a '99 Camaro with a 383 LS1. A few days after driving it, it started tapping pretty loud from the driver's side head. I pulled the head to find a lifter was stuck in the bore, it would move up and down but not come all the way up. Guessing the roller failed and the cam flared the end not allowing it to be removed.

I ordered a new cam, some long tubes, new lifter etc. When I tried to remove the lifter with a magnet after pulling the cam, it ended up falling down into the engine. I thought it would be up on the windage tray, but after jacking the engine up, lowering the oil pan and looking in - it seems it fell all the way into the oil pan. I don't see a windage tray, maybe whoever built the motor didn't feel like spacing it to clear the stroker crank?

Should I order a new windage tray? Is it absolutely necessary - with the pan already having it's own tray that the pickup runs through? As of now it looks like I need to at least drop the K-member some to get the pan out and unbolt the lower tray (that's actually attached to the pan) to remove the lifter.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks guys.
Old 03-18-2014, 04:57 PM
On The Tree

bump..
Old 03-30-2014, 11:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Considering the cost I'd go ahead and get it all right now. When it all said and done you might sleep better. ....I would.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:27 PM
TECH Regular

Windage tray is absolutely necessary. You'll have that much more security in your engine after you put one in.
Just suck it up and pull the motor, I know it sucks but it's worth doing. Also, I saw you said you ordered a new 'lifter', while you're at it I would replace all of them.

Quick Reply: 383 LS1 question