Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 Wont go into gear with car off-

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 09:40 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default T56 Wont go into gear with car off-

So the short story is in the title- The long story, I bought this T56 from a 95 z28 last fall, it was used, said there was about 110k on it, but the price was right. So over the last few months I have pieced together everything else i needed, hydraulics from ebay, clutch from TG.org, etc etc. I ended up with a 500 mile used clutch oriellys house brand, an OEM flywheel that had just been resurfaced, a Spohn cross member, and 4th gen hyrdaulics. I modified the master cylinder rod to account for using the third gen pedals., oh Pro 5.0 t56 shifter.

It is swapped into an 87 iroc with an LT1 (hence name)

So the install went as expected-longer than i had planned on, but relatively smoothly. When i first turned the car on, clutch in, started the car, ran it for a bit, worked the clutch and heard a loud Pop. The clutch went to the floor. But this is the only time this has happened. Now working the clutch releases the clutch. After i installed the driveshaft, i had the back end up, and ran it through all of the gears made sure the speedo worked (thanks Alloy!)

However now, just a few days later, it is impossible to shift the car into some gears with car off and the wheels down. It started just with 6th, now its 1-2-3 R that i am having issues with. I even put the old shifter on just to make sure it wasnt the shifter. But by that time it was late and I didnt have an extra set of hands to start inspecting.

So do you guys have any recommendations? And ideas? Anything would be appreciated. Ill probably put the rear end back in the air tonight and see if it will go into gear.

Oh- when i bought it, it did row every gear, and all of them seemed fine. i was using the stock shifter and didnt bolt it down.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

What about when the car is running, are there any issues?
Old 03-18-2014, 10:29 AM
Teching In

It will go into every gear with the wheels off the ground, and engine running. Clutch in disengages, wheels dont spin, clutch out, wheels spin.

It will go into every gear, some times smoothly, other times not so much. But every gear will engage and stay.

I dont have the front end on the car at the moment for a brake/suspension upgrade, so i havent driven it yet.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:30 AM
Teching In

should have added- with the wheels on the ground - not letting them spin, it has trouble going into gear, and i dont want to bang it in.
Old 03-18-2014, 06:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So basically it won't go in gear if there is any load on it. There is obviously some binding somewhere. Possibly the clutch or shift rail. I have rebuilt mine, but I'm nowhere near an expert on this tranny. I'm sending you a link to the pdf file for the service manual. On page 1-2, there is a trouble shooting chart that talks about some of the issues that you are describing. Let us know exactly which problem it is, and go over all the more simple remedies, then let us know if it is still doing it! http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2...-0610-0199.pdf
Old 03-20-2014, 01:00 AM
Teching In

thanks for the input, im going to get the back end up in the air this weekend and do some digging.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 87 IROC LT1
thanks for the input, im going to get the back end up in the air this weekend and do some digging.
No problem! Good luck OP, and let us know what you find!

Quick Reply: T56 Wont go into gear with car off-