General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Trust Oil Life System w/Full Synthetic in 01 LS1 Camaro?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 10:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Question Trust Oil Life System w/Full Synthetic in 01 LS1 Camaro?

Do you trust the Oil Life System w/Full Synthetic oil? In this case either 2001 LS1 & 2002 3800 Camaro. My assumption is that it is calibrated for conventional oil and it states that it does not detect particulates. The wild card could be the quality of the oil filter and how well it hold up and continues filtering... So what is the recommended approach when using full synthetic? How many more miles can you go? The change oil light came on around 4k mi. this time.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:11 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran my last car with walmart syn 10-30 oil and a purolator filter until I sold it at 220k ish miles. It was running 8lbs of boost daily driven 110miles a day making 450rwhp on stock longblock with no problems. I changed the oil when the light came on and never a problem. I wanna say it was between 5 and 6k miles when the light usually came on as I ran the interstate at 70-80 mph for 90% of my commute.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well if you are switching from conventional to full synthetic i would change it when the light comes on because it is still running on full synthetic and what as left of the conventional. If you have already done one change then you are probably safe to run it about 5k miles before every change because synthetic stays a lot cleaner than conventional (when you perform regular maintenance). But if this is your first synthetic change after using conventional i would change it.
Old 03-20-2014, 02:56 PM
TECH Addict

Been on full synthetic (SuperTech) for years in both V6 & V8 Camaros... I changed it today in my V6 to error on the side of caution due to this:

http://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02-...ne-cold-76054/

The use is ~70% city driving with this previous oil interval.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:19 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Like you pointed out, the car can not detect particulates. The synthetic oil may break down at a different pace, but it probably isn't causing less metal and other junk to be trapped in your oil filter.

If you are changing your own oil, then IMO - changing the oil now and turning off the annoying light is worth the $1.25 you'd save by squeezing a few hundred miles more out of your oil.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:50 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I never trusted that light. There have been times where I have changed the oil and then a few days later the light comes on. Ever since I stopped dailying my car the light hasn't come on in 3 years. I just change the oil once a year before I put it away for winter storage.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The sensor is only a reminder to change your oil every mileage point outlined in the owners manual
Old 03-21-2014, 12:53 PM
TECH Addict

Here's what the Owners Manual says, not much... I tend to hue to the Oil Life System more when I am driving more stop and go city driving than highway driving...

"When to Change Engine Oil (GM Oil Life System TM)
Your vehicle has a computer system that lets you know when to change the engine oil and filter. This is based on engine revolutions and engine temperature, and not on mileage. Based on driving conditions, the mileage at which an oil change will be indicated can vary considerably. For the oil life system to work properly, you must reset the system every time the oil is changed.

When the system has calculated that oil life has been diminished, it will indicate that an oil change is necessary. A OIL CHANGE light will come on. Change your oil as soon as possible within the next two times you stop for fuel. It is possible that, if you are driving under the best conditions, the oil life system may not indicate that an oil change is necessary for over a year. However, your engine oil and filter must be changed at least once a year and at this time the system must be reset. It is also important to check your oil regularly and keep it at the proper level.
"
Old 03-21-2014, 07:28 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, I don't even think the high zoot, hyper expensive, Euro rides have an OLM which can actually sample and analyze the oil (for acids,TBN, wear metals, fuel, lack of additives, etc.) in the sump/dry sump reservoir, YET (but knowing them, it probably is coming down the pike, or Autobahn as it were).

Quick Reply: Trust Oil Life System w/Full Synthetic in 01 LS1 Camaro?