Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Cleaned TB now high idle..help?

Old 03-20-2014, 10:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cleaned TB now high idle..help?

So I just cleaned my stock throttle body for the heck of it. So I took off the vac line on intake tune close to TB then unhooked from TB and took out whole intake. Disconnected MAF as well then continued to clean TB but didn't spray directly into TB. Grabbed shop towel sprayed the cleaner onto it and just scrubbed away. Used hand to open and close the hate or whatever it's called. Yes battery was connected. Now I drive it to friends house and the rpms go to about 1200 then down to 8-900 and then once I drive and put in nuetral at stop light it'll climb to about 15-2300!! What do I do? Tried the TB relearn but didn't work. Disconnected battery and still didn't work. It's my DD so quick response would be great thanks!
Old 03-20-2014, 10:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Never touch the blade.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:52 PM
On The Tree

We'll now I know but thanks. So what do I do?
Old 03-21-2014, 12:17 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Idahoctsv
We'll now I know but thanks. So what do I do?
Unfortunately, you're probably going to need to buy a new one. Is this a LS6 or LS2 CTS-V? Because if it's the latter, you're not in luck--new ones cost $500. If you find yourself in that predicament, I'd send your damaged-ish core into TPiS and get them to build you a 102mm LS2 throttle body.

The TPiS 102mm LS2 throttle body costs $580, assuming that your core is good. This new "old" design is all the rage on the V2 forums--it won't slam shut and stick against boost like the LS3/LS7/Nick Williams throttle bodies do, which open the other direction. It's on my list of stuff to do after I replace my motor.

http://weaponxmotorsports.myshopify....-throttle-body

Old 03-21-2014, 05:26 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
Unfortunately, you're probably going to need to buy a new one. Is this a LS6 or LS2 CTS-V? Because if it's the latter, you're not in luck--new ones cost $500. If you find yourself in that predicament, I'd send your damaged-ish core into TPiS and get them to build you a 102mm LS2 throttle body.

The TPiS 102mm LS2 throttle body costs $580, assuming that your core is good. This new "old" design is all the rage on the V2 forums--it won't slam shut and stick against boost like the LS3/LS7/Nick Williams throttle bodies do, which open the other direction. It's on my list of stuff to do after I replace my motor.

http://weaponxmotorsports.myshopify....-throttle-body

Hmm ok. So the 102mm will just bolt on and then I just attach stock intake tube to it? Or do I need some type of adapter? Also what what's the turn around on the TB?
Old 03-21-2014, 05:28 AM
On The Tree

And they charge $3,200 as a core charge?!?
Old 03-21-2014, 05:35 AM
On The Tree

And yea it's a ls2.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:10 AM
TECH Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Did you unbolt the throttle body from the intake manifold or leave it attached? If you took it off check the that the gasket didn't get damaged. If you took it off did you perhaps over tighten on re-install?

Also double check the vac line you said you disconnected, does it have any cracks etc?

And last dumb question, did you plug the MAF back in?

I'd check all the basics before dropping 500+ on a new one. I've cleaned my tb before and touched the blade without issue.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:13 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wanted to chime in even though I'm just a lurker in this section...

Without knowing if what FuzzyLog1c describes to be a common ailment for the CTSV, I'd be more inclined to suggest you look for a vacuum leak. The high RPM at first clutch depression and then high idle is exactly what my PCV system vacuum leak caused my car to do. I'd check to ensure you have everything plugged back in properly, that you did not accidentally bump something or slice/crack a hose, etc.

While the LS1 is not DBW, I never had any problems when removing and cleaning the DBW throttle body on my TrailBlazers I6 -- yes, even with opening and closing the blade, getting all the crud out, etc.

Just some food for thought before you go spending a ton of money when you don't need to
Old 03-21-2014, 07:33 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 05CTSV
Did you unbolt the throttle body from the intake manifold or leave it attached? If you took it off check the that the gasket didn't get damaged. If you took it off did you perhaps over tighten on re-install?

Also double check the vac line you said you disconnected, does it have any cracks etc?

And last dumb question, did you plug the MAF back in?

I'd check all the basics before dropping 500+ on a new one. I've cleaned my tb before and touched the blade without issue.
No I did not unbolt from manifold. Just left it there and cleaned. Yea I plugged it back in and heard click.

Originally Posted by demonspeed
I wanted to chime in even though I'm just a lurker in this section...

Without knowing if what FuzzyLog1c describes to be a common ailment for the CTSV, I'd be more inclined to suggest you look for a vacuum leak. The high RPM at first clutch depression and then high idle is exactly what my PCV system vacuum leak caused my car to do. I'd check to ensure you have everything plugged back in properly, that you did not accidentally bump something or slice/crack a hose, etc.

While the LS1 is not DBW, I never had any problems when removing and cleaning the DBW throttle body on my TrailBlazers I6 -- yes, even with opening and closing the blade, getting all the crud out, etc.

Just some food for thought before you go spending a ton of money when you don't need to
But that's the thing I can't figure out is what vaccuum lines I check? I've looked everywhere in the area and there's only one vac line to unplug. But I'll double check once I get home and find out. In meant time anybody got spare ls2 TB in case I do need to replace or whatever?
Old 03-21-2014, 07:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I cleaned my TB about 10 times.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:35 AM
On The Tree

I've cleaned mine, held the blade open with my hand it get all the gunk out. Never had this issue. I would also go with a vacuum leak. Or maybe need a TPS relearn?
Old 03-21-2014, 08:35 AM
On The Tree

It'll fix itself ,will take prolly a week or so ( ask me how I know )
Old 03-21-2014, 09:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

cleaning a TB and touching the blade is not going to hurt it at all. ive taken apart quite a few ls2 TB and removed the blade for porting and never has this caused the TB to not function.
was it really dirty around the blade pivot points? you may have pushed the gunk into those areas. my advice is to pull it completely off and clean it again.. also push the blade and make sure it doesnt stick. if it does then remove the blade from the TB and use 1200 grit sand paper to get the burr off the edges of the blade.. YOU DO NOT WANT TO REMOVE MATERIAL....ONLY TAKE THE BURR OFF THE BLADE!!!
Old 03-21-2014, 09:29 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by johnny2343
It'll fix itself ,will take prolly a week or so ( ask me how I know )
Wow that's quite sometime. So it's normal it climbs to high 1,000s low 2,000s only when stopped? If I turn car on in morning it stay normal Rpm's but light touch of peddle and it'll start to go up and stay there
Old 03-21-2014, 09:32 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by punishmentcycle
cleaning a TB and touching the blade is not going to hurt it at all. ive taken apart quite a few ls2 TB and removed the blade for porting and never has this caused the TB to not function.
was it really dirty around the blade pivot points? you may have pushed the gunk into those areas. my advice is to pull it completely off and clean it again.. also push the blade and make sure it doesnt stick. if it does then remove the blade from the TB and use 1200 grit sand paper to get the burr off the edges of the blade.. YOU DO NOT WANT TO REMOVE MATERIAL....ONLY TAKE THE BURR OFF THE BLADE!!!
And no it was actually fairly clean. I just thought I'd "freshen" it up
Old 03-21-2014, 03:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Idahoctsv, can you identify whether you used electronic cleaner or something like brake cleaner when this incident occurred?
Old 03-21-2014, 03:47 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
Idahoctsv, can you identify whether you used electronic cleaner or something like brake cleaner when this incident occurred?
I used CRC air intake and throttle body cleaner
Old 03-21-2014, 06:47 PM
TECH Addict

when something breaks time to upgrade... for $80 more I would just go for it...
Old 03-21-2014, 07:19 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by adanieljohnson1
when something breaks time to upgrade... for $80 more I would just go for it...
Haha you might be right man. Just get annoying sitting at light and reving at like 1800rpm. But I guess I'll drive itbaround

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cleaned TB now high idle..help?