Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need to delete AIR system... HELP PLZ

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 07:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need to delete AIR system... HELP PLZ

Hey guys sorry if I'm beating a dead horse but I feel so damn lost on deleting the AIR system. I've looked all over the place for guidance and I still feel lost, so I was wondering if there is anyone in California in the Bay Area that knows how to delete this ****?? Ill pay for your time but I really don't want to mess this **** up. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:51 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

You can physically remove all the gear, get block off plates and get a tune that eliminates the A.I.R. system and the codes you'll get.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:35 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
You can physically remove all the gear, get block off plates and get a tune that eliminates the A.I.R. system and the codes you'll get.
I know I can physically remove it, the problem is I don't want to mess anything up cuz I don't know what I'm doing. I'm getting headers so I don't need any caps... I just want to fully remove the AIR system completely including the electrical part. But need help doing it. If that means to pay someone for their time that's fine just let me know if you can.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

The block of plate is for the intake
Old 03-21-2014, 10:00 PM
TECH Junkie

And the air pump is under the front bumper on the drivers side, there is a panel you can remove, take the pump out and remove the two lines going to it
Old 03-21-2014, 10:17 PM
TECH Resident

You just remove the pump under the head light like said above and remove anything attached to it. Put block off plates on your headers/manifolds and you're done. Its much simpler than you think. I'm in no way a mechanic or very skilled at working on cars and I did it in 30 mins. Hardest part is reaching to the back behind the manifold to disconnect the hoses there. Theres a write up on here somewhere but I dont have a link to it.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Stupid question:

Since you are in California, will the removal of the AIR system cause you to fail California Emissions testing and/or the "Visual Inspection" if you have one ?
Old 03-22-2014, 12:02 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ez2cdave
Stupid question:

Since you are in California, will the removal of the AIR system cause you to fail California Emissions testing and/or the "Visual Inspection" if you have one ?
I don't care about the test, I can get by it... I appreciate everyones reply but it seems easier said than done!
Old 03-22-2014, 07:24 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

The only thing you can't do yourself is the PCM tuning.

I suggest you go on ebay and purchase a second PCM for your car-they'll program it with your VIN. Then send it to a mail order tuning service such as PCMForless and have them tune out that A.I.R. stuff. While they're at it, they'll do a few little tuning tricks that will make your car run better. Tell them what mods you have (like you mentioned headers).

THEN, when you get the the tuned PCM, send them your original and for a small fee, they'll put the same tune into it. This way you always have a PCM on the shelf so you can send one out as you do mods and need more PCM adjustments.
Old 03-22-2014, 07:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by cwdub4
I don't care about the test, I can get by it... I appreciate everyones reply but it seems easier said than done!
You can't find your air pump under the front bumper?
Old 03-22-2014, 11:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only thing you can't do yourself is the PCM tuning. I suggest you go on ebay and purchase a second PCM for your car-they'll program it with your VIN. Then send it to a mail order tuning service such as PCMForless and have them tune out that A.I.R. stuff. While they're at it, they'll do a few little tuning tricks that will make your car run better. Tell them what mods you have (like you mentioned headers). THEN, when you get the the tuned PCM, send them your original and for a small fee, they'll put the same tune into it. This way you always have a PCM on the shelf so you can send one out as you do mods and need more PCM adjustments.
No codes or a tune just to delete the AIR system (This is incorrect as I have later found from my own notes and stated in my last post of this thread). The lid will have to be sealed off where the hose use to connect.

With the AIR gone the car should not fail inspection. Operationally, as long as the car is warmed up that means the Cats are hot and doing there job. This is a system that only operates during the first few minutes after startup. Visually, unless they specifically know what to look for (they would need the hood open, notice the two hoses missing [one to the lid and one that runs along the left fender well around towards the left/rear or the intake both originating from the pump] and the other small items that sit at the left/rear of the intake but that stuff is about hidden by the cowl) then they are really good at what they do.

I am interested in how the OP is having the headers installed. If he is doing it then I have no idea why he doesn't want to tackle the AIR delete. If he is having someone else install the headers then I say have them delete the AIR if dead set against doing it yourself and get charged a half hour of labor.

Last edited by ssgunny; 04-12-2014 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Correcting misinformation.
Old 03-22-2014, 01:15 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by ssgunny
No codes or a tune just to delete the AIR system.
Sorry, incorrect information.

The PCM performs occasional test running of the A.I.R. system and looks for a corresponding result of the system pumping cold air into the exhaust system reported by the 02 sensors.

If the A.I.R. system is not functioning correctly (or removed) the PCM will set a code and illuminate the SES light and the car cannot be tested for emissions for state inspection purposes.

It is this test that needs to be tuned out of the PCM. No test results in no failed test report which results in no failed test code and the SES light not be turned on.

If you drive in with the SES light on, you'll be turned away by any inspection station in any state that connects the the OBDII port.

If it's a state operated inspection station, an SES light may prompt the inspector to closely examine your emission system and if anything's missing, you may have to put it back. Some states may even put into their system that you removed gear so your car will be flagged for a thorough inspection regardless where you go.
Old 03-22-2014, 02:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sorry, incorrect information.
Apologize if this is the case but it didn't happen on my car when I deleted the AIR. I am the original owner. The only time I have had the SES light on in the 12 years owning it is when I put on the 85mm Delphi MAF which was addressed by a part throttle tune and then when headers/ORY were installed minus the rear O2s which the same tuner simply modified the same tune to tune them out.

I pulled the entire AIR system and it never triggered any codes for me.
Old 03-22-2014, 02:23 PM
TECH Junkie

I'm guessing he is not doing the headers himself otherwise this could turn out to be a very long thread!
Old 03-22-2014, 02:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 98CayenneT/A
I'm guessing he is not doing the headers himself otherwise this could turn out to be a very long thread!
Who cares as long as someone has learned something that brings them satisfaction...right? lol
Old 03-22-2014, 02:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ssgunny
Who cares as long as someone has learned something that brings them satisfaction...right? lol
I was not bashing, just a little joke, and if he chooses to do it himself I will be following this thread to help as I have been. For this summer I will probably need help from you guys with stuff that is simple for you guys by tuff for me
Old 03-22-2014, 03:47 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

No worries, ss, your experience is not the norm. Consider yourself lucky.
Old 03-22-2014, 03:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 98CayenneT/A
I was not bashing, just a little joke, and if he chooses to do it himself I will be following this thread to help as I have been. For this summer I will probably need help from you guys with stuff that is simple for you guys by tuff for me
Just a bit humorous. You need somewhat thick skin when using forums IMO.
Old 03-22-2014, 04:14 PM
On The Tree

Ok so maybe I havent made myself that clear... I plan on doing the install of the headers with a frined of mine. The headers i have dont have connector valves for the AIR system, therefore I will be deleting that part, I will be doing a dyno tune after the install so the codes are not a problem for me as I will be tuning those out. The ONLY issue is the electrical wires that connect to the rail on top of the Intake Mani. There is a solenoid on there and want to get rid of that because it connects to the AIR system. Im also terrified about the connections behind the Mani, like which ones to take off and which ones to leave on in order to FULLY remove the AIR system.

But SSGUN asked me to call him and stated he would walk me thru it.
Old 03-22-2014, 04:25 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

You never stated exactly what year this car is-there are some minor differences through the yeras. It'll also help if you post a pic of this solenoid on top of the intake manifold.

Quick Reply: Need to delete AIR system... HELP PLZ