LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

new engine 1150 miles no oil pres

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 12:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new engine 1150 miles no oil pres

So i was driving and seen yhe light for gages come on and looked no oil p. so i pulled over and looked under hood. normal. but i heard a ticking from the rocker area. so i got it towed. got home oils in the heads and rockers look ok but a tad loose. what could it be?
Old 03-22-2014, 01:17 PM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

It could be sudden loss of oil pressure. Get a mechanical gauge, place in port just above oil filter and verify it is not your sending unit. The ticking would be a bad sign of no oil pressure, however.
Old 03-22-2014, 04:23 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could be that your pick-up tube came of the pump.
If you drain your oil, you can tap on the bottom of the pan with a rubber mallet and see if you can hear the pick-up bouncing inside.
Also, check for metal shavings in your oil.
Old 03-22-2014, 06:01 PM
TECH Regular

I'll put money on a the oil pump drive gear under the intake.
Did you put in a after market cam? Stock oil pump gear?
Buddy of mine, his cam ate his oil pump drive gear and had this exact problem.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 96LT1Z
I'll put money on a the oil pump drive gear under the intake.
Did you put in a after market cam? Stock oil pump gear?
Buddy of mine, his cam ate his oil pump drive gear and had this exact problem.
Ding ding ding. you win a gold star! We put a hotcam in it. high velocity oil pump. the gear is shreaded!
Old 03-22-2014, 10:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by WCT13
Ding ding ding. you win a gold star! We put a hotcam in it. high velocity oil pump. the gear is shreaded!
HV pumps do that to 'em.
Old 03-22-2014, 10:41 PM
Staging Lane

Somebody needs to warn all the LT1 noobs out there somehow. I made the exact same mistake last year. Hotcam and HV oil pump. My rods waved goodbye about a week after I fixed the gear.
Old 03-22-2014, 11:19 PM
TECH Regular

Glad you fixed it!
Old 03-23-2014, 03:09 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ipaq3115
Somebody needs to warn all the LT1 noobs out there somehow. I made the exact same mistake last year. Hotcam and HV oil pump. My rods waved goodbye about a week after I fixed the gear.
Woah there....don't go scareing me! We bored it over and replace the pistons but not the rods and new bearings. i swear if it does this I'm selling it and buying a mopad.
Old 03-23-2014, 06:35 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by WCT13
Woah there....don't go scareing me! We bored it over and replace the pistons but not the rods and new bearings. i swear if it does this I'm selling it and buying a mopad.
Haha, sorry. What I didn't mention is that I was really close to home and like an idiot I drove about a mile home after I lost the gear. I'm guessing that's what did me in. I've since learned my lesson and it sounds like you did the right thing and got towed right away. Can't hurt to pull the bearing caps just to be sure while your under there swapping the oil pump out though.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:14 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

HV oilpump is usually a bigger problem than the aftermarket cam, some aftermarket cams have been sold with the wrong gear but the HV oilpump was just an extremely ignorant move that has been beaten to death here, people don't find that out though unless they are open to learning. Now if you made a choice that bad what else was done wrong? Lower compression, heavier pistons, LT4 springs with the heavier LT1 valves? I wish you luck but at the same time I would say prepare for the possibility of needing to find a used stock engine to replace this.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:33 AM
TECH Veteran

The warnings have been all over the LT1 boards for many years. Ya' just gotta listen.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:45 AM
11 Second Club

Too many newbs come here for blind praise of already made decisions or only to ask for help solving the problems they already caused like this. The first step in learning is being willing to learn, once that is refused something bad has to happen to open their mind.
Old 03-23-2014, 11:06 AM
On The Tree

Haha, sorry. What I didn't mention is that I was really close to home and like an idiot I drove about a mile home after I lost the gear. I'm guessing that's what did me in. I've since learned my lesson and it sounds like you did the right thing and got towed right away. Can't hurt to pull the bearing caps just to be sure while your under there swapping the oil pump out though.
The oil pump? Its fine isn't it? I thought we just had to replace the gear.
Old 03-23-2014, 11:15 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
HV oilpump is usually a bigger problem than the aftermarket cam, some aftermarket cams have been sold with the wrong gear but the HV oilpump was just an extremely ignorant move that has been beaten to death here, people don't find that out though unless they are open to learning. Now if you made a choice that bad what else was done wrong? Lower compression, heavier pistons, LT4 springs with the heavier LT1 valves? I wish you luck but at the same time I would say prepare for the possibility of needing to find a used stock engine to replace this.
We bought the cam used. Its just a little old hotcam. We got spring rated for .650 lift not sure of the name though, Not sure of the valves. I know we reused the intake but not the exhaust.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fed-Mogul-Premium-Engine-Rebuild-Kit-SBC-LT1-350-030-Bore-Stock-Rods-Mains-/331145444767?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d19ce7d9f&vxp=mtr
thats the kit we bought to rebuild the car with.
Old 03-23-2014, 11:24 AM
11 Second Club

So you put in heavier pistons with thicker rings that came with an oilpump that might have just destroyed the engine.

I would run a junkyard engine over that.
Old 03-23-2014, 12:34 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
So you put in heavier pistons with thicker rings that came with an oilpump that might have just destroyed the engine.

I would run a junkyard engine over that.
From what we read when we rebuilt the engine, the "rebuild kits" are designed to be dropped in without having to rebalance the engine. My car is NOT for strip use, its for a DD. a fun DD...the only reason we didn't use the old oil pump was because it looked like it was on its death bed. along with 95% of the stuff we pulled out of the car. This car will be LUCKY to see one strip visit in its life. the only reason we bored it over is because the piston walls were oval shaped. We had it bored .030 over along with it honed. The crank had to be turned from something cutting grooves in it.

This was a very extremely low budget rebuild. We can't afford to drop 800$ pistons into our car and go on with our lives. Those pistons have given us no problems at all yet. The bottom end was professionally put back together by a decent shop around here. If he thought it would of been a problem he would of told us.

Old 03-23-2014, 12:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

You do not need a HV oil pump, the most I go in my customers racing engine builds is a 10% higher volume oil pump. The oil pump that you installed is 25% higher volume than the stock oil pump and puts a lot of stress on the oil pump drive gear. That drive gear will break even with a stock oil pump let alone adding more stress to it.
Old 03-23-2014, 01:32 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1997bird
You do not need a HV oil pump, the most I go in my customers racing engine builds is a 10% higher volume oil pump. The oil pump that you installed is 25% higher volume than the stock oil pump and puts a lot of stress on the oil pump drive gear. That drive gear will break even with a stock oil pump let alone adding more stress to it.
Well is their a fix to the drive gear that can hold the new HV pump? We found that the Mallionized gears can hold them alot better then some of the other gears.
To replace that pump, we would have to take off something in the suspension to get the pan off right? And then we got to tac weld the pick up tube back in place.
Old 03-23-2014, 01:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Your best bet is to put in a SV pump or you will be risking everything all over again. Some of the old "professionals" do not understand that the SV pump is actually better for most applications.

Quick Reply: new engine 1150 miles no oil pres