General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

prothane trans mount. now vibrating

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 05:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default prothane trans mount. now vibrating

Hi all. So Friday i installed the Prothane transmission mount that i had laying around from my previous car on my 2000 Z28 A4. It was still in the package never installed. Immediately i had what feels like a drive line vibration that gets worse at 20 mph and 60 mph, also on hard take off. I know its all tight i put it all on with a 3/8" impact. I put about 150 miles on it and cant stand it. Is this normal for that stiff mount? I'm thinking i have a drive shaft issue maybe? Its not jar your teeth out bad, but its substantial enough that i am scared to mess something up lol. I know putting a stiff mount like that would make it feel different but this is just scary.
Old 03-23-2014, 06:09 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

some people say that it gets better the more you drive it, but i took it out after a week i couldnt ****** stand it.
Old 03-23-2014, 06:11 PM
Launching!

thats odd.. I just installed mine yesterday and everything feels fine to me. I installed an ES mount if it makes any difference.
Old 03-23-2014, 06:13 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jsteele90
some people say that it gets better the more you drive it, but i took it out after a week i couldnt ****** stand it.
I'm just scared to death that it is gonna cause damage to something. I feel like the car shaking like it does isnt good for anything.
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

I had vibrations also, don't know yet if I'm going to deal with it or not but I would say mine has loosened up a bit and the vibration is a little more subtle
Teching In

Originally Posted by EdgarB
thats odd.. I just installed mine yesterday and everything feels fine to me. I installed an ES mount if it makes any difference.
ES mount? is that a different brand?
Old 03-23-2014, 06:36 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ES = Energy suspension
Old 03-23-2014, 06:45 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Rebob5
ES = Energy suspension
AH! DUUUUHH.... -_-
Old 03-24-2014, 01:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

I replaced two stock trans mounts from gm before i finally decided to go to prothan. Yes, you will get vibration and Yes it will go away. I remember my automatic shifter used to vibrate and felt like the armrest shaked some to.

Also remember the car interior felt like it was shaking more when i was closer to 50mph or faster. Again, yes, it will go away within time. Its been more than ten years with mine and its still holding up to the abuse of a tough launch. Don't recall how long it takes for it to settle, if you do a lot of highway driving, just play the radio loud. Give it a couple weeks, you don't want to keep changing the trans mount as it will happen often if you drive fast.
Old 03-24-2014, 01:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I drove mine for a day with the prothane mount and had to take it out and put a stocker back in, it felt terrible. I replace the mount about once a year with my 315 DR's and shift kit lol

for lifetime warranty and an oreilly's with a fast turn around rate on their employees so they don't remember my ongoing "issue" lol
Old 03-24-2014, 01:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
I drove mine for a day with the prothane mount and had to take it out and put a stocker back in, it felt terrible. I replace the mount about once a year with my 315 DR's and shift kit lol

for lifetime warranty and an oreilly's with a fast turn around rate on their employees so they don't remember my ongoing "issue" lol
Haha, as bugging as it is at 'first' it is worth it. Its similar to when i first installed my loudmouth, it was terribly loud, but keep it and had it on for about 12 years, just replaced it cause baby thinks its to loud.

I think they also sell half prothan/rubber trans mounts, might want to look for those.
Old 03-24-2014, 06:38 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The prthane will loosen up over time. I had an ES and while it did get better it till shook and drove me nuts especially with an m6. My buddy has the prothane and after it broke it is smoother than the ES. From holding the 2 in my hand the ES uses a firmer poly so that's most likely it. I just ordered a new GM one from amazon and I'm happy lol
Old 03-24-2014, 06:44 AM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

I went back to a stock mount also from the urethane. If you are still concerned with how much the shift moves with the stock mount take a hammer and tap down the steal limiting ears. You end up with a trans that don't move as much at wot and the smoothness of the stock mount.
Old 03-24-2014, 02:23 PM
12 Second Club

Would one get MORE NVH with the Prothane trans mount, vs. the OEM/stocker, or less, when using either in conjuction with ES or Prothane ENGINE mounts??
Old 03-24-2014, 02:27 PM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

More.....especially if your tq arm is mounted to the crossmember.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have solid motor mounts and a crossmember mounted torque arm with a rubber trans mount. It actually seems to vibrate less than when I had a poly trans mount with stock everything else. Most of it has to do with the vibrations that come through the console. It think it just sounds worse than it is, but it was annoying so I put the rubber mount back in.
Old 03-25-2014, 03:40 PM
Teching In

This is on my replacement list. Sounds like the stock rubber is better for my dd application.
Old 03-25-2014, 05:46 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by MTN_Z
I have solid motor mounts and a crossmember mounted torque arm with a rubber trans mount. It actually seems to vibrate less than when I had a poly trans mount with stock everything else. Most of it has to do with the vibrations that come through the console. It think it just sounds worse than it is, but it was annoying so I put the rubber mount back in.

THANK YOU!

I guess I will go this route when I install the poly motor mounts, and just replace it every couple of years as it rips apart.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'd stick with the stock trans mount if you still have stock rubber engine mounts. Your biggest improvement will come from installing poly engine mounts, which will cut down on the vibration at the trans mount, and even increase the life of the stock rubber trans mount.
Old 03-26-2014, 01:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

All this talk about poly trans mount breaking after years of use gives me another project this weekend.

I only went to a poly trans mount cause i had too, my car is daily driver, and if the the stock trans mount held up in my car with my driving habits i'd keep it stock but 60 bucks from gm for the stock trans mount is too much money to keep buy two a year.

Quick Reply: prothane trans mount. now vibrating