General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Reupholster Headliner....Whos Done It?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 06:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Reupholster Headliner....Whos Done It?

I need to do something with my headliner and I've been quoted $300 to reupholster it,which I think is crazy. I'm going to do it myself.

I have no problem taking it out,fixing it and reinstalling it. But I do need to see what you used for the fabric. I have numerous fabric stores around me,so shouldn't be an issue. Do I just need to get the fabric or fabric with padding,etc?

My headliner is gray,but I'm thinking about using black.

Let me know.Thanks
Old 03-23-2014, 07:14 PM
Teching In

its actually quite simple. there are websites that sell headliner material and the glue as a package deal. I definitely recommend getting at least two cans of headliner adhesive or the 3M spray glue works good too. The trick to getting it to look good is to get all the fabric AND FOAM off of the headliner board. get it as stripped down as you can. Then before you glue anything lay the headliner material on the headliner board. Take half of the material and fold it over. Spray BOTH the material and the board with the glue and let it tack up before you try and fold the material back over on it. Simply press it all down on the glued half and repeat the process for the other half. I trimmed my material about 1 1/2" from the edge of the board all the way around and then sprayed glue and folded it over to give it a clean look. I think i spent around $60 to do the one in my civic. Hope this helps
Old 03-23-2014, 07:16 PM
Teching In

Here is the link to the place i got my headliner material from. like i said double up on the glue! http://www.stockinteriors.com/headlinerfabric.asp
Old 03-23-2014, 07:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by MattyJ540
Here is the link to the place i got my headliner material from. like i said double up on the glue! http://www.stockinteriors.com/headlinerfabric.asp
Thanks. I'll check them out.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

this thread is a god send. how much material did you order?
Old 03-23-2014, 07:36 PM
Teching In

i would tell you but it would be a lie lol. I cant remember at all its been about a year since i did it. Also it was for my 4 door beater civic which has a lot more headliner that our cars lol
Old 03-23-2014, 07:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Found on another site that jo-ann fabrics has the felt with a foam liner. Just need to tell them that you are replacing the headliner material. I'll have to run by there tomorrow and see what they have. Apparently they have the adhesive also.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If you don't mind, shoot me a pm with cost of materials and what not after you go! Im needing to do the same thing, but I don't want to drive 1.5 hours to their nearest location for nothing! Good luck with the little project either way!
Old 03-25-2014, 03:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I did it last year for like $30 of materials. I went to jo-ann fabrics and got like 3 yards of headliner material and some spray adhesive. I messed up the middle section so I need to redo it. Word of advice...start from the middle and go out.
Old 03-26-2014, 04:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Find a new shop, and ask for a quote with you removing the headliner, not them. Part of the price is for them to remove and install it. I paid $60 for a shop to redo my t-top headliner.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Finally went to Jo-Ann fabrics today to see what they had.
They had tan,gray and black for $14.99/yd. I didn't get any since my wife has coupons and I'll have her get it to save some money.
Figure I need 2 yards (6ft x 54"wide) . I have t-tops so I m going to get extra for the t-top covers.

I then went to Hancock Fabrics basically the same material at the same price ($14.99/yd),but had 20 different colors.

I already have some headliner adhesive,but Jo-Anns had some also for $19.99 a can. Seems high to me.

Guess once warmer weather hits I'll take out the headliner and see how it goes.

Quick Reply: Reupholster Headliner....Whos Done It?