Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

R/R Rear End Now Driveshaft Is Too Short ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 02:31 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default R/R Rear End Now Driveshaft Is Too Short ?

'01 TA A4

The 10 bolt was one legging so I installed an Eaton with Motive 3.73's. While re-installing the rear end I followed the steps in the Helms manual. When it was time to connect the drive shaft to the pinion yoke there is about an inch between it and the U joint. I tried pulling the drive shaft back a bit but it would not slide out of the transmission, even in neutral. Everything else is connected loose less the drive shaft. The setup has not changed except for the diff/gear install.

Suggestions?
Old 03-25-2014, 08:36 PM
duh
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pull harder, it should slide out of the trans enough to reconnect it. The driveshaft does not sit all the way in to the back of the trans, especially with the rear suspension unloaded.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:26 PM
Launching!

Will do. The car is/was bone stock so I can only assume that the drive shaft could be a bit frozen on the transmission output shaft.
Old 03-29-2014, 01:45 AM
Launching!

Had to tap the driveshaft with a hammer to break it loose from the trans so it would slide back. I suppose a stock car after 100K miles makes the original parts tight as fake ****.

Quick Reply: R/R Rear End Now Driveshaft Is Too Short ?