Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Methanol tank - How to attach a fitting??

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 06:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Methanol tank - How to attach a fitting??

Well...basically the title sums it up. I bought a meth injection kit from alky control, and it came with a factory style coolant tank for a third gen trans am meant to be used to hold the methanol. I'm having a bit of a dilemma and it's really the last puzzle piece before I can get out and start tuning with the kit on. The tank has a plastic barb at the bottom which is part of the tank. Originally, the kit was designed to use that barb to feed the methanol pump, but my downpipe for my turbo is conveniently in the way so I can't use that barb. Anybody have any ideas on plugging the barb up and then somehow getting a bulkhead style fitting on the front side of the tank that will be compatible with the methanol? I know rubber is normally out of the question which is why this has me stumped on how to do it!

Anyways, heres a few pics so you see what I mean...

You can see the barb at the botton corner of the tank here.

Heres a better shot...I'd like to plug it up completely but am not 100% sure how without a rubber plug...

And this is the area where I'd like to add the new fitting. Nice and flat, just not sure how to do it without using some sort of rubber seal or washer.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You do realize that your windshield washer fluid is 50/50 water/meth and it uses rubber lines, correct?
Old 03-25-2014, 10:28 PM
8 Second Club

Received 676 Likes on 499 Posts

You can use any "push lock" threaded fitting or any AN type fitting. Try to stay away from brass. Nickle plated or anodized alum is ok. Just drill tap and seal it with 100% silicone. Same with plugging the barb. Machine screw and 100% silicone would work fine.

The tank is pretty close to the hotside that may not be a good idea without some more shielding at least. Most washer fluid is only 20% meth and even 50% meth and water is NOT flammable. Doesn't mean it won't melt your reservoir though.

Good luck.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HexenLord
You do realize that your windshield washer fluid is 50/50 water/meth and it uses rubber lines, correct?
Most washer fluid I was under the impression was mostly water and just a bit of methanol. Either way, I figured 100% meth which is what I'll be running was not compatible with rubber.

Originally Posted by Forcefed86
You can use any "push lock" threaded fitting or any AN type fitting. Try to stay away from brass. Nickle plated or anodized alum is ok. Just drill tap and seal it with 100% silicone. Same with plugging the barb. Machine screw and 100% silicone would work fine.

The tank is pretty close to the hotside that may not be a good idea without some more shielding at least. Most washer fluid is only 20% meth and even 50% meth and water is NOT flammable. Doesn't mean it won't melt your reservoir though.

Good luck.
Thanks for the silicone pointers. I didn't know that silicone was resistant to methanol! And the tank looks closer than it is in these pics. Theres at least an inch of clearance at any point between the tank and downpipe. I may try to find the heat shield that the factory 89 TTA's had around that tank from the factory which would help. Julio at alky control assured me that with those clearances, it should be perfectly fine with the downpipe wrapped. I've always said better safe than sorry though!
Old 03-26-2014, 11:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used one of these on my stock washer tank and it worked great.

http://www.alcohol-injection.com/en/...-tank-tap.html

Quick Reply: Methanol tank - How to attach a fitting??