General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Z28 nearing 160,000 miles old

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 10:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Z28 nearing 160,000 miles old

Car is almost going to hit 160,000 miles.

Any suggestions on what things I should get ready for replacing b/c of wear and tear? Here a few things I've already changed in the last 4 years:

clutch
waterpump
A/C compressor kit
fuel filter
serpentine belts
throttle position sensor
went with 160AMP alternator
Old 03-26-2014, 02:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Not that you need it but some new valve springs would be a cheap upgrade... Or resurface the heads, valve job, new springs, new valve seals..

That would be very affordable and would prolog the engine life..

160k is getting up there though, although some have gone 200k+

Just something to keep in mind
Old 03-26-2014, 08:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Just make sure to keep up the maintenance intervals and it will help as well.
Old 03-28-2014, 04:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks guys. I will be mindful.
Old 03-28-2014, 04:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Change the oil in the trans and rear.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had double that mileage(260,xxx) on my previous '99 Z28 when I sold it several years ago. Kept it all stock except for a Flowmaster 40 which was on it when I bought it(ironically at around the same mileage you're at now, a little less, 155,xxx).

The only parts I had to replace in the few years that I owned and daily drove it were a BCM, Cam Sensor, Oil Pressure Sending Unit, and a fuel pump. Mind you this was all at over the 200,xxx mile mark.

It was a good car and was reliable. I did beat on it more than I probably should have considering the high miles it had but it took the abuse and asked for more, rarely giving me any problems aside from the four I mentioned above.

Of course I was extremely **** about keeping all the fluids changed and up to date and regular routine maintenance that any car should have regardless of make, model, year, mileage.

These LS1's are damn good motors and if properly taken care of will take care of you.

Good luck with the next 100,000!
Old 03-31-2014, 07:38 PM
12 Second Club

I also have > 160K miles on mine (no fair weather, garage queen, toy here!), and YES it has served me well without asking too much in return, especially for how I beat on it like the proverbial 'red-headed step child' (and NOT just straight line blasts/drag racing like everyone else, but also open tracking, autocross, HPDEs, etc. where the brakes, steering components, and suspension/unibody are stressed to the MAX).

The fuel pump owes you NOTHING at this point, so do not be upset if that goes soon, and the starter might also go in the next 50K miles or so, depending on how many start cycles/city miles are on it for those 160K.

But yes, I am WORSE THAN the MOST OCD member on here as far as changing out fluids (and using the absolute BEST ones I can find regardless of cost, and whether or not an LS1 f body "needs" them or not!!) goes, to the point of actually over changing some, and 'wasting' coin (I change out the diff/rear axle fluid TWICE a year, < 8K miles, with some VERY expensive Millers synthetic gear oil for example).
Old 03-31-2014, 09:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

+1 on the fuel pump going, i went after 170k miles, am going on 190k in about 1100 miles more. I still need to do some preventive maintenace aswell. I have never replaced the rear end fluid or power steering something i need to do. Also thinking of upgrading to the new design starter. Good luck, i drive my car hard and its been good to me, as i to it, Z/28 am 2nd owner got at 55k.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks a bunch guys!

New question of concern. I've noticed in the last couple weeks or so that even before I put down the e-brake handle, the red brake light on the dash is already off. And sometimes, even after I've put it down (yes, all the way down), the brake light stays on. What gives?

p.s. absolutely no problem with braking so far. And on an incline, with the e-brake set, car doesn't budge an inch (still holds well).

Quick Reply: Z28 nearing 160,000 miles old