Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

nitrous and converter question

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 07:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nitrous and converter question

Please educate me on what it means to "blow through the converter." I don't understand that phrase nor how it would affect ET and/or MPH.

We have a 2004 Corvette coupe that has gone a best of 11.58 @ 114 with a 1.50 60' using bolt-ons and an IHRA Pure Stock legal cam (stock lift/duration). It makes 372 at the wheels. Our converter is a Yank SS4000.

This winter we added a plate system with a NANO kit and plan to spray 150. Our ultimate goal on this phase of mods is to be in the 10.5x range. I'm going to have Phil do a set of 243s and add a more aggressive camshaft and after that round of ugrades we hope to land solidly in the 9s. But for now we'll spray and see how it goes.

Talking to Dave at Yank and doing some research I'm hearing that we might blow through the converter. What does that mean and how much will it affect performance? Will it hurt the transmission? The nitrous is turned off just before the shifts with the NOS WOT RPM box.

I'll of course have the converter restalled to whatever it needs to be to optimize performance but not right away. Taking the TC out on a C5 is a PITA and we do all of our own work in our little 2-car garage. For now we'd like to race it and see how it goes.

Thanks in advance for helping us understand.

Scott
Old 03-28-2014, 11:34 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Blowing thru it means that the converter is no lopnger coupling like it should. It will feel like the car went into neutral on the nitrous but will work fine on the motor. I don't see a 150 shot blowing thru that converter, plus you have a lighter car. I think it would take more than that to blow thru it. It won't hurt the trans at all. Run it and see.
Old 03-28-2014, 01:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. Yes, I need to run it. Would really like to find someone with HP Tuners on their laptop and pay them to meet me at the track and data log some NA and nitrous runs and let Dave at Yank look at what the converter is doing and see if any adjustments need to be made.

Scott

Quick Reply: nitrous and converter question