General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Battery question.....opinions.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 10:04 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Battery question.....opinions.....

So I was away in Kuwait for 10 weeks and my girlfriend did not run my car enough to keep my battery charged......by the time I got home it was acting all messed up. It would hold a charge, then the next time I try to start the engine it's too drained to start. Had to jump it a few times.

So of course I took it back to Bennett where I bought it and it tested BAD, replace the battery.

So lucky me.....I was in my last month of free replacement......so I got a brand new 78-7yr for free.

QUESTION/OPNIONS:

I just had to leave again, this time ill be gone 7 1/2 weeks. I didn't have enough time last minute before I left to get a battery tender.....I parked it and disconnected both pos and neg cables. It's 3 weeks old and fully charged.

......You think that thing will be dead when I return???

Or will it hold the charge just fine and start right up in 7 1/2 weeks from now?

Old 03-29-2014, 02:30 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,069 Posts

Originally Posted by LS6427
QUESTION/OPNIONS:

I just had to leave again, this time ill be gone 7 1/2 weeks. I didn't have enough time last minute before I left to get a battery tender.....I parked it and disconnected both pos and neg cables. It's 3 weeks old and fully charged.

......You think that thing will be dead when I return???

Or will it hold the charge just fine and start right up in 7 1/2 weeks from now?

If a brand new, fully charged and disconnected battery is dead in 7.5 weeks, then it was a faulty battery.

The battery in my Nova has been sitting disconnected since October, and I just checked voltage in it a few weeks ago......12.4x....after 4+ months with no tender connected. It was brand new as of last summer.

Even my '98's battery will hold enough charge (12+ volts) to start the engine after sitting connected for 4-6+ weeks without a tender. And that battery is 5 years old now. So yours being disconnected and brand new means that there should be no issues at all over that short period.
Old 03-29-2014, 03:13 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
If a brand new, fully charged and disconnected battery is dead in 7.5 weeks, then it was a faulty battery.

The battery in my Nova has been sitting disconnected since October, and I just checked voltage in it a few weeks ago......12.4x....after 4+ months with no tender connected. It was brand new as of last summer.

Even my '98's battery will hold enough charge (12+ volts) to start the engine after sitting connected for 4-6+ weeks without a tender. And that battery is 5 years old now. So yours being disconnected and brand new means that there should be no issues at all over that short period.
That's cool.....it should be good to go when I get back than. I've never had a battery in a car that wasn't used every day or every week.

Old 03-29-2014, 07:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

new batteries sit 3-6 months on the store shelves before you buy it.
if it was at or very near 100% state of charge before you disconnected it then it will be fine for 2 months.
Old 03-31-2014, 07:44 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ALL of the above responses are correct, BUT, IF you are going to be overseas for any other extended periods of time, I would invest in either a Battery Tender, or a CTEK for next time.

Your battery will last MUCH longer that way, and I would even plug it in overnight every once and a while even when you are daily driving it.
Old 04-06-2014, 04:47 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dailydriver
ALL of the above responses are correct, BUT, IF you are going to be overseas for any other extended periods of time, I would invest in either a Battery Tender, or a CTEK for next time.

Your battery will last MUCH longer that way, and I would even plug it in overnight every once and a while even when you are daily driving it.

I got a CTEK for the motorcycle a couple winters ago. I really like it. I threw it on the Trans Am a couple times this past winter for a few days at a time. It made a difference when it was time to start it up.

I prefer not to start the Trans Am and let it idle just for the sake of the battery. I would rather have a battery tender on there.

I plan on getting another CTEK this fall and dedicate it to the TA. They offer a cigarette lighter adapter. I will probably go that route so I don't have to pop the hood just to connect/disconnect.

And..... I gotta say it..... no offense to anyone..... But, I would rather not have anyone else be starting up my TA while I was gone. If they are not car savvy and something goes wrong, you may end up with more damage than anything.

Quick Reply: Battery question.....opinions.....