Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Ford 8.8 and 9" guys I need some help/pics!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 11:26 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Ford 8.8 and 9" guys I need some help/pics!

I need a few picture from people with aftermarket rear ends

I'm finishing up refitting the Ford 8.8 rear end to go in the LS1 and I am fitting it to retain the 4ch ABS (it previously didn't have ABS as my 96 was a 3ch setup)

I've ordered the ABS rings from Moser to go on the 31 spline axles but I want to be sure these are pressed on the correct way.

So what I have is new axle bearings (that get pressed onto the axle) the press ring (just looks like a metal ring/sleeve) the backing plates and the ABS rings

First dumb question - What is the order these go in starting from the outside most part of the axle I am assuming Backing plate, abs ring, bearing, press ring?

Next dumb question, the ABS ring is slightly tapered on one side...which way are these supposed to be pressed onto the axle? They almost look chamfered on one side and straight edged on the other

Last dumb question- I always label things when I take them off, but for whatever God unknown reason (must have hit my head that morning) I didnt label the backing plates when I stripped them off the 10 bolt. How do these go on? I think it is parking break lever on the bottom, which means the ABS sensor goes towards the front or rear of the vehicle?

If anyone can post pictures of an axle and how the abs ring is installed (especially if it is an aftermarket piece with 4 channel abs) I'd really really appreciate it. The rear end uses a Ford 9" bearing, so guys with the FOrd 9" might have the same type of pictures!

Thanks!
Old 04-01-2014, 01:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

I have a nice diagram I got from Strange Engineering. Let me know your e-mail address and I can send it to you.

Just curious what you did for a torque arm mount on your 8.8.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:55 PM
TECH Regular

sending a PM now! Thanks
Old 04-01-2014, 10:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Is this what you were looking for?

http://www.midwestchassis.com/upload...85499_orig.jpg
Old 04-01-2014, 10:26 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
yes!...one of the things. What the heck is that piece between the axle face and the ABS ring?

I still need to figure out which way the ABS ring gets pressed onto the axle? I want to assume that the tapered portion of the ring would be on the right side of that ABS ring when looking at that picture? it would make sense so that it helps the ring line up on the shaft of the axle without having to worry about it going **** eye?

I hate assuming though...
Old 04-02-2014, 07:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Mike - I sent you the document from Strange. It looks a lot like the pic 99 posted.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:02 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LETZRIDE
yes!...one of the things. What the heck is that piece between the axle face and the ABS ring?

I still need to figure out which way the ABS ring gets pressed onto the axle? I want to assume that the tapered portion of the ring would be on the right side of that ABS ring when looking at that picture? it would make sense so that it helps the ring line up on the shaft of the axle without having to worry about it going **** eye?

I hate assuming though...
That is the stacking order to install with Strange axles. The black sleeve is the bearing spacer that has to be installed after the abs ring and adapter are on. The Moser axle setup is a bit different, but the theory is the same.

The Moser abs rings have a taper cut into one side of the bore which needs to go toward the axle flange.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:52 AM
TECH Regular

That is what I was thinking.

Anyone want to snap me a quick picture of their back brakes as it sits on the car? and just confirm that the parking brake lever is infact on the bottom?
Old 04-03-2014, 12:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Old 04-03-2014, 01:08 PM
TECH Regular

Sweet and that is driverside correct?
Old 04-03-2014, 01:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

^^^ That's the passenger side. ^^^
Old 04-03-2014, 09:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
^^^ That's the passenger side. ^^^
Yep, PS.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:53 AM
TECH Regular

sweet thanks guys!
Old 04-04-2014, 09:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The beveled part of the Moser reluctor rings goes towards the outside of the rear, when you press it on, youll see that the bevel provides clearance for the wheel studs (or at least the screw in studs in my case). I just went through all this bs to keep ABS/TC, and it still goes crazy and throws ABS Inop light above 60.

Part stack up:
1 - ABS ring
2 - Backing plate
3 - Bearing
4 - Press Ring

Double and triple check part orientation before pressing on the ring. Make sure the backing plate is oriented correctly, and if you have different size axles for left and right (which I believe 9" are different sizes), make sure the left backing plate is on the left, right on the right. They're both marked L or R.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:48 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Rob WS6
The beveled part of the Moser reluctor rings goes towards the outside of the rear, when you press it on, youll see that the bevel provides clearance for the wheel studs (or at least the screw in studs in my case). I just went through all this bs to keep ABS/TC, and it still goes crazy and throws ABS Inop light above 60.

Part stack up:
1 - ABS ring
2 - Backing plate
3 - Bearing
4 - Press Ring

Double and triple check part orientation before pressing on the ring. Make sure the backing plate is oriented correctly, and if you have different size axles for left and right (which I believe 9" are different sizes), make sure the left backing plate is on the left, right on the right. They're both marked L or R.
Why are you getting an inop light above 60?, is there too much space between your sensor and the ring that it is not reading correctly?
Old 04-05-2014, 11:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Not sure, but that's what Im thinking. Im also using the Moser reluctor rings, so that may have something to do with it. I haven't been able to find a spec clearance wise from the reluctor to the sensor, but there is no adjustment left as is. If it would need to be any closer, Id have some grinding to do.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:38 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Rob WS6
Not sure, but that's what Im thinking. Im also using the Moser reluctor rings, so that may have something to do with it. I haven't been able to find a spec clearance wise from the reluctor to the sensor, but there is no adjustment left as is. If it would need to be any closer, Id have some grinding to do.
do you have a picture?
Old 04-30-2014, 11:21 PM
TECH Regular

did anyone else who installed a Ford 8.8 have their rear brake calipers not line up with the rotors?

I never had this issue on my 96, but I seem to have this issue on my 02 LS1...I'm wondering if I need to use the spacer that goes between the axle housing and brake caliper plate (wasn't needed on my 96) but I am not sure and it is too late to finish trying tonight

It looks like either the caliper has to come out from the car, or the axle/bracket need to move further in towards the center of the car. I'm trying to picture how the spacer would effect everything, it should move everything closer to the face of the axle which should accomplish what I want right?

Or did I miss something to be able to install this in an LS1 vs an LT1 car??
Old 05-01-2014, 09:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

The LS backing plates don't use that 1/8" spacer, that's only for the LT style. That spacer would effectively put the rotor 1/8" farther out of the axle which seems like the opposite of what you want.

How is the rotor alignment with the caliper bracket itself? That's what you need to worry about. Install the rotor with a couple lugs and put on the caliper bracket. If it clears and there is no interference, then you are good to go as the caliper is floating and has some room to move each way.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:12 AM
TECH Regular

I didn't need that spacer with my LT1 brake setup on my 96... Right now if I install the rotor on the car and go to bolt the caliper in, the only possible way to get the caliper on is to remove the one brake pad on the opposite side of the piston... The calipers are open all the way and if I unload the caliper and install it with the rotor off, I can see just based on the parking brake shoe piece that I am misaligned by a good 1/8" or so.

My thinking (now that I have had some sleep) is that spacer would move the bracket as a whole closer to the axle face which is what also holds the rotor, so technically that would make the rotor act as if it is sinking further back towards the middle of the car, which is what I think I want?

I should have just snapped a picture last night before I said fck it for the night lol

Quick Reply: Ford 8.8 and 9" guys I need some help/pics!