LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

smoke on deceleration (vacuum)

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 12:35 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default smoke on deceleration (vacuum)

Hey guys I have a problem ive been working on for some time now. I build cars on the side, last build was a 93 m6 camaro, custom built rear mount turbo kit. Motor fully built etc, etc etc…. right when we started to drive it, it smokes on Hey guys I have a problem ive been working on for some time now. I build cars on the side, last build was a 93 m6 camaro, custom built rear mount turbo kit. Motor fully built etc, etc etc…. right when we started to drive it, it smokes on deceleration (under vacuum) only time it smokes. I unhooked turbo, wasn’t that, but new intake gaskets in, didn’t help, no im on to valve seals. I know numbers 1, 2, and 7 burn oil. I started with intake on #1 this is what I found. All new on this build about 2k miles. Think they are patriot springs. Has 3 springs.. (under vacuum) only time it smokes. I unhooked turbo, wasn’t that, but new intake gaskets in, didn’t help, no im on to valve seals. I know numbers 1, 2, and 7 burn oil. I started with intake on #1 this is what I found. All new on this build about 2k miles. Think they are patriot springs. Has 3 springs.. looks like it is getting pushed on by inner spring. is that pushing it over far enough and making is it not seal on the other side?

Old 04-01-2014, 01:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I cant really see the biasing over of the seal as being the root cause of the smoking. Could be wrong. But clearly the inner coil should NOT be contacting the seal.

This is the reason I had my LT1 stock guides cut down to .500" so that I could easily run any dual valve spring required with no risk of contacting the guide. When I have installed dual springs on stock diameter guided heads, the clearance between the seal and the inner spring is around .020" or so which is very tight but not really an overbearing concern unless there is contact. I saw one car where the inner coil actually pulled the valve seal off of the seat. Not good.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:25 PM
10 Second Club

i think this was starting to pull off. i measured the head and it was like .5295. I have only taken one off so far. How should this be fixed?
Old 04-04-2014, 01:39 PM
TECH Resident

Are the heads ported to the point where the rocker stud holes are open to the intake ports?
[IMG][/IMG]

See the hole in the upper left hand corner? If you have the heads ported extensively enough you will break into these holes for the rocker studs and if you dont seal the threads I could see it pulling oil through them on heavy vacuum

Might be something to check out, from the look of the valve seals you have something going on, but may not be the whole story
Old 04-04-2014, 08:15 PM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Worst case scenario is you have a cracked/broken ring land or two.

Quick Reply: smoke on deceleration (vacuum)