LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

help.

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 09:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help.

ok I have a 93 z28 a4. I had to put a new short block in it and now I don't have injector pulse and it will only click when I try to start with key. but it will crank when I jump the terminals with a screw driver. ive gone over it 50 times and cant find the issue.

the battery has a full charge. I have to be missing something simple some one plz help... I want my car
Old 04-01-2014, 09:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like you have some electrical issue.

I will cover the standard basics so we can rule out the obvious.

What's the condition of the opti, coil, wires and plugs?

Check all the grounds, and all connections including wiring harnesses.

How old is the starter?

Do you have any data logging capability? How does it run once you do fire it up?
Old 04-01-2014, 09:39 PM
Teching In

I guess I should of said I have spark lol. just replaced the starter today. I do not have the ability to data log yet.

I haven't started it with the new motor yet. but with the old motor it ran great and fired right up every time with no probs.

keep in mind I had the whole motor harness k member everything out so it was all unhooked.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:40 PM
Teching In

coil is older wires are newer as well as plugs. I have power to the injectors but no pulse
Old 04-01-2014, 09:46 PM
TECH Addict

Well, verify all the connections and grounds first. It could easily be something not connected.

If its still no go after that, a new could is fairly inexpensive and easy to replace. You never answered me on the opti, so I'm gonna assume its old also. They are finicky, and the greatest downfall and poorest design of the LT1. Its sucks, but if you are up to this point and still not running, the opti will be the next culprit.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:48 PM
Teching In

sry the opti is newer msd.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:53 PM
Teching In

ive gone over all the wires and grounds. only thing that's not hooked up is the coolant level sensor and abs wheel speed sensors. would the knock sensor keep it from sending injector pulse? what about the starter?
Old 04-01-2014, 10:00 PM
TECH Addict

Even newer opti's can go bad easily. I have had a brand new one go out in less than 5,000 miles. If you have a friend that has a working one, I'd still try to swap it.

You need a knock sensor, but that will just pull timing, I don't see it not allowing you to start the car. Coolant sensor won't do anything that should hinder the start. The starter definately would, but you said it was new, and unlike the opti, starters usually don't go out if they are newer. You could try something a little out of the box, and try jump starting it from another car. All that should really eliminate is a possible bad battery though.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:08 PM
Teching In

I meant what would cause the starter to just click off the key only? when I try to start it at the key it clicks, but when I jump the starter it cranks fine.

fml ive dumped so much in this car already... now an opti too.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:39 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Usarmytanker2006
I meant what would cause the starter to just click off the key only? when I try to start it at the key it clicks, but when I jump the starter it cranks fine.

fml ive dumped so much in this car already... now an opti too.
Ah yes, the eternal woes of owning and maintaining an LT1 opti car.

That's weird about the starter. I'm not sure what the deal is there. You'll need to get someone with more expertise on the starter than me. But logic says, if you jump the starter, and it does try to crank the car over, but it won't start, there is something else going on preventing it from starting. Either electrical or fuel. You should be able to narrow this by checking your fuel pressure, and verifying that you are getting spark when jumping the starter and attempting to start the car.

Has the fuel filter been changed recently? How old is the fuel pump? (If you are getting good fuel pressure, these should be fine)
Old 04-01-2014, 10:43 PM
Teching In

did all that lol. im thinking maybe the opti has something to do with the starter. I know the injectors are triggered off the opti, but y would I get spark if the opit is bad?

dose anyone know how much msd charges to repair their opti?
Old 04-01-2014, 11:09 PM
TECH Addict

did all that lol. im thinking maybe the opti has something to do with the starter. I know the injectors are triggered off the opti, but y would I get spark if the opit is bad?

dose anyone know how much msd charges to repair their opti?
When you said you did all that, did you mean you verified you had both spark and fuel pressure? What what the fuel pressure at? There are lots of people on here, I would try to borrow and opti before I went with buying or repairing one. At least until we know for sure it is the opti. If you borrow one and everything works, then you'll feel better dropping the $ than if you first drop the $ and later realize your existing opti was fine.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:09 PM
Teching In

or is that kinda like the posi track on a Plymouth ? it just dose lmao..
Old 04-01-2014, 11:13 PM
Teching In

I don't have a pressure gauge just checked the valve and it was a good squirt. and I can hear the pump kick on. and I pulled a plug and watched it spark it was a nice blue spark.
Old 04-02-2014, 02:43 AM
Teching In

maybe the icm is what it could be I need to get out my multi meter and start checking. looks like I know what ill be doing tomorrow.
Old 04-02-2014, 06:48 AM
TECH Addict

I don't have a pressure gauge just checked the valve and it was a good squirt. and I can hear the pump kick on. and I pulled a plug and watched it spark it was a nice blue spark.
You need to get a fuel pressure gauge to check it. A "good squirt" could be practically anything, including residual pressure in the lines. You need to verify the actual fual pressure while the car is trying to start and verify that good squirt you saw is actually the correct fuel pressure that is needed to start the car. You should be able to rent one from Autozone for free.

I would also check all the plugs with a voltmeter via the wires to know for sure. Checkng the ICM is not a bad idea. Also, check the pigtail PCM harness. This was once corroded on me and was bad even though it was clearly connected properly.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:06 AM
Teching In

Ok I'm going to go get a fuel pressure gauge and star testing wires to do this the right way.. Thanks call911 I'll let u know what I find
Old 04-02-2014, 10:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 04-02-2014, 10:24 AM
Teching In

Is the ground strap from the battery ground = tight to the engine block? Was the block painted and maybe not giving you a good ground? If you have a multimeter, I would measure the voltage at the starter while cranking. Hook the positive lead to the + terminal on the starter and the negative lead to somewhere on the block; not the -batt terminal. You are trying to make sure the voltage doesn't drop significantly. Then try again with the negative lead on the negative battery terminal. You can get a good idea of the voltage drop this way. Did you check all your fusible links too?
Old 04-02-2014, 11:58 AM
Teching In

Ok fuel pressure is 45 key on and 50 cranking. I have bat v at the opti but have to charge battery now.
yes I did paint the block but took all the paint off where the grounds go. But I will to a draw yes and voltage drop test as well.
on a good note called msd if it is the opti they will fix it for 112$

Quick Reply: help.