Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Braided hose 90 Degree problems???

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 08:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Braided hose 90 Degree problems???

So I have a problem with my crossover 90 degree fittings leaking....They only leak when you wiggle them and they leak out of the little hole on the tube nut? Is there something I am missing here? It is rubber braided hose and the hose and fittings came with my speed inc. rails. I have braided PTFE hose between my connections from sending unit to hard lines and from fuel filter to the rail and that stuff is rock solid and doesn't leak when wiggled, rattled, moved u name it. Anyone know what might be up with these stupid fittings???? If I have to I'll order ptfe fittings to go on the extra hose I have and do that but if I can save on spending the money that'd be nice. Here is a picture of the fitting
Old 04-02-2014, 08:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

They're made up wrong. You need to leave 1/16" clearance between (red) nut and (blue) fitting. You might be able to redo them...
Old 04-02-2014, 09:56 PM
On The Tree

Really? Because I don't see how leaving clearance between the hose end and nut is going to make it any more solid? That nut is insanely wobbly on the end of the fitting.... I can try it but I went ahead and ordered some ptfe ends tonight..... The ptfe is just all around better imo
Old 04-02-2014, 10:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 84lsvette
Really? Because I don't see how leaving clearance between the hose end and nut is going to make it any more solid? That nut is insanely wobbly on the end of the fitting.... I can try it but I went ahead and ordered some ptfe ends tonight..... The ptfe is just all around better imo
DL and read the instructions!
Old 04-03-2014, 03:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Change it to PTFE hose, rubber hose is going to leak.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:33 AM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by S10xGN
They're made up wrong. You need to leave 1/16" clearance between (red) nut and (blue) fitting. You might be able to redo them...
I've always bottomed mine out.

When the pin wobbles and leaks its time to replace them
Old 04-03-2014, 08:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

When you say tubing nut do you mean the nut on the flare end or the nut that buts against the red nut?

If it is leaking out of the pin hole on the flare end then it is not seated properly. It has nothing to do with the red nut. It is possible that the flare inside the blue nut is damaged possibly cracked.

If it is the nut butted against the red nut then again I would think there is some damage to the tube. If the hose was not inserted far enough into the red nut you would see leaking between the red & blue.

From the picture it looks like the fitting is damaged.

I have assembled 100's of AN fittings and frequently there is no space between the red & blue and they don't leak.

I don't agree with the statement that rubber is going to leak. People have been using it for many years with no problems. It is more susceptible to corrosion from the ethanol being put into gas these days but it takes years before you should see any issues from that.

PTFE is great but many people cant afford it.

Good luck.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ss performance
I don't agree with the statement that rubber is going to leak. People have been using it for many years with no problems. It is more susceptible to corrosion from the ethanol being put into gas these days but it takes years before you should see any issues from that.
PTFE is great but many people cant afford it.
Good luck.
I direct your attention to this forum discussion at Pro touring.com
http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/6...es-took-a-crap
There are numinous discussions on other forums as well.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ollie8974
I direct your attention to this forum discussion at Pro touring.com
http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/6...es-took-a-crap
There are numinous discussions on other forums as well.
I read that thread and it clearly states two points;

1. Race fuel was used and left sitting in the lines. Race fuels have chemicals in them that pump gas does not. These chemicals are VERY corrosive to rubber. Also it is never advisable to leave fuel in fuel lines when a vehicle is stored for extended periods of time.

2. NEVER use cheap lines. As several people stated in the thread use MIL-SPEC hoses.

Much of the bad rap the rubber lined hoses get is from information being taken out of context. If people are having problems with rubber hose there are several questions to ask, 1. how old is the hose? 2. what type of fuel was being used? 3. was fuel left sitting in the line for an extended period? 4. what brand of hose was it.

1. all rubber breaks down over time even if it is not used, it can dry rot or if it's used some chemicals damage the hose. It is recommended that rubber fuel lines be replaced periodically. The length of time before replacement is needed differs for the quality of the rubber and the types of fuel used.
2. as stated above.
3. leaving fuel in the lines is never a good idea. the chemicals can rot the lines over time and the fuel can break down.
4. if you buy cheap hose you are much more likely to have problems.

Years ago the line lasted much longer because the quality was higher (no cheap Chinese junk) and the fuels had fewer chemicals add to them.

My knowledge on this is based on several facts. I have been involved in the performance world for a long time, personal experience, and I was a track side tech rep for several different companies that manufactured fuel line and fittings.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That fitting looks kinked and twisted.

The PTFE is the way to go. No fumes when sitting in the shop and will last forever.

Make sure you use the black lined PTFE not the white for conductivity issues with fuel running thru it.

Tim
Old 04-03-2014, 01:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gray86hatch
That fitting looks kinked and twisted.

The PTFE is the way to go. No fumes when sitting in the shop and will last forever.

Make sure you use the black lined PTFE not the white for conductivity issues with fuel running thru it.

Tim
That's good advice. When choosing the black make sure it is the carbon impregnated not just back color. The white can build up a static charge which can be a problem in a fuel system.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:40 PM
10 Second Club

static charge from the white PTFE liner? Looking online I don't see anything that specifies it as a "white" or "black" liner....
Old 04-03-2014, 02:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you are not looking on the manufacturers site it might be listed.

Look for carbon impregnated.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think your hose is fine, you may need to put a conical seal at that end .The face might not be flat from over tightening

http://www.summitracing.com/search/p...-conical-seals.
Old 04-03-2014, 06:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

I am betting the olive wasn't properly installed over the PTFE liner. The PTFE liner might of buckled when you tried to put the fitting into the nut. Seen it happen before many times. Strangely though, I've only seen myself try it. LOL
Old 04-03-2014, 07:10 PM
On The Tree

Yep after reading a few other multiple forums......they are just cheap junk fittings.....it does look bent in the pic but the tube actually isn't twisted....and its 2 fittings that leak. Ohhhh well...the rest of my system is PTFE and I have 5 extra feet of hose laying around so it's all good.....even though I didn't hand pick these directly....lesson learned...... buy good brand name stuff from the beginning and choose your own parts!!! Thanks for all the replies to the thread! I can't wait to get this car goin after 2 years..finally lol

Quick Reply: Braided hose 90 Degree problems???