General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

To much power steering pressure?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 10:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default To much power steering pressure?

I put on a new pump and rack after it all went bad. Everything seemed fine for about 3 weeks...no leaks. A week ago I checked the fluid and topped it off. Next thing you know that night it starts making noise and when I got home it had pushed fluid out the top. I have been leaking fluid ever since and now it appears the rack I just put on has again failed. It appears that fluid is coming out of the drives side boot. What gives? Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup
Old 04-02-2014, 10:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

you did bleed the air out of the system beforehand right??
Old 04-02-2014, 11:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Same thing that's happening with mine, except I'm about to replace the rack. Fluid leaking out of driver side boot and fluid being pushed out of the PS cap.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The reman stuff is junk. I have seen them fail out of the box for power steering pumps! Be sure to get the ac deco reman
Old 04-03-2014, 02:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

the turn one pump has less pressure FYI
Old 04-03-2014, 08:39 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by jlm_photo
I put on a new pump and rack after it all went bad.
You could also have a bad rack in addition to a bad pump. The boot doesn't hold back fluid, the internal seals do.

All pumps - even the TurnOne version - produce more pressure than the system needs/uses. There is a valve in the pump body to regulate that pressure. If its bad and stuck open, you could see an overpressure.

A week ago I checked the fluid and topped it off.
Did you over-fill it? When you changed the pump and rack, did you fill the parts back up with new fluid? (I have to ask.) If you have new fluid, the only thing that should cause an overflow is if the tank is too full or you have air coming in to the system somehow. (Like from a bad pump.)

Next thing you know that night it starts making noise and when I got home it had pushed fluid out the top.
Do you think its the pump or the rack making the noise? If its the pump, I wouldn't think it would be related to a check valve issue.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:32 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Majestic9C1
you did bleed the air out of the system beforehand right??
Yes I bled the system and it remained leak free for 2-3 weeks before I topped it off.

Originally Posted by wssix99
You could also have a bad rack in addition to a bad pump. The boot doesn't hold back fluid, the internal seals do.

Did you over-fill it? When you changed the pump and rack, did you fill the parts back up with new fluid? (I have to ask.)

Do you think its the pump or the rack making the noise?
I may have a bad r&p and pump. I bought both reman but you never know. I didn't over fill it. When I checked it was just below the stick and I only added fluid to the "cold" mark to ensure I didn't over fill. Yes I did fill the parts up with new fluid (its okay to ask I don't mind). The pump started making noise when it ran low because the fluid came out the top. Then when I filled it back up it did it again and again even though I never filled it to the "hot" mark. Then day before yesterday the flippin boot started pouring fluid. The boots are not connected on both ends like the original rack they are only attached on the inside end (hope that made sense).
Old 04-03-2014, 07:00 PM
12 Second Club

Remanned racks CAN BE bad right out of the box!

I've seen people install a remanned rack, fill it with expensive Red Line fluid, start the car to initiate the bleeding process, and have the two boots blow up like pregnant balloons with said fluid due to the dipshits at the reman facility not even putting in end seals!

ALL of that labor and fluid right down the drain!
Old 04-03-2014, 10:50 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

They could both be duds.

Quick Reply: To much power steering pressure?