Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Anybody have any tips for repairing SMC hood?

Old 04-03-2014, 10:40 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anybody have any tips for repairing SMC hood?

I bought my car about a month ago and its a 97 SS bt the hood was damaged in a small fender bender. The hood has a chip in one spot and a few cracks on it. One of the cracks is big enough that I think ill have to sand it down and add fiberglass back into it then smooth with filler. Anyway, I got the appropriate resin and filler for the job but was wondering if anybody has any tricks of the trade they could share on doing this repair. Thanks!
Old 04-04-2014, 12:50 PM
Launching!

in for info(in pretty much exact same boat)
Old 04-04-2014, 05:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

In general when you have any types of cracks, you need to grind down into them pretty deeply before using your repair products or they will resurface. If you have a crack through & through , especially at a fragile corner ready to break off, just go halfway through , repair & then do the other side later.
Always feather back the repair areas including little chips. Among the other obvious reasons, fiberglass materials continually shrink some, especially when freshly done. Feathering back properly lessens the difference of thickness between new & old product & lessens the potential amount of shadowing that can occur later.

Make sure your resins are fresh enough, some get old really fast & won't turn out a proper result & even haunt you later after you think you did ok.

The main portion of cracked areas or deep chips needs to be filled in with resin & mat or other suitable reinforced fillers if appropriate. final smoothing is just fine using regular premium type fillers.

If you can justify the cost, spraying or even rolling on a product such as evercoat g-2 can add a little surface strength to the final repair area & is a great non-shrinking primer surface (filler primer). Can cost well over $80 for a gallon & takes a 2.2 or larger sprayer tip or to spray.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:52 PM
12 Second Club

sounds good. thanks!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anybody have any tips for repairing SMC hood?