General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Delayed starting issue. Not VATS Related.

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 03:14 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Delayed starting issue. Not VATS Related.

I'm having an issue when starting my 02 Formula. Often when I turn the key, the dash lights all come on as usual but it won't crank. I have to hold the key turned for up to 30 secs before it cranks right up. There is no Security light, I have had that happen before and this isn't the vats. I changed the ignition relay and that didn't help. Could it be a bad starter solenoide?
Old 04-05-2014, 09:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 148 Likes on 134 Posts

Timing chain?
Old 04-09-2014, 09:46 AM
Launching!

I didn't think of that. I'm kind of a newb in some areas. How would that cause it to not start?

Just to clearify, this is what happens. I turn the key and nothing happens. The dash lights come on and then go off after a few seconds, normal. Then after holding the key all the way for up to 30 secs or so, it then cranks and starts as normal.

I changed the ignition relay and that didn't help.
Old 04-09-2014, 02:23 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My car does the same thing.
Old 04-09-2014, 02:36 PM
Launching!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Try the ignition switch module (located on the steering column way down near the firewall). There is a metal rod that goes from the key switch, down the column and into this ignition switch module, so maybe it got out of adjustment or isn't making good contact inside the ignition switch.
Here's a good write-up for it:
http://shbox.com/ignsw/ign_switch_repl.html

pretty inexpensive from rock auto if I remember right.
Old 04-10-2014, 01:45 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im having the same problem, the only difference is that I get a single click from under the hood. Personally if it clicks once change the starter, if not it's in the ignition switch, I had one go bad last year and it was just like that.
Old 04-10-2014, 07:46 AM
On The Tree

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Im having same issue with my car.I only drive car mostly on weekends I originally thought it was the battery.I replaced it but still have same issue.The first start is ok ,its only after sitting it doesn't ,all the lights come on but no start til 3rd crank.I guess whats weird is after that I can restart it without problem.My car is a 1999 mostly stock 86xxx miles.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:38 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah, my car does same thing. 02 z28 99k. Same deal with dash lights. Funny thing is I can't get key fob programmed to car. Took it to the dealership, they couldn't get done either. Strange. Don't know what to do. I have ppl tell me all kinds of things it is. So not sure what to do???
Old 04-12-2014, 07:57 AM
Launching!

Still haven't fixed the problem, but I ordered a starter. I'll give that a try as I'm pretty sure most everything in OE original on the car and I'm at 94k now. It always starts fine when it's cold from sitting all night or day. It's only when it's hot from driving that it acts up. I figure that maybe the solenoid acts up when it gets hot. I'll let you all know if this works.
Old 10-28-2014, 03:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Bumping this thread up, did you ever find out the problem to your delayed starting?

My car just started giving me a delayed start (3-4 seconds) I originally thought it was the stater solenoid and after I looked up the symptoms I found a video of where a guy demonstrates this problem and it fires up no problem after around 30 seconds of him holding down the key. In the description of his video he said he changed the starter solenoid and it fixed it right away, which is bending my thoughts on a wearing out solenoid for my car. My car is a DD and it doesn't bother me much except when I have passengers in my car and they look at me like I have a POS car that I drive everyday.
Old 06-20-2015, 10:34 PM
Teching In

Thread bump,
Anybody find a cure for this problem?
Delayed start.
Happen in the morning, worse when cold.
Turn key, nothing for 1-3 seconds then it starts right up.
We have tracked it down to no call for starter at relay or fuse(15 amp I believe).

I'm ready to change the BCM, I've read they can become very "Flakey" with intermittent problems.

Dash lights are all good, no security indication when the problem happens.
Old 06-30-2015, 12:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Another bump -- just recently started having a brief (1-2 second) intermittent delay starting.
Old 07-02-2015, 08:07 AM
Teching In

I had the same problem last year with my 02 SS with 100,000 miles. I took it to dealership after the garage I go to couldn't figure it out, neither could the dealership since it was so intermident. I switched to the spare keys that came with it I never had used before, and I have not had the problem since! So I don't know if the chip in the other key had something to do with my situation or not.. so far so good here since I switched keys.
Old 07-03-2015, 06:44 PM
Launching!

Just checking in. I replaced my starter. I don't know if that was it, but the old one certainly had play in the solenoid shaft. I've been having an idle issue and just finished suspension work. So I haven't driven it much over the last month or so, but it hasn't happened since I made this thread.
Old 07-05-2015, 10:03 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Mongoose350
Just checking in. I replaced my starter. I don't know if that was it, but the old one certainly had play in the solenoid shaft. I've been having an idle issue and just finished suspension work. So I haven't driven it much over the last month or so, but it hasn't happened since I made this thread.
Good deal, glad to hear its working fine now.
Old 05-02-2017, 06:25 AM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My 01 SS I just bought is doing the same thing. First start after sitting is delayed by a few seconds. If I cycle the switch it starts right up. It only has 50k miles so I doubt the starter is worn and that really doesn't make sense. If I drive it around it works fine, then over night back to the same issue.
Old 06-03-2017, 07:58 PM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default humble pie

Well I may have to eat my words. After more research several people said the starter caused the same issue so I replaced mine with a new ac delco today. I will let you know after it sits if it fixed the problem. Replacing the starter was a pretty easy job.
Old 06-04-2017, 10:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Mine had the same problem. I completely cleaned the battery terminals, didn't fix it. The battery checked out as slightly weak on a Harbor Freight tester, but it would still start normally (after the delay). So I got a top terminal #86 battery, and basically chopped off the last few inches of both cables and hooked them back up with heavy duty screw clamp connectors and top terminals. Also started using a battery maintainer at the same time. Now the problem is gone. My guess is there's some connection in the key switch/relay that doesn't work real well unless the battery voltage is high enough and there's no extra resistance in the circuit from the battery.

EDIT: just to update after more than a year, this did NOT fix the problem. I'm guessing bad ignition switch.

Last edited by patSS/00; 09-14-2018 at 02:10 PM.

Quick Reply: Delayed starting issue. Not VATS Related.