Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to install air/fuel wideband O2 sensor

Old 04-05-2014, 03:22 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Where to install air/fuel wideband O2 sensor

I am installing a wideband air/fuel gauge and I'm not sure where to put the O2 sensor. I have long tube headers that go into a Y pipe, then runs back. My question is should I put it behind one of the headers and if so which one. Im just wondering where other people put theirs. Thanks
Old 04-05-2014, 04:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Mine is on the passenger side header after the o2 sensor.
Old 04-05-2014, 08:40 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

As close as possible to the header collector and on the driver side.

Anywhere from 9 o'clock to 3 o'clock positions.
Old 04-05-2014, 08:59 AM
TECH Resident

When I first put mine in I had it right behind collector on passenger side and it didn't read right it always ran crazy rich readings and the wideband would just blank out. Wot reding we're correct but that's it. I moved to driver side behind collector and now it reads much more accurately or so it seems atleast . Wot is right on as well
Old 04-05-2014, 09:00 AM
TECH Resident

And yes make sure it's from 9-3 position so water doesn't get on the sensor keep it up as high as possible
Old 04-06-2014, 01:02 PM
On The Tree

Thanks guys, it was installed on the driver side not far behind the stock sensor on the inner side of the header at about 3 o'clock I will finish the install soon and I will post how it is reading.
Old 04-06-2014, 01:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I installed my sensor in the merge of the Y pipe, so it reads both sides of the motor. Any time you get the car tuned on a dyno they stick their wide band in the tail pipe... Reading both sides of the engine.

https://camaroversion20.shutterfly.com/421
Old 04-06-2014, 02:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by conan
I installed my sensor in the merge of the Y pipe, so it reads both sides of the motor. Any time you get the car tuned on a dyno they stick their wide band in the tail pipe... Reading both sides of the engine.

https://camaroversion20.shutterfly.com/421
I have often wondered this.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:57 PM
TECH Resident

They stick it there because it's an easy access spot. How else are they going to hook it up unless you have a bung they can tap into lol
Old 04-06-2014, 06:57 PM
TECH Resident

Has nothing to do with a y pipe setup or reading both sides
Old 04-06-2014, 08:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Placed mine in the O2 sensor bung on the driver side header. OLSD tune though.
Old 04-06-2014, 09:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mikh338
They stick it there because it's an easy access spot. How else are they going to hook it up unless you have a bung they can tap into lol
I understand they put the wide band in the tail pipe because its the easiest place to access. So with that clear again, the tune in your car was based on that reading (after the merge) . Placing the wide band on one side or the other will not yield the same reading. Unless you are going to put one on each header collector, or have the tuner use your wide band location your going to be getting a different reading than the one the car was tuned too in the tail pipe.

Originally Posted by mikh338
Has nothing to do with a y pipe setup or reading both sides
What has nothing to do with a y pipe setup or reading both sides ?

Last edited by conan; 04-06-2014 at 10:51 PM.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Unless u want to install 2 sensors, one for each side. Whats the point in monitoring just one side??? As for tuning u need to look at both sides separately, as for just a general eyeball on the motor, mine will be where the y merges.
Why would someone pick the left or right side? One over the other. Please explain your decision making process. Thanks
Old 04-07-2014, 12:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I think it's because you want it closer to the headers than where you're going to be putting it, but don't hold me to that.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:19 PM
12 Second Club

Cant individually tune each bank, so seeing both banks on the wideband doesn't make much difference.

You effectively tune "the engine", and in closed loop a correction is applied per bank, you don't have control over the correction, only of the base tables they are "correcting". ie. only one VE table and only one MAF table. Any variation bank to bank is handled by trims.

Picking one side over the other shouldn't make a difference. Both banks ideally would be seeing the same airflow etc, so they ideally should require the same fuel. It wont be 100% though, hence the trims. Using one bank as a reference is fine.
Old 01-23-2016, 12:08 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by spy2520
Cant individually tune each bank, so seeing both banks on the wideband doesn't make much difference.

You effectively tune "the engine", and in closed loop a correction is applied per bank, you don't have control over the correction, only of the base tables they are "correcting". ie. only one VE table and only one MAF table. Any variation bank to bank is handled by trims.

Picking one side over the other shouldn't make a difference. Both banks ideally would be seeing the same airflow etc, so they ideally should require the same fuel. It wont be 100% though, hence the trims. Using one bank as a reference is fine.

So what your saying here is putting wide band bung on each header is useless? Could you tune driver side where it looks good then swap to the passenger side to see what its showing and make adjustments that way and meet a median between both? Im new at this so just asking.
Old 01-23-2016, 04:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

So what your saying here is putting wide band bung on each header is useless?
It's useless in the sense of actual tuning, but it's not useless in the sense of monitoring your car.

Say for example you have a clogged injector on the passenger side. When you go WOT, all the WB is reading is the driver side values which will look good...and you will never see the huge lean issue that is happening on the other side and you end up with a busted engine.

Not saying that you absolutely need dual widebands, but they are not useless to have on both for safety reasons.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Where to install air/fuel wideband O2 sensor