General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Car won't start, please help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 06:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car won't start, please help!

I've been trying to do a search on my issue, but I don't seem to have the same luck with a solution. Took the car to get tuned yesterday, drove around and it was great but my security light was on, its been on for a while with no issue. Got home went inside for a few hours, came out and the car won't start only a click from the fuse box. I thought it was the VATS, called my tuner to turn off the VATS with HPTuners. I also read that you still need to do the resistor mod, went out and matched the key. With the resistors the light is off. Took the resistors off and the light goes off.
So i turn the key, all lights and radio come one, everything goes out including the security light. Turn to start and nothing happens except for the relay click. We tried to push start the car and it starts right up, drove around perfect! I came back turned it off and nothing. Checked volts at the starter, its good. Doesn't get anything when the key is turned to start though. Jumped the starter and it start right up and runs fine.
I'm thinking its not the VATS but something else. Any ideas???
Old 04-06-2014, 08:24 PM
10 Second Club

What kind of car are we talking? Sounds like something in your starter circuit like the clutch safety switch, or park/neutral interlock.

Here is GM's description of how VATS works
The personal automotive security system (PASS-Key®) is standard equipment on the vehicle. The system is designed to prevent vehicle theft by disabling the engine unless an ignition key with a specific electrical resistance is used in the ignition cylinder.

There are 15 different ignition key resistance values. Of the 15 different resistance values, or key codes available, only 1 will work with each body control module (BCM). Once the key code is programmed into the BCM, the code is stored in non-volatile memory.

The PASS-Key® system prevents the engine from starting by controlling the starter relay and the powertrain control module (PCM) fuel enable input. If the PCM does not sense the proper fuel enable signal, fuel will not be provided to the engine.

If the wrong resistance value is sensed when the ignition switch is in the ON position, the BCM will not ground the starter relay control circuit and will not provide the fuel enable signal for approximately 3 minutes. The engine is prevented from starting and discourages a thief from trying key codes or resistance values at random.

If the correct resistance value is sensed when the ignition switch is in the ON position, the BCM will ground the starter relay control circuit and will send a fuel enable signal to the PCM. The engine will start normally.

If the PASS-Key® system detects an open or short to ground when the ignition switch is in the ON position, the BCM will default to fail enable mode. Fail enable occurs when the proper key resistance is sensed before the open or short to ground occurs. Fail enable will illuminate the security indicator lamp and allow the operator to start the vehicle until the problem is corrected. There is no VTD protection in fail enable mode. The PASS-Key® system includes the following components:

•Ignition key
•Ignition cylinder
•Body control module (BCM)
•Starter relay
•Powertrain control module (PCM)
•SECURITY indicator
Old 04-06-2014, 08:35 PM
Teching In

I'm sorry, I should have included my info in the post. It's a 99 ws6 m6. From what I've read, I thought it was the VATS. But if it was, there car wouldn't start at all right?? I unplug the connector where the resistor goes and it flashes, I plug it back in and it goes away. I assume that the key is still good.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:51 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by eman87
I'm sorry, I should have included my info in the post. It's a 99 ws6 m6. From what I've read, I thought it was the VATS. But if it was, there car wouldn't start at all right?? I unplug the connector where the resistor goes and it flashes, I plug it back in and it goes away. I assume that the key is still good.
You're correct, it disables fuel as well as the starter, so if it was VATS it shouldn't start at all. Usually what fails with VATS is the wires get separated from the lock cylinder case. If you put the correct resistance in the circuit by measuring your key, let it sit for 30 minutes until you try it, then just leave that in there and figure out why the starter doesn't crank. Bypass the relay (termials 87 and 30) with the key on and see if it starts, if it does figure out if the relay isn't getting a power signal or ground. If it doesn't start check the fuses and circuit to the starter. Swap relays. It does however sound like you've been having the beginnings of VATS issues, so you may just want to leave it bypassed regardless, or get the cylinder case replaced.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:56 PM
Staging Lane

Hey man, I would check out your ignition relay or possibly the fuse box. My 98 Z car was doing the same thing and my ignition relay was bad. I would swap a relay with it and see what happens.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:30 AM
Teching In

I'm gonna start with the relays. Unfortunately I can't do anything until the weekend. I will, keep everyone posted. It's just frustrated that I got the car tuned and it was running great, then this happened.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:49 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Could be a bad starter I'm the mean time switch your fan relay with the ignition relay and see if it starts
Old 04-07-2014, 07:40 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by chrysler kid
Could be a bad starter I'm the mean time switch your fan relay with the ignition relay and see if it starts
We jumped the starter though, started right up. Wouldn't that mean that the starter is good? I also tried switching the starter relay. I didn't try the ignition though.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:03 AM
Teching In

So you took out the resistor for the VATS bypass??

I was having the same problem, replaced starter, battery, checked fuel pressure, got a new key, cleaned ign lock cyl. Nothing worked until I did the resistor bypass now it starts first crank every time.

VATS failure can be intermittent, trust me. What does the red security light on the dash do??
Old 04-08-2014, 02:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Security light flashing or on when you try to crank the car?

If no, it is most likely your clutch safety switch on your clutch pedal. Try removing your floor mat and pressing the pedal as far as it will go, then crank the car.

You can also try bypassing the switch if the previous doesn't work

You already checked the starter relay and it is fine. You jumped the starter and it is fine, so most likely you have an issue with VATS or the clutch safety switch.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:59 PM
Teching In

The light comes on and then turns off after about 2 to 3 seconds, I assume thats the normal procedure. When I unplug the VATS wire where the bypass goes it flashes. When i plug it back in or use the resistor, it goes away.
Where exactly is the safety switch? You say under the floor mat? I've only messed with the one above the actual pedal.

Last edited by eman87; 04-09-2014 at 11:20 AM.

Quick Reply: Car won't start, please help!