General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Headlights on when switch is off

Old 04-08-2014, 10:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlights on when switch is off

Hey guys I've got an 01 Z28 that the headlights seem to be playing games with my head...I'll start the car and the lights are off most times, sometimes however they're on with the switch flipped off. I can turn the switch on and they'll stay on, but won't turn off unless the switch is flipped and key removed. I'm wondering if a previous owner messed with the wiring or something...The weird thing is the lights aren't on 100% of the time, it's hit or miss with the switch off. Any ideas?
Old 04-09-2014, 03:38 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Sounds like the car has automatic headlights.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:08 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by _JB_
Sounds like the car has automatic headlights.
I thought that too, but it doesn't seem to have correlation with whether it's dark or light out.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:55 AM
Teching In

After looking into the auto head lights I think your are right. I wasn't aware that my car had them, granted I've only had it for a few months...Still learning things about it!

Thanks!
Old 04-09-2014, 02:48 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

All 98-02 Camaros and Canadian Firebirds have automatic headlights. US Firebirds have them bypassed from the factory. If the parking brake is set when the car is started they won't come on until the parking brake is released otherwise they come on right away (assuming it's dark enough).
Old 04-09-2014, 04:37 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
All 98-02 Camaros and Canadian Firebirds have automatic headlights. US Firebirds have them bypassed from the factory. If the parking brake is set when the car is started they won't come on until the parking brake is released otherwise they come on right away (assuming it's dark enough).
Do you know where the light sensor is?
Old 04-09-2014, 04:48 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Yes, it is mounted to the underside of the dash panel to the right of the defroster vent (next to the red alarm LED if you have the factory alarm).
Old 04-12-2014, 06:22 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Yes, it is mounted to the underside of the dash panel to the right of the defroster vent (next to the red alarm LED if you have the factory alarm).
wasnt their a way to stick a resister in the socket the prevent lights form coming on automatic???
Old 04-12-2014, 07:22 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

No resistor is necessary. Automatic headlights are disabled from the factory on Firebirds by replacing the sensor with a simple piece of wire. The system is designed so that the resistance from the sensor decreases with more light. A piece of wire with zero resistance makes the system think it's daylight all the time so the lights never go on automatically.

The simplest way to disable automatic headlights is to crimp a ScotchLock connector across the two sensor wires, shorting them together. If you ever want to go back to automatic, simply remove the connector.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Headlights on when switch is off