Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Eboost 2 boost by gear help

Old 04-09-2014, 08:55 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eboost 2 boost by gear help

Was wanting to run boost by gear on the 6 speed its a street car, was wondering if someone could show me how they setup their microswitches or however else you achieved running boost by gear with the eboost 2. Just trying to get a idea of what needs to be done, thanks.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:38 AM
Launching!

nobody has anything?
Old 04-10-2014, 12:02 PM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

You would need to install physical switches local to the gearstick to make it happen, and of course there are only 4 boost levels available.

Really...I do think it is a stretch for them to claim they offer boost by gear.....they almost do after you do a ton of work.

It's a great controller apart from that one claim though
Old 04-10-2014, 12:25 PM
8 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't see why you couldn't hook it up to the clutch pedal switch so every time you hit the clutch it goes up one boost group. You would just have to push the clutch in far enough to hit the switch. Just would have to have a reset button to reset your BG back to 1 before you're ready to make a pull.
Old 04-10-2014, 12:28 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Slow94Formula
I don't see why you couldn't hook it up to the clutch pedal switch so every time you hit the clutch it goes up one boost group. You would just have to push the clutch in far enough to hit the switch. Just would have to have a reset button to reset your BG back to 1 before you're ready to make a pull.

That mode would apply to drag use only. It is completely useless for anything else, and would probably just create more problems for a car that actually gets driven.
Old 04-10-2014, 03:53 PM
Launching!

yup that clutch thing wont work its a street car not for the track use,
yea i agree that claim is misleading dont figure that out until you open the box up. yes i just need it for 1,2,3 and 4th gear running full boost 4-6th gear.
Would you happen to have any pics of how that would be done Stevieturbo?
Old 04-10-2014, 04:27 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by lt4388stroker
yup that clutch thing wont work its a street car not for the track use,
yea i agree that claim is misleading dont figure that out until you open the box up. yes i just need it for 1,2,3 and 4th gear running full boost 4-6th gear.
Would you happen to have any pics of how that would be done Stevieturbo?
Afraid not.

You'd need to weld something onto the stick itself that would make contact with microswitches in the relevant gear positions.

As said, it can be done but it would be messy, and if wishing to retain interior trim, I suspect very difficult.

You might be able to hook something up using the front shift location cover on the box, although it would require the transmission to come out to do it. And still dont imagine it being easy.

On the other hand....if you knew someone reasonably capable with electronics, it shouldnt be difficult to build a circuit or device to do it electronically.

Some of those raspberry or arduino things.

Using RPM, and driveshaft output speed, you tell it the ratios and it would be able to calculate what gear you're in, and trigger relays, transistors or something to provide the ground triggers etc the EBoost wants to be told for each gear.
Old 04-11-2014, 02:39 AM
Teching In

I tried this recently on a tr6060 and there is not the room.

I managed to get tiny microswitches from ebay but even then there is not enough movment in the gearshift to mount them without touching another.

I tried and tried welded tabs etc and still was not happy with the result so changed to steering wheel up and down buttons.

Intresting idea Stevie that circuit would be a major seller you just need to put it together :-)

you will have your first customer here lol

Neal
Old 04-11-2014, 08:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Afraid not.

You'd need to weld something onto the stick itself that would make contact with microswitches in the relevant gear positions.

As said, it can be done but it would be messy, and if wishing to retain interior trim, I suspect very difficult.

You might be able to hook something up using the front shift location cover on the box, although it would require the transmission to come out to do it. And still dont imagine it being easy.

On the other hand....if you knew someone reasonably capable with electronics, it shouldnt be difficult to build a circuit or device to do it electronically.

Some of those raspberry or arduino things.

Using RPM, and driveshaft output speed, you tell it the ratios and it would be able to calculate what gear you're in, and trigger relays, transistors or something to provide the ground triggers etc the EBoost wants to be told for each gear.
So, you would you just be able to pig-tail off the VSS sensor? That is driveshaft speed.
Old 04-11-2014, 11:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just a heads up, i tried the micro switch route when i had a eboost2 and a 6speed car. i could never get it to work right so i switched the eboost out for a apexi avcr. the avcr will do a true boost by gear based on vss vs rpm.

im sure most of you guys have never heard of the avcr as its from the import world

hope that helps alittle
Old 04-11-2014, 11:26 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's the setup I ran off of the external shift linkage on my C6Z. I think something that functioned the same could be built for an f-body, either on the shifter itself or on the internal shift rail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtRb...ature=youtu.be

1st gear- no input, base spring pressure

2nd gear- 2nd stage of boost enabled by grounding green wire

3rd gear- 3rd stage of boost enabled by grounding orange wire

4th gear- 4th stage of boost enabled by grounding orange/green wire simultaneously

5th gear- setup to maintain 4th stage of boost by triggering dual relays which ground orange/green wire simultaneously.

This picture was the first one I made. The one that ended up staying in the car was nicer but I can't find a pic of it.

Old 04-11-2014, 11:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You just gave me new ideas.....you are the man Jim!
Old 04-11-2014, 11:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

I was planning to use front wheel speed, vss, and rpm to figure it all out.

basically I was wanting to knock it down a boost level if wheel spin as well.
Old 04-11-2014, 01:48 PM
9 Second Club

You cannot use VSS only, as that gives no indication of gear used.

It would have to be calculated from RPM and VSS. And yes the VSS signal at the tailshaft would be a suitable signal location.
Although you may need a little box to convert that signal from a VR sine wave type to a digital signal.

I guess one way you could maybe bluff a boost ramping feature is to use boost vs rpm. Except instead of an rpm signal, use the VSS signal.
That would/should give a boost vs speed setup

Apexi AVCR is one option, but pretty sure it's a discontinued model. It was a PITA anyway, but yes it did do the job and could do boost by gear or boost vs speed as required with no ******* about with stupid microswitches.

I seen AMS mention they can now interface their controllers with the OBD port for data. So they should have access to all the info to calculate gear selected.
Although last time I mentioned a proper gear based controller, they said they had never had any enquiries about one.
I do find that rather hard to believe.

Another that I believe can do it with no ******* about is this http://plex-tuning.com/products/pbc-...ost-controller

But I have never used it. On paper it looks good though.

Other than the AVCR and Plex units, it does seem nothing other than using ecu control offers a true and proper boost vs gear setup with minimal hassle. Which does seem ridiculous really given the technology age we live in and how easy it would be.
Old 04-11-2014, 08:27 PM
Launching!

I found this but I already bought the eboost2, doesnt tell you many features besides the gear in each gear
http://www.leashelectronics.com/Boos...gears-BLGB.htm
Old 04-12-2014, 03:39 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by lt4388stroker
I found this but I already bought the eboost2, doesnt tell you many features besides the gear in each gear
http://www.leashelectronics.com/Boos...gears-BLGB.htm
Except as with other units it is not true boost by gear.

It simply counts gears upwards from standstill assuming every time you press the clutch, the next higher gear is selected.

Again fine for drag use only, completely useless for the street.

So to call it boost by gear is pretty much false as it does not know what gear you're in at all times.

EBoost can do exactly the same thing with it's sequential settings, or better with the stupid switches which is almost boost by gear, even if very difficult to achieve.
Old 01-26-2015, 12:32 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any updates?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Eboost 2 boost by gear help