LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Anyone interested in not having to remove the water pump in order to change the opti

Old 04-10-2014, 08:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone interested in not having to remove the water pump in order to change the opti

This concept spaces the lt1 water pump off the block just enough to allow the optispark to be removed without having to actually remove the water pump. This obviously saves a LOT of hassle AND in spacing it away from the opti, allows a little more airspace around the unit, allowing it to potentially run cooler, and keeps the weep hole from weeping all over the opti in the event of a failure. Possibly the biggest advantage of this is the confidence to run your run of the mill parts store opti with a lifetime warranty and never have to pay for another again, without the hassle of draining the coolant system if/when it goes bad. Because of the nature of this mod, electric water pump users are probably not going to be able to run the spacers without some extensive trimming of the radiator fan shroud (I highly doubt a mezierre will fit, a CSR or jets unit MIGHT).

Basically this kit would include two CNC aluminum 1.25" spacers, extended bolts, two sets of water pump gaskets, and either a new or extended water pump drive coupling. Still working on gathering materials for production pricing, (and possibly a vendor to supply internally splined couplings so i don't have to weld an extension to the OEM coupling.... aka more money) so that is still an unknown at the moment but I'm looking at around $150 shipped (this is an ESTIMATE, not a final price!)

This being said, give me your thoughts and opinions on the concept and if you think this is a product you would be interested in.

Here are a few quick (and dirty) videos showing the installed water pump and the removal and installation of the opti to show that it works, and a pic of these beautiful spacers....

look here http://ltxtech.com/forums/showthread...hange-the-opti

posted for a friend

Last edited by Tinbender59; 04-10-2014 at 08:23 PM.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:40 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Removing the water pump is not a big deal, this whole opti/WP issue is blown out of proportion. Good Luck with the idea though.

Last edited by guppymech; 04-10-2014 at 08:45 PM.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Cool! Too bad I have an electric wp.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:59 PM
Teching In

I don't think pulling the water pump is that big a deal, and I would not like the idea of adding 2 more potential leak points into the cooling system.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:09 PM
11 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

That's not a bad idea I like it.. But I think it's a little over priced..
Old 04-11-2014, 07:06 AM
10 Second Club

Does it space it out far enough so if the WP leaks it will not drip on the opti?
Old 04-11-2014, 10:11 AM
11 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mystery Bird
Does it space it out far enough so if the WP leaks it will not drip on the opti?
That's what he said in the description..
Old 04-11-2014, 10:59 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by NewOrleansLT1
That's what he said in the description..
I was in a hurry when I read it, sorry. Just shoot me now.
Old 04-11-2014, 11:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mystery Bird
I was in a hurry when I read it, sorry. Just shoot me now.
I'm loading my gun......But I would think if you are driving or the fans are on, coolant is going to blow all over the opti etc anyways. I do like the idea though but will probably venture into a remote mount waterpump instead. Good for lots of guys out there though!
Old 04-11-2014, 12:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NewOrleansLT1
That's not a bad idea I like it.. But I think it's a little over priced..
Old 04-11-2014, 01:02 PM
Staging Lane

Wow, so much negativity from my LT1 brothers. Its nice hearing about a new item for the LT. I like the idea, it will make cap and rotor changes far more common, and will allow for on the road opti replacement.
Old 04-11-2014, 02:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by jessebuickguy
Wow, so much negativity from my LT1 brothers. Its nice hearing about a new item for the LT. I like the idea, it will make cap and rotor changes far more common, and will allow for on the road opti replacement.
Not seeing how you are going to get to the cap and rotor screws, even with a little more space. Certainly not with the common screwdriver like torx tool.
Old 04-11-2014, 02:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

I screwed a Zerk fitting into weep hole. I used a small drill bit in the center first then screwed it in then ran a hose from the Zerk to just above the bottom of oil pan.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:55 PM
Teching In

Thanks for posting this here Lloyd. I agree with you guys on the price. I was hoping to get it in the $100-$125 range. The $150 price is based off of the machinist doing one set at a time. He told me that if he does 10 sets I will see a price break. How much I don't know, but it will be passed on to the customer. I also agree that removing the water pump isn't a huge deal but I also hear the opposite from a lot of people that change their opti out, only to find they got a bad one right out of the box or it only lasts a few weeks. Then they have to turn right around and do the job again. With these spacers of f-bodies, I know a mezierre ewp will not clear, but I am looking into others to see if some trimming of the shroud will make it fit. I'm told that on B-bodies there is plenty of room. For ewp users that don't need the drive coupling, they would only be $125 shipped. Again, depending on how many orders I get this may be less. I am also going to order a few sets with holes drilled to be tapped 1" npt for an fittings for remote systems.That pricing would probably be the same. This is definitely a convenience item so I know the price may be hard to justify for some, but for others that have had bad luck in the past with optis will appreciate the fact it will only take 10 minutes to swap it out without a drop of coolant being spilled. Keep the comments comming. Positive and negative. I need to figure out how much $$$ i want to put up for this. Thanks.

Last edited by firebird_1995; 04-13-2014 at 03:49 PM.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:57 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by shbox
Not seeing how you are going to get to the cap and rotor screws, even with a little more space. Certainly not with the common screwdriver like torx tool.
You would pull the whole unit and change the cap and rotor on the bench and reinstall.
Old 04-11-2014, 08:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by firebird_1995
You would pull the whole unit and change the cap and rotor on the bench and reinstall.
I mentioned this in a thread at CamaroZ28.com: how hard it is to see what you are doing to line up the opti correctly? Your line of sight is compromised by the water pump. You can't just throw it up there and slap it on like the video shows and expect it to be lined up correctly.

Using some sort of remote electric pump with pipes plumbed out of something like those blocks would seem more beneficial and completely free access to the opti. Of course, that is probably just more complication.
Old 04-11-2014, 08:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

I will be recieving the first set, so that I can get the Magna-TronX distributor proven out, It may have to come off a coule of times??? Of corse if this works, Ill have to decide which distributor to run but I suspect that decission has been made for me already?? I gotta have a working demo
Old 04-12-2014, 12:33 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by shbox
I mentioned this in a thread at CamaroZ28.com: how hard it is to see what you are doing to line up the opti correctly? Your line of sight is compromised by the water pump. You can't just throw it up there and slap it on like the video shows and expect it to be lined up correctly.

Using some sort of remote electric pump with pipes plumbed out of something like those blocks would seem more beneficial and completely free access to the opti. Of course, that is probably just more complication.
I understand what you are saying. In the video I made, I was just showing that the opti could physically be removed and installed with the water pump attached. I only had one hand available to maneuver the opti around while videoing. After the opti has cleared the hub and is in place, you have about a half inch to slip your fingers in to the section that engages the cam dowel pin. I have always marked the position of the pin on the cover, then marked the correct slot the pin engages on the opti drive hub. Sometimes it takes a few trys but you know when you get it right. I will make a better video showing all the steps involved when I get the water pump extention made so everyone can see exactly what's involved.
Old 04-12-2014, 08:06 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by firebird_1995
I understand what you are saying. In the video I made, I was just showing that the opti could physically be removed and installed with the water pump attached. ...
I assumed as much and that it wasn't supposed to be an all inclusive video. Just trying to point out things as they come to me - not trying to be a naysayer. I applaud your efforts to create something beneficial to the LT1 community.
Old 04-12-2014, 08:55 AM
Launching!

Neat idea. I had a TNT LT1 plate kit a number of years back and to get the plate to fit with my 58mm BBK TB I had to grind a lot out of the thermostat and IAC housing. I then bought one of the first LT1 plates from Nitrous Outlet, awesome plate but had the same issue. I believe they then made the plates thinner later on. With the spacers it moves the housing forward giving more space.

Last edited by 96blkform; 04-12-2014 at 09:00 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone interested in not having to remove the water pump in order to change the opti