Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

TVS Experts - I need some quick help please

Old 04-11-2014, 11:55 AM
rao
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default TVS Experts - I need some quick help please

I removed my TVS1900 (GTO kit) to do some spring maintenance - the plan is to replace the supercharger oil check out the jack shaft bearings. With my setup (it is in a BMW) I can't access the oil plug unless the supercharger is out of the car. When I pulled the front cover I found that the rotors seem to have some wear that was not present the last time I was in the neighborhood which was about 20k miles ago.

The coating has been rubbed off of the front of the driver's side rotor and on the twists of the passenger's side rotor.

Here is a picture of the before:

and of the after:

I now it is a lot of pictures but I figured more would be better and it is sort of hard to photograph the inside of the blower.

I don't know if this is totally normal or if it is the sign of trouble - it certainly seems like trouble to me. There are no signs of decreased performance. The blower has about 80k miles on it, has never had meth injection and is being spun with an overdrive rear pulley and a 3.0" front pulley. It doesn't make any unusual noises although it does make a whistle at idle, which may have been there all along or it may have been creeping up on me, I really can't say for sure.

I called Magnuson but couldn't get a hold of anyone.

I would appreciate anyone's input on this either post here send me a PM or e-mail using the e-mail button.

Thanks!

Last edited by rao; 04-11-2014 at 12:03 PM.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:03 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks fine to me for the mileage, that coating does not last forever. Put it back together with new oil and run it.
Old 04-11-2014, 01:53 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Rob -

Sorry you had trouble getting a hold of someone here. If you ever run into that problem again send me an email at sales@magnusonproducts.com

It's hard to tell without seeing it first hand, but it looks like one of your rotors might be a hair out of spec, causing it to rub a little. If you're not hearing a noise, like a grinding, rattling, or clunking it's probably ok. If you want to be 100% sure, we have a rebuild shop and they do an inspection for $125. If it needs rebuilding, we'd typically replace the rotors along with the bearings but we'd send you an estimate first - typically in the $1,500 to $2,200 range to do a complete rebuild.

My official recommendation is to send it in and have us inspect and test it. My unofficial one, if we were hanging out in your garage having a beer, would be to put new supercharger oil in it (call and ask for tech and they'll tell you the right amount - it's really important that it be refilled to the exact spec - and you can order the spec oil directly from us or one of our dealers) and button it up. If you ever hear an unusual noise, send it in immediately for inspection.

Hope that helps!

-Matt@Magnuson

Originally Posted by rao
I removed my TVS1900 (GTO kit) to do some spring maintenance - the plan is to replace the supercharger oil check out the jack shaft bearings. With my setup (it is in a BMW) I can't access the oil plug unless the supercharger is out of the car. When I pulled the front cover I found that the rotors seem to have some wear that was not present the last time I was in the neighborhood which was about 20k miles ago.

The coating has been rubbed off of the front of the driver's side rotor and on the twists of the passenger's side rotor.

Here is a picture of the before:

and of the after:

I now it is a lot of pictures but I figured more would be better and it is sort of hard to photograph the inside of the blower.

I don't know if this is totally normal or if it is the sign of trouble - it certainly seems like trouble to me. There are no signs of decreased performance. The blower has about 80k miles on it, has never had meth injection and is being spun with an overdrive rear pulley and a 3.0" front pulley. It doesn't make any unusual noises although it does make a whistle at idle, which may have been there all along or it may have been creeping up on me, I really can't say for sure.

I called Magnuson but couldn't get a hold of anyone.

I would appreciate anyone's input on this either post here send me a PM or e-mail using the e-mail button.

Thanks!
Old 04-11-2014, 04:57 PM
rao
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks to all who responded. The supercharger is back in the car and is working fine, just like it was

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: TVS Experts - I need some quick help please