LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Optispark questions???

Old 04-12-2014, 06:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Optispark questions???

Can an optispark fire at the spark plugs even if it's a bad one?
Meaning buying a cheap $80 one can it keep the car from starting even if it's still sparking.
I have fuel, I have spark, I just could really use someone's advice who knows what they are talking about

thanks
Old 04-12-2014, 06:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

install the opti wrong? you have spark at the plugs?
Old 04-12-2014, 07:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You can install it wrong and have it fire at the plugs at the wrong time or you can have one that is cross firing and firing at the wrong plugs. If it is a total pos, I suppose it can be firing at the wrong plugs at the wrong time but that is only if the insulation is bad and it is tracking inside the cap. Hard to tell from the info you have provided. Check the installation first, especially if it is 94 or earlier - easy to make a mistake there...
Old 04-14-2014, 06:16 PM

Thanks for replying guys I'm going to take it apart in the next day or two I think I might of put it in the wrong hole where the camshaft dowel goes? Is that possible?
Old 04-14-2014, 10:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah its possible. Its Harder to mess up with the 95-97 vented opti though. If you forced it on or didnt pay attention, then yeah anything is possible.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts

if the coil is supplying spark then its gonna go to the plugs. if u know you have spark, and fuel but its not catching and starting most likely its the timing where its not firing at the correct time. id take it off and make sure it is on the correct way. take the cover off and then out it on. i couldnt get mine on. i took the cover off and wiggled it while making sure the pointer didnt move. make sure ur wires are in the correct order. and u can leave ur water pump off and see if it will start. saves alot of hassle if you need to redue it. if it stilll doesnt work then try a delco/delphi opti. rock auto has the best prices.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Optispark questions???