Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

My NXT pics, Cayenne Red Metallic (dial-up warning!)

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2004, 02:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My NXT pics, Cayenne Red Metallic (dial-up warning!)

Here's the process that I started yesterday, then finished by adding a 2nd coat this morning. Critiques are welcome:
  1. Remove the body side moldings, remove the side Z28 badges, heat gun to remove the bulk of the adhesive and Goo Gone to remove the traces.
  2. Wash with blue Dawn.
  3. Bug and tar removal from the entire car (it was bad).
  4. Quick wash with Dawn.
  5. Used the Mother's clay bar and their Showtime spray detailer, realized that the Goo Gone must have taken some adhesive with it as it ran down the car.
  6. Removed traces of adhesive from EVERY place under where the side moldings had been, then clayed the same areas.
  7. Final wash with Dawn.
  8. Applied Meguiar's ColorX by hand with a foam applicator, then drove to a local car show.
  9. Applied one heavy coat of NXT Tech Wax with cotton applicator and pendragonz's help.
  10. This morning I applied a second heavy coat, I will begin the layering of light coats next.

There is some pollen that has accumulated, and it's visible in the pictures. Sorry about that, I didn't have anything handy to dust it with before taking the pictures. Please click here for all of the pics I took today (high res available too).

Overall, I am very pleased with the NXT Tech Wax and with removing the side moldings and side Z28 badges. The NXT is VERY easy to apply, and you can do the entire car quickly. I usually don't have a lot of spare time so this was a big selling point for me. One piece of advice though, ditch the foam applicator that comes with it and get some of the soft terry ones! They apply the product much more quickly and evenly (thinks for the tip, pendragonz!). The results were very dramatic from just the NXT alone, and drew a good crowd at a local car show.

Before (on borrowed skinnies and wheels w/drag radials):

After:

My wife's car in the reflection:

Sorry about the pollen on these two, I should have dusted it first. You get the idea though:

Objects in mirror are closer than they appear:

Old 05-15-2004, 05:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

pics in direct sun don't do red justice
Old 05-15-2004, 05:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Taking more pics tonight...
Old 05-15-2004, 08:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Dusted off the car and took some pictures in better light. I wish I was a better photographer! All pictures (including full resolution) can be found HERE:

Old 05-15-2004, 08:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Can you see the storm coming? We'll see how well this stuff holds up.

Old 05-15-2004, 08:52 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the catfish looks fantabulouse!!!!
Old 05-15-2004, 10:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

as far as applying NXT you should be applying it very light kinda like zaino. for some added wetness try wash, clay, 7, NXT, .. but overall it looks great. on this one i used menzerna IP, FP, NXT.
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...33692267ZZxINH
Old 05-15-2004, 10:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 6']['9
as far as applying NXT you should be applying it very light kinda like zaino. for some added wetness try wash, clay, 7, NXT, .. but overall it looks great. on this one i used menzerna IP, FP, NXT.
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...33692267ZZxINH
I wanted to get a solid coat of NXT on, then start applying lighter coats on top of it. Some other local guys have had great results using the lighter coats for a layered effect with much deeper shine.

I was happy when my hard-to-impress wife said my car looked like her fingernails after she put polish on them, while they were still wet and glossy.

The 2nd set of pictures came out much better, but they still don't do it justice...
Old 05-15-2004, 10:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jaberwaki
the catfish looks fantabulouse!!!!
Thanks dude! I think I need some chrome wheels...
Old 05-16-2004, 04:29 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1 Sounds
Thanks dude! I think I need some chrome wheels...
chrome is for lowriders....
you need race welds.
Old 05-16-2004, 05:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 2 SLOW
pics in direct sun don't do red justice
Old 05-16-2004, 05:10 PM
TECH Addict

Now that car is naked!
Looks good though!!!
can anyone say ..............."TWISTER"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ( that storm looks nasty)
Old 05-17-2004, 07:58 AM
Chop-Foo Director

Looks awesome Chad!

How'd you like that crowd we gathered putting on the first coat at the car show?

Yes, people ran to Walmart and bought some when they saw the results!!!
Old 05-17-2004, 08:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

LS1 Sounds - a major point of correction here. (you asked for tips... )

You are using WAYYYYY too much dawn. There is no need for 3 dawn washes, particularly after you are claying/etc. If you are going from beginning state directly to a sealant (no claying/polishing/etc.) then you would use dawn, but in your process I wouldn't use it. You should be using regular carwash. Dawn should be reserved for those rare occasions when you are switching from wax to sealant or one sealant brand to another without polishing/claying in between (why anyone would do this I don't know, but apparently they do waste time applying sealants/waxes without the proper prep aka polishing/claying)

Again, use dawn ONLY when you have to, and very sparingly. Certainly not 3 times in one detailing session.

-Tom
Old 05-17-2004, 09:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by XtinctHawk02
Now that car is naked!
Looks good though!!!
can anyone say ..............."TWISTER"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ( that storm looks nasty)
Naked is right! The front grille is gone, the nose emblem is gone, side Z28 badges and side molding are gone too. I think it cleaned up the lines of the car though! I'm pleased with the results. Now, I'm debating on going with a 2otl exhaust for the ultimate sleeper look. hehehe
Old 05-17-2004, 09:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SuperBuick
LS1 Sounds - a major point of correction here. (you asked for tips... )

You are using WAYYYYY too much dawn. There is no need for 3 dawn washes, particularly after you are claying/etc. If you are going from beginning state directly to a sealant (no claying/polishing/etc.) then you would use dawn, but in your process I wouldn't use it. You should be using regular carwash. Dawn should be reserved for those rare occasions when you are switching from wax to sealant or one sealant brand to another without polishing/claying in between (why anyone would do this I don't know, but apparently they do waste time applying sealants/waxes without the proper prep aka polishing/claying)

Again, use dawn ONLY when you have to, and very sparingly. Certainly not 3 times in one detailing session.

-Tom
Thanks for the advice Tom, this is the only time I have used Dawn on the car. I was switching from an older Carnuba wax to the new NXT polymer polish so I wanted to remove all traces before starting to apply the new polish. I tend to go a little overboard on things sometimes though... hehehe.

Can Dawn damage the clearcoat or paint? I was under the impression that it was safe to use for removing wax. Also, I used it before claying and after claying since I assumed the Showtime spray detailer contained some wax itself, which I wanted to remove before applying the ColorX/NXT. I just ran out of my normal car wash, and picked up some of the new NXT wash soap for use with the NXT wax. It seems OK so far.

Quick Reply: My NXT pics, Cayenne Red Metallic (dial-up warning!)