Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans lines at trans side 4l60e- Please someone go check their car for me..

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2004, 02:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Trans lines at trans side 4l60e- Please someone go check their car for me..

It seems to total consensus that the cooler out at the radiator is at the top.
Problem is I think I've got the lines at the trans side mixed up, as I had the lines completely loose and all the clips off (to give clearance for other work).. ugh. I was hooked up bottom of trans to bottom of radiator. The way I had it hooked up first, the lower radiator line was far cooler than the top/auxillary cooler "output" when warmed up.. which seems clearly hooked up wrong, but so I spend 1.5 hours reaching up the side of the trans, fiddling with those nasty clips and trying to reverse it... the lines seem the wrong length to reverse, I think I have them reversed and by the time I snap them in I realize I am in the same way as before... seemingly the lines aren't the right length to go in 'right" way... or maybe I just need to try again....ugh. Does anyone know for sure or can they check their car, say '00-'02 (I have an '01 z28) and check very carefully to see what line goes where... I can't believe everyone is wrong about which side of the trans is the input/output, but you never know... Also, I can't tell which way that cooler line clip off the alternator bolt goes.. Any help weelcome.

Thanks
Old 05-15-2004, 03:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

I spoke to the good sponsors at fbody trans and they say bottom trans <-> bottom radiator.. That's they way I've always had it, I'll recheck the temps after actually driving....maybe just idling in the driveway it picks up more heat than cools by going through radiator and aftermarket cooler. Thanks very much to fbody trans.
Old 05-15-2004, 06:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well, once the car really warms up from driving, both lines are very hot. I think when just idling, the trans is barely hot and running through the radiator even with the aftermarket cooler actually warms up the fluid...

Oh, and the reason I posted this is the one post you find on a search says that the lines go opposite to the way I have them, i.e. top of trans to bottom of radiator.... which looks like it is wrong.
Old 05-16-2004, 03:10 AM
Restricted User

The bottom line is the feed, and the top, return.
Old 05-16-2004, 06:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the confirmation. The feel the tubing test is useless apparently. When not run for long enough, the trans isn't hot enough to tell and the radiator warms up the fluid. After fully heatsoaked, both lines feel quite hot. At least I know it's right now.