Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

99 trans am supercharger help

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 10:39 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 trans am supercharger help

Hello, I was looking to supercharge my '99 trans am and was wondering what I needed to have along with a supercharger. Also what amount of boost is too much for the stock ls1 engine
Old 04-14-2014, 12:19 PM
Teching In

I would also like to know what supercharger kits there are for this car
Old 04-14-2014, 06:07 PM
rwb
TECH Enthusiast

Procharger.
You can safely run around 7psi with a good tune.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:34 AM
Teching In

Exactly what would I have to do under the hood? (Parts, etc.)
Old 04-15-2014, 12:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's pretty much a bare minimum to get you going, though there are tons of different things you could change or upgrade (fan, bracket, fuel system, IC, head units, by pass valves,, gauges). Do some searching and you'll see the different setups people run. Get as much info as you can. A build always snowballs so be ready for cost overruns incurred by upgrades or plan changes. Most importantly ask questions. I've asked my fair share and most people on here are accommodating, especially Bob from Brute Speed!! Bob is the man, by far best customer service I've ever had, always willing to help!! Great guy!!
Get a goal in mind, plan it and execute it accordingly. Good luck with your build.

Jason

http://shop.brutespeed.com/ATI-1TE10...-Speed-Kit.htm
Old 04-15-2014, 04:55 PM
Teching In

Thanks alot! Hopefully I can find enough info and be able to have this car built like I want it soon
Old 04-15-2014, 08:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

dont do it , go heads cam instead.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ramairetransam
dont do it , go heads cam instead.
BLASPHEMY, but I know what you mean.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:07 PM
Teching In

Good point, I will probably do the heads and cam and then see if I want to put the supercharger ontop of that later in time
Old 04-17-2014, 05:37 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jastone
Here's pretty much a bare minimum to get you going, though there are tons of different things you could change or upgrade (fan, bracket, fuel system, IC, head units, by pass valves,, gauges). Do some searching and you'll see the different setups people run. Get as much info as you can. A build always snowballs so be ready for cost overruns incurred by upgrades or plan changes. Most importantly ask questions. I've asked my fair share and most people on here are accommodating, especially Bob from Brute Speed!! Bob is the man, by far best customer service I've ever had, always willing to help!! Great guy!!
Get a goal in mind, plan it and execute it accordingly. Good luck with your build.

Jason

http://shop.brutespeed.com/ATI-1TE10...-Speed-Kit.htm

Thanks Jason, I appreciate it! Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 04-17-2014, 05:46 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by CG__99T/A
Hello, I was looking to supercharge my '99 trans am and was wondering what I needed to have along with a supercharger. Also what amount of boost is too much for the stock ls1 engine
8 psi with a good tune will normally give you an increase of 140 rwhp, and will normally be very reliable. The nice thing about getting the increase in power using a ProCharger, is that your gas mileage won't be too effected unless you have a lead foot.

http://brutespeed.com/prochargers.htm
A supercharger will decrease the fuel economy of your vehicle, right? WRONG!!

Although roots superchargers have significant parasitic load and do dramatically decrease fuel economy, centrifugal superchargers (like ProCharger) will yield approximately the same fuel economy as normally aspirated engines under normal throttle conditions. This means that after the installation of a ProCharger intercooled supercharger system, if you drive your vehicle in the same manner as you did before the installation, you should see no drop in fuel economy and in some cases customers with heavier vehicles have actually increased their fuel economy because of less frequent downshifts! However, the purpose of the supercharger is to get more air into the engine…and when you add air you must add fuel. So when you stand on the throttle and that impeller starts force-feeding your motor the air it deserves, your fuel system will allow more fuel in to create gobs of Grandma scaring horsepower. It is during those moments when supercharged vehicles see a drop in fuel economy.

To explain further, a supercharged engine operates at a much higher power and efficiency level than a naturally aspirated engine. So why, under normal operating conditions, would making an engine more efficient decrease fuel economy?

ProCharger has a large and ever changing fleet of test vehicles running the streets and race tracks every year. We use these vehicles to test everything you would expect from a company like ProCharger…durability, aesthetics, noise, drivability, power. What you may not expect is that we also collect fuel mileage data on these test mules. A small snapshot of some of our data is below.

2005 Mustang V6
Intercooled ProCharger P-1SC
Automatic Transmission
Factory Mileage Claim: 19 City/25 Hwy
ProCharged Fuel Mileage: 22.55 mpg
2004 Corvette Z06
Intercooled ProCharger P-1SC-1
Manual Transmission
Factory Mileage Claim: 19 City/28 Hwy
ProCharged Fuel Mileage: 21.00 mpg
2007 Mustang GT
Automatic Transmission
Factory Mileage Claim: 18 City/23 Hwy
ProCharged Fuel Mileage: 19.59 mpg
2006 Dodge Charger 5.7L HEMI
Automatic Transmission
Factory Mileage Claim: 17 City/25 Hwy
ProCharged Fuel Mileage: 21.00 mpg

The majority of the above data was taken during mostly highway driving on the 2007 Hot Rod Power Tour. As you can imagine, fuel mileage was not the main concern of our drivers when cruising along side the amazing cars that grace the Power Tour. The Dodge Charger fuel mileage was recorded on a recent roundtrip from Kansas City to Tampa, FL. Also, keep in mind that the above vehicles are all stock with the exception of the intercooled ProCharger system. Your fuel mileage may vary depending on your vehicle combination and driving habits.

2001 Chevrolet Silverado customer testimonial after the installation of a P-1SC-1 Intercooled ProCharger system.

“My gas mileage has increased nearly 1 mpg on my annual trip from Michigan to Alabama, from 16.19 mpg naturally aspirated to 17.06 mpg with the ProCharger. Considering these trips are taken during Christmas in the winter with periods of idle time and speeds with the flow of traffic the ProCharger actually helps gas mileage. Add the extra on demand power and the smiles per gallon, the truck makes the trips fun!”

2006 Hemi Ram customer testimonial after the installation of a P-1SC-1 Intercooled ProCharger system.

“I’ve got 34K miles on the supercharger system in the past 9 months, and it’s great. I pass other trucks on hills all the time while towing Bobcats and other heavy loads. And my fuel economy is about the same as it was before, but with a lot more power."

Here's a ProCharger that has 230,000 miles on it!
http://www.procharger.com/supercharger/blog/?p=961 Bob

Old 04-17-2014, 06:48 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I have had my car since new, so we're going on 14 years of ownership. I did the bolt-ons, cam only, then ported stock heads and different cam, then aftermarket castings with again a different cam, and finally went the FI route, then blew the stock motor, and went forged.

If I had to do it over again, I would have skipped the multiple different heads and cams and went straight to a Procharger with a cam and skipped all the other hassles. Nothing returns a better increase for the dollar spent (other than nitrous) that FI does.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:12 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
I have had my car since new, so we're going on 14 years of ownership. I did the bolt-ons, cam only, then ported stock heads and different cam, then aftermarket castings with again a different cam, and finally went the FI route, then blew the stock motor, and went forged.

If I had to do it over again, I would have skipped the multiple different heads and cams and went straight to a Procharger with a cam and skipped all the other hassles. Nothing returns a better increase for the dollar spent (other than nitrous) that FI does.
I agree with you, stop messing around and just go for the gold. I didnt realize you bought that car new, that is pretty cool.

Op, you could always do heads and cam in preparation for boost, or just a cam and then the supercharger. It is definitely worth the money for the amount of power you get. You just have to have a supporting fuel system, then the rest of the drivetrain has to be upgraded. Its a never ending battle, lol.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:23 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Originally Posted by Cam72aro
I agree with you, stop messing around and just go for the gold. I didnt realize you bought that car new, that is pretty cool.

Op, you could always do heads and cam in preparation for boost, or just a cam and then the supercharger. It is definitely worth the money for the amount of power you get. You just have to have a supporting fuel system, then the rest of the drivetrain has to be upgraded. Its a never ending battle, lol.
Yes sir. Bought it new. Came off the carrier with 11.7 miles on it.
Old 04-17-2014, 01:17 PM
Teching In

Bob, great points, I really would like to get some more hp, and try to keep as close as possible to the car's stock fuel economy while getting the extra hp. I don't want a ridiculous amount of hp, an extra 140hp sounds good if I can keep decent fuel economy.
Old 04-17-2014, 05:57 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by CG__99T/A
Bob, great points, I really would like to get some more hp, and try to keep as close as possible to the car's stock fuel economy while getting the extra hp. I don't want a ridiculous amount of hp, an extra 140hp sounds good if I can keep decent fuel economy.
Yeah, it really is a good way to go. Bob

Old 04-17-2014, 06:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by The Alchemist

X2 well said...
Bought my car in 01 with 6,127 miles on the clock. It's had 3 cams in it, all sorts of different boltons ect ect. Most of witch is sitting in the garage or sold at 50% for what I paid. Go with the Procharger and don't look back.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:33 PM
11 Second Club

I kind of agree about going through a few sets of heads/cam/header setups before I finally started planning for FI.
However...
When I did heads/cam, I could have the car back together and running after a weekend.

How many of us are currently in a FI build that could stretch from 3 to 48 months getting every last bolt and tube installed.
I'd bet there's a lot. I know mine's been down 2 1/2 years and I'm just getting started lol.

I can see the advantage of turnkey kits now.
Old 04-18-2014, 06:32 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Originally Posted by V-10 Killer
I kind of agree about going through a few sets of heads/cam/header setups before I finally started planning for FI.
However...
When I did heads/cam, I could have the car back together and running after a weekend.

How many of us are currently in a FI build that could stretch from 3 to 48 months getting every last bolt and tube installed.
I'd bet there's a lot. I know mine's been down 2 1/2 years and I'm just getting started lol.

I can see the advantage of turnkey kits now.
With a Procharger setup, I see no reason why it can't be done in a weekend, the key is having all the parts you need, and having someone who knows what they are doing.

I put my kit together, using multiple references and sources from this site and got all the parts together and slowly started working on the car making changes that allowed me to stay on the road while I did them, like swapping out radiator fans, installing the ATI crank pulley, etc etc.

Finally once I had all the pieces of the puzzle, working in the garage with kids around, I was able to get it done over the course of two weekends working alone. Biggest hurdle was figuring out how to make the piping for the FMIC, but pics on this site helped tremendously.

Now a custom turbo build, yes, that's where you see 6 month to multi year builds.

Quick Reply: 99 trans am supercharger help