Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Rear exit exhaust with no mufflers?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 06:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear exit exhaust with no mufflers?

Currently I am running a single passenger side dump through a Summit 3" turbo muffler and it is way too quiet.

The setup is a 5.3 with LS9 cam and truck manifolds running into a Master Power T70 then 3" exhaust from there out to just under the rear of the passenger door on my 86 Monte Carlo SS.

I am going to go back to a dual exhaust by splitting my turbine discharge into two 2.5" pipes that dump out beneath the rear bumper and I am seriously considering not using any mufflers.

I will probably build it without mufflers no matter what and if it is too loud I will add them later. But I would love to hear or see what you folks have done!
Old 04-14-2014, 06:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well for what its wroth, im twin turbo and my downpipes stop where my motor meets the trans. I plan on doing 3" true duals, no crossover, no mufflers over the axle and out the back, mandrel bent with 4" corsa tips. honestly the car isnt very loud out side the car. its pretty noisy inside, but my D1 procharger setup, cammed, headers and 3" true duals dumped were way louder than my car is now. heres a small flyby video of the car with open downpipes on my twin turbo setup.

im sure it sound pretty similar to this with the exhaust on it. possibly quieter.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:34 PM
On The Tree

Wow!

Your car sounds vicious and looks like a rocket. Very cool.

Didn't actually seem that loud from the video. Thank you. I now can't wait to ditch that stupid muffler and just run open pipes!
Old 04-14-2014, 10:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would put a 6in bullet muffler or equivalent on. What happens when you run close to a full length exhaust on a turbo car it gets a rasp to it. Like old redneck pickup with straight pipes rasp. Sounds like ****.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:30 PM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

Wouldn't hurt to get some cheap straight-through mufflers. I agree with the rasp. Some sort of muffler to trap the unwanted resonance would be a plus. You don't have to spend $200 and get expensive mufflers.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:43 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't really have a good video of the car so that you can hear the exhaust while driving, but here is an idle clip if that will help you at all.

3" DP all the way over the axle, then it splits into two 3" pipes into the CME tip.

Quick Reply: Rear exit exhaust with no mufflers?