LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Possibly my opti again! woohoo

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 08:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Possibly my opti again! woohoo

Well im having trouble tracking down an issue with my car. it stumbles under load between 1000-3000 rpm. Well you feel its the most during those rpms, any higher it just feels like it smooths out but its really not.

ive had a noise ive been trying to track down and low and behold i finally got a good listen on it and booooom. my opti. 100% my opti whining like a sob. i can almost guarantee this sob is the root of my issue. So off with this one and a new one will go on this weekend.

Amazon has fantastic customer service. This opti thats on my car is new and only been on there running for maybe a month. I talked to them just but an hour ago after i figured the problem. New opti on my doorstep by wednesday. I was completely shocked but its what they should have done. Its a delphi unit and so was the one im taking off.

Now is there a certain length the cam dowel is supposed to be? i want to measure that before i slide another opti on cause ive read stories of a slightly off pin putting stress on the bearing and blowing them out quickly. dont feel like doing opti again so ill make sure thats not a reason the thing is whining.

Thanks guys
Old 04-15-2014, 08:32 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

http://shbox.com/ci/cam_install.html

What kind of opti is it? Have you checked the plug wires in the dark with the engine running?
Old 04-15-2014, 08:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Its a Delphi Opti. I had a huge problem with arcing and this Opti fixed that. But its been missing and having a bad sound. finally figured out it is the new Opti. Haven't seen any arcing lately. I can look again.

Either way new Opti will go on Thursday. Rotor screws will be locktite. I'll check the cam pin. Its a lunati
Old 04-17-2014, 12:15 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Camaro350Z28
Its a Delphi Opti. I had a huge problem with arcing and this Opti fixed that. But its been missing and having a bad sound. finally figured out it is the new Opti. Haven't seen any arcing lately. I can look again.

Either way new Opti will go on Thursday. Rotor screws will be locktite. I'll check the cam pin. Its a lunati
My 95 has a Lunati Voodoo cam. I can't remember why but I had to replace the cam pin. Called Lunati and they sent a new pin. Guess I have CRS

Al 95 Z28
Old 04-17-2014, 10:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 240 Likes on 170 Posts

Sometimes you get a good one sometimes not. The best opti is....No Opti.
Old 04-17-2014, 05:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

stock opti i have never had an issue. now that i try to replace one its a nightmare. cant get a good part or they get shipped so brutal its broken when i receive it. etc

got my new one in mail. will be trying it on tomorrow.

ill report back if it actually works!

Quick Reply: Possibly my opti again! woohoo