Sponsored by:

Disappointed in Performabuilt

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 10:43 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disappointed in Performabuilt

Hello all,

Ordered a transmission from Performabuilt and it arrived... however the torque converter I ordered was not shipped with transmission.

When ordering the transmission I asked how long it would take and they advised 3 weeks which was fine... transmission arrived in 4.5 weeks but with no mention of the torque converter being shipped separately. I called and they then told me that the torque converter is shipped from FTI.

It has now been a few days since the transmission arrived and still no torque converter. I do have an email into Frank but still waiting for an answer.

Just wanted to post this here in case someone else is ordering a transmission and expecting everything to arrive at the same time to be able to install it.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:55 AM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the aftermarket world!
Old 04-15-2014, 12:10 PM
FormerVendor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I can understand the frustration BUT let me give you some insight into what we deal with as vendors.

Parts COMMONLY disappear if shipped on an open pallet with a transmission.

Dipsticks, yokes, converters, manual control boxes, etc.

We quit shipping anything with the trans except for the converter due to this, and we secure the converter in such a way that it is hard to steal.

Once your product becomes popular, there is likely to be someone at the freight company dock that knows the value, and we've had whole transmissions come up missing for a week or two until we filed the loss claim and they instantly re-appear.

You are also at the mercy of suppliers (FTI in this case), and the shipping companies.

I had a customer ship a trans back to me a couple of weeks ago. It was hurt due to tuning or low fluid level. He was irate over the slow shipping. We have NO control over the shipping other than to set it up and it wouldn't have needed to come back had he done the installation/tuning correctly.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:40 PM
TECH Regular

Yes sir^^^^ Greg got me my snowman converter brand new in 3 days shipped to Michigan... and same for my Buddy.. doubt its on FTI's end of the deal... its either performa built or its lost in shipping which I've had before.
Old 04-15-2014, 01:20 PM
Teching In

I appreciate the information from Jake's Performance however in this situation I feel that the issue could have been communicated ahead of time to avoid any of these posts.

If it took the transmission 3 weeks to be built... why could that torque converter not been already shipped to me?

I work in the automotive industry and can understand supplier delays but none has been communicated to me by Performabuilt.

The main reason for this thread is for someone who is searching for replacement transmission parts to be aware that all parts may not arrive at the same time when ordered from Performabuilt.
Old 04-15-2014, 02:09 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

From Alan (the President of PerformaBuilt Transmissions)

Frank,
I have seen the post on LS-1 Tech. Please post this in the thread.
We have been exceptionally busy this spring and as you well know I have actually been helping on the build floor as well as taking care of the normal “administrative” functions. I do not lie to my customers. I missed ordering his converter the day his transmission shipped and I can only apologize at this point. I have ordered his converter and told Greg to ship it 2nd day so it will arrive before the weekend.
When we screw up we don’t try to hide it and quite simply I screwed up.
Alan

Call 888-744-6542

Old 04-15-2014, 02:23 PM
Teching In

Thank you Alan for the information. I will post another update once the torque converter arrives.

On a side post.. transmission looks great!

Old 04-15-2014, 07:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That is a pretty thing.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:28 PM
TECH Regular

i have dealt with performabuilt before and was very happy with them . i didnt get my converter with trans either as it rises shipping price , damage , lose etc happens .
Old 04-15-2014, 08:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by performabuilt

Frank,
We have been exceptionally busy this spring and as you well know I have actually been helping on the build floor as well as taking care of the normal “administrative” functions. I do not lie to my customers. I missed ordering his converter the day his transmission shipped and I can only apologize at this point. I have ordered his converter and told Greg to ship it 2nd day so it will arrive before the weekend.
Alan
That's legit ^

OP, you should have waited to hear back from the supplier before making a complaint thread.

Business happens.

/thread
Old 04-15-2014, 09:01 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by performabuilt

Frank,
Alan
^^^
You can respect this. Everyone has off days. Nothing better for a customer when something doesn't go right, seller acknowledges the mistake and makes it right.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:55 PM
FormerVendor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I order from Summit Racing often and the parts come on at separate times. They don't call to tell me that.

When you are custom building each unit, it takes a lot of time to make the products appearance like what you see here, and keep track of the orders, etc.
I have a full time teardown guy, a full time dyno guy, 3 full time office people not including myself, and two full time builders.
That is 6 people including myself to support 2 builders. I've always thought 1 builder wouldn't need more than 1 additional support person but it takes a huge amount of time to deal with customers.
Most customers don't realize that time spent on the phone or email is directly related to how fast they get their product in this type of industry.
Letting them know you didn't get it is due diligence and a valid concern, because those types of things can certainly get overlooked when you are busy and deal with a great number of people in a day.
Complaining about it when they handled it seems like an overreaction.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:27 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

The point is to always make every effort to contact the vendor before posting up a public thread about a problem. Have a little patience; shops get busy and behind on things at times. There's no need for undue negative publicity about a sponsor.

Quick Reply: Disappointed in Performabuilt