Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

BW S475 Burning and Leaking Oil from Downpipe.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 12:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Default BW S475 Burning and Leaking Oil from Downpipe.....

Borg Warner S475 turbo, -4AN feed and -10AN drain into the pan above the oil. No bends in the return line greater than 45* and even those are just the AN fittings coming out of the turbo and then going into the pan. Turbo is mounted high on the front driver side. Feed and drain are perfectly straight up/down.

Still trying to get the wrinkles ironed out before heading to the dyno and my luck turns South again. Yesterday after getting to temp the downpipe starts puffing blue smoke at idle, even worse when reving. I shut it down and within mins there is a small puddle of oil about the size of a baseball under the downpipe on the garage floor. Even when already warm the smoking doesn't start for a few mins after the engine is started/running.

The odd part it I have had the engine running with the turbo for the last 2 weeks, maybe 30-45 mins of combined idle and reving under 4k and this is the first time it started smoking/leaking. No load or drive time at all other than pulling into the driveway from the garage (20'). Never once has it even made a single pound of boost. Oil pressure is 50 psi cold and drops to 40 psi when at 180*. Running 5w-30 oil.

Some local guys have suggested I run a 1.5mm restrictor, but BW doesn't say to do that.

At this point I am at a loss and almost ready to give up.

Any help is welcomed and thanked in advance.

Last edited by Ford_Assassin; 04-19-2014 at 08:14 AM.
Old 04-18-2014, 02:07 PM
8 Second Club

Received 698 Likes on 439 Posts

My pressure and feed size are the same as yours. Same oil too.
I just checked for you and my restrictor size is .125".

I got no guidance on that, some said run no restrictor, run smaller etc.

That said, mine was the same way. Drove all over for 2 weeks, not a puff. Stopped for gas, bs'd with the station guys for a bit, pulled out and went 2 blocks and my car looks like a smoke machine.

It quit very quickly and has not smoked a puff since.....

I did readjust my return line slightly as it had moved and was going uphill a slight amount.

Don't give up. Maybe pull the drain off and make sure it's flowing? Drive some more and see if it quits?

BTW, too much oil is better than not enough.

Ron
Old 04-18-2014, 02:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I ran -4 feed and -12 return. When turbo was new and I first started the car it took several short spells where it would leak a good bit of oil into the downpipe. After a few good street cruises I guess it broke in and sealed up lol. It had me worried for a few days but its been fine ever since.
Old 04-19-2014, 12:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ran it today after pulling the PCV filters to comfirn they arent the issue. Started it up and just like last time it starts smoking after getting to 140 degrees or so.

I pulled the drain tube this afternoon and its perfect. Next I pulled the downpipe and its soaked and coated in burnt oil inside. Then I pulled the whole turbo and it is leaking a small amount on the compressor side too.

I called Bullseye Turbo and they suggested I send it in for inspection and possible rebuild. Its being shipped out to Bullseye on Monday.
Old 04-19-2014, 05:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like a DOA unit.....it does happen just not very often.
Old 04-19-2014, 07:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Just one more setback on a cost over run project. Story of my life....lol
Old 04-19-2014, 07:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

You should leave it on and run it at least a few street runs. Mine (s475) did this and it stopped after about 3 or 4 trips driving it around. It would be fine then just still blowing oil out. Looked like a train going down the road. I just drove anyway and it stopped on its own. I know its odd but its almost like it needed to heat cycle a few times to seal off completely.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I finally got the guy who sold it to me to respond to my msgs. Turns out it wasn't new, he ran it for 'a couple thousand miles' on his previous toy (6.0 LQ4 powered Camaro) and had it cleaned before posting it for sale. It definitely fooled me because except for some minor surface rust on the turbine housing, it looked great. He said it never leaked or burned a drop of oil, but since he already lied once, I wouldn't believe him if he told me rain was wet.

I guess I should of known better since I got it for less than half of retail price, but it's done now.

Moving on.....

Now that we know that the turbo isn't new and has an unknown history, now what?

I still find it odd that it didn't smoke/leak at first with me and then started.

Last edited by Ford_Assassin; 04-23-2014 at 01:47 AM.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:50 AM
8 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ford_Assassin
Just one more setback on a cost over run project. Story of my life....lol
Right there with you..
Old 04-19-2014, 09:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

I finally got the guy who sold it to me to respond to my msgs. Turns out it wasn't new, he ran it for 'a couple thousand miles' on his previous toy (6.0 LQ4 powered Camaro) and had it cleaned before posting it for sale. It definitely fooled me because except for some minor surface rust on the turbine housing, it looked great. He said it never leaked or burned a drop of oil, but since he already lied once, I wouldn't believe him if he told me rain was wet.

I guess I should of known better since I got it for less than half of retail price, but it's done now.

Moving on.....

Now that we know that the turbo isn't new and has an unknown history, now what?

I still find it odd that it didn't smoke/leak at first with me and then started.
Yeah new facts at hand throw out all I said above.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oil starts to thin out, turbo expands, tolerances change, oil starts to leak. I would get it checked out. That sucks man, but it will all come together.
Old 04-19-2014, 11:47 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yup rebuild with bullseye.i had the same problem with mine.sent it to the had rebuilt and back in a few days.
Old 04-19-2014, 03:16 PM
Teching In

i would call jose and see what he says.worse comes to worse send it to him and have him go over it and set your mind to rest.good luck
Old 04-21-2014, 09:36 AM
Staging Lane

I'm going through the same thing with a new s476r. -4 feed, -12 drain, even tried a .060 restrictor, no difference.
Smoked from day 1 on the dyno, puked oil from the cartridge and exhaust wheel.
Martin and Jose are taking care of it.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:20 AM
8 Second Club

Received 676 Likes on 499 Posts

You may want to look into larger drain while your at it.

Check the ID of the drain on the turbo itself. It’s close to ¾" for a reason. Typical ID of an AN10 hose is .56" or so. Most of the fittings ID’s are much smaller. (esp cheap china junk and push on fittings).

I believe Airworks/BW suggest 19mm minimum ID drain lines. Not that some don’t get away with less…
Old 04-23-2014, 01:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Taking the advise of several local turbo guys, I installed a 0.090" restrictor and it seemed to have solved my oil burning issue. Although I have only let it idle long enough to get the temp twice.
Old 04-23-2014, 01:53 AM
8 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Taking the advise of several local turbo guys, I installed a 0.090" restrictor and it seemed to have solved my oil burning issue. Although I have only let it idle long enough to get the temp twice.
Are you on HBZ as well? that avatar looks familiar
Old 04-23-2014, 08:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by oscs
Are you on HBZ as well? that avatar looks familiar
Yes, but I haven't owned a S30 since July 2012.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:54 AM
Staging Lane

I did that and it helped until the first WOT run.

What are you running for an oil pump? I have a ported LS6 with a high pressure spring in mine, not sure if it's partially to blame or not.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 02SOMSS
I did that and it helped until the first WOT run.

What are you running for an oil pump? I have a ported LS6 with a high pressure spring in mine, not sure if it's partially to blame or not.
Stock 2004 LQ4 6.0 pump.

Quick Reply: BW S475 Burning and Leaking Oil from Downpipe.....