Learned some new laws this week.

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 07:12 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Learned some new laws this week.

Had to take my son to court this week for to many people in the car. He was told 6 months after he got his license that he could have more than 1 passenger. Well, the law changed and never knew it. It changed to only 1 passenger until they are 18 no matter what. Unless they are family. Funny thing is the judge or the prosecutor didn't know, they had to look it up. Judge was going to dismiss because of the confusion, but the prosecutor wouldn't. She had a chip on her shoulder. The judge was pushing my son to take it to jury, he was to scared. While we were there, (we were last since they had to look it up), the judge told us that anything on the shaded part of your windshield is against the law. It's usually just the DPS that will give you a ticket for it. It's an old law that just hasn't been taken off the books.

So if you had kids under 18, only 1 passenger. Just thought I would let you guys know. The ticket was $202, but he got deferred.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:44 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the heads up. I have a 16 year old driving around and sometimes he has two passengers. One is usually his sister, but not always.

Deferred by taking defensive driving? My son got a ticket for not coming to a complete stop at a stop sign. Looks to be $170.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:49 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

I have not taken the legal update yet(need to). Interesting.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:50 PM
Launching!

The law makers in this country are ******* retarded. When I was 16 we crammed 14 people into my bronco to go to the county fair. We were just fine.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by playtoy
The law makers in this country are ******* retarded. When I was 16 we crammed 14 people into my bronco to go to the county fair. We were just fine.
This. It's because of all the people that overreact to every little situation.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:28 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by playtoy
me too had several cases of beer also! Young and dumb!! Maybe that's why they have the law?
Old 04-20-2014, 07:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

it's been like that for the past year or two if im not mistaken (under 18 passenger law). and as far as stuff on your windshield if you look on the glass next to your a-pillars towards the top you will a "-as1" you can have whatever you want as long as it stays above that line, anything below that line is considered obstructed windshield and is another reason to get pulled over and possibly a ticket.

EDIT: I just looked it up. This law has been revised almost every other year since '09 which is when I think they changed the age to 18. It is in the Texas Transportation Code Chapter 545. Section 424 (545.424). It also says that if you are under the age of 18 that you cannot use your cell phone while driving unless it is for an emergency. I didn't know that but you cannot be pulled over because the cop "thinks" you are under 18.

Also if anyone cares to read the law about street racing that is in Section 545.420.

Last edited by 02CamaroSSLE; 04-20-2014 at 08:02 AM.
Old 04-20-2014, 10:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, my older daughter got her license four years ago almost to the date and the limit of the number of people in the vehicle was in place already back then.

So, obviously who ever told something different to OP was either misinformed or the message got misinterpreted.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:28 PM
Staging Lane

I guess there is a little confusion on what I said. The law changed on sept 1 of 2013 to until they are 18, only one passenger. If they are family, more than one is ok. Before it was 1 passenger until after they had the license for 6 months, then it changed to 1 year, then to the current law of 18. And obviously you can be pulled over if you look under 18. My son was not on phone, speeding, run red light or stop sign. He was pulled over because he looked under 18.

The windshield thing is what I was told by the judge and another cop that was in there. The only thing aloud above that mark (the shaded area) is a govt sticker. They did say that it isn't pushed unless a DPS pulls you over. I was just letting you guys know what I learned and what I was told. Take it for what it us, just info to help some of you.
Old 04-21-2014, 06:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bill2002
I guess there is a little confusion on what I said. The law changed on sept 1 of 2013 to until they are 18, only one passenger. If they are family, more than one is ok. Before it was 1 passenger until after they had the license for 6 months, then it changed to 1 year, then to the current law of 18. And obviously you can be pulled over if you look under 18. My son was not on phone, speeding, run red light or stop sign. He was pulled over because he looked under 18.

The windshield thing is what I was told by the judge and another cop that was in there. The only thing aloud above that mark (the shaded area) is a govt sticker. They did say that it isn't pushed unless a DPS pulls you over. I was just letting you guys know what I learned and what I was told. Take it for what it us, just info to help some of you.
No you can't. It specifically says in the Traffic Code that it is not probable cause to initiate a traffic stop because you think they are under 18. If that happened to your son, hire a lawyer and when it goes to trial the first thing the lawyer will ask the officer is what was his probable cause for pulling your son over. if the officer says that then bam case dismissed. I am not giving you any legal advise I am just saying what the traffic code is saying. Either way I would hire a lawyer.

Chapter 545 Section 424 subsection e says "(e) A peace officer may not stop a vehicle or detain the operator of a vehicle for the sole purpose of determining whether the operator of the vehicle has violated this section."
Old 04-21-2014, 08:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Promote recycling, fuel conservation, etc. in schools.
Require car manufacturers to produce cars that get at least XX MPG.

Turn around and pass retarded laws like this.

I used to surf a lot when I was in high school. I lived about 35 miles from the beach. We'd usually have 4 surboards on the roof and 4 people in the vehicle. Everyone would pitch in for gas money (Early 90's - 89 cents/gallon). We lived through it and turned out just fine.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:00 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 02CamaroSSLE
No you can't. It specifically says in the Traffic Code that it is not probable cause to initiate a traffic stop because you think they are under 18. If that happened to your son, hire a lawyer and when it goes to trial the first thing the lawyer will ask the officer is what was his probable cause for pulling your son over. if the officer says that then bam case dismissed. I am not giving you any legal advise I am just saying what the traffic code is saying. Either way I would hire a lawyer.

Chapter 545 Section 424 subsection e says "(e) A peace officer may not stop a vehicle or detain the operator of a vehicle for the sole purpose of determining whether the operator of the vehicle has violated this section."

I am not saying I don't agree with you. This happens all the time. It's the same as pulling over someone because of the color of their skin. We have already been to court, and my son took the deferred with defensive driving. The judge was even trying for him to take it to jury. My son was to scared to loose and it go on his record. He was pulled over in a small (rich) town by us. My wife brought up the fact that he wasn't doing anything to get pulled over, and it was just ignored. I really didn't think it was going to go this far since there were so many screwed up things with this law. But the prosecutor wouldn't drop anything.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:05 AM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Nothing says you can't publicly out the situation and the prosecutor by name. It probably wouldn't be worth it though.

Quick Reply: Learned some new laws this week.