Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Opinions on mods im going to be doing

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 11:51 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on mods im going to be doing

I'm finally pulling the trigger on fixing/modifying my car. I have an appointment set up with Speed INC. I am replacing my mounts (motor/trans/diff) with creative steel units. The service manager is suggesting the cradle mounts from Rev shift (soft). Im getting the DSS aluminum driveshaft/axles. I am also getting a tune. My car is stock other than a K&N drop in (which means nothing but I thought I would mention it).

Questions:

Rev shift or creative steel cradle bushings?
Volant or just save the cash and stick with the K&N drop in I have?
Does a Volant really give you 16hp?
What does an 2004 V dyno stock?
What kind of gains does a tune on a stock car give? 15-20hp?

This is my nice day weekend car. If i'm satisfied with these little mods I'll leave it alone. If not I think the next step is upgrading the clutch and adding 100 N/A horsepower (I want factory look and sound if its possible). A blower/turbo would be nice but then I should just buy a V2 IMO.
Old 04-19-2014, 01:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car is at Speed Inc right now getting a new LS7 clutch/flywheel, hi-flow cats, basic tune and they sent the trans to Finish Line. I have the Revshift rear cradle bushings as well as the rear trailing arm bushings. I noticed no detrimental side effects after their installation, but did notice a more stable feel from the rear end. Definitely a worthwhile modification.

I see no need for an intake at near stock engine power levels unless you want more noise. The tune is where your real improvements are going to come from.
Old 04-19-2014, 02:05 PM
On The Tree

If you're looking for more power, headers are the best bang for the buck. I would recommend doing them before an intake or a tune.
Old 04-19-2014, 07:58 PM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

The stock box is fine for your setup. Try and find the lpe cai once you got more upgrades.

A proper tune will help clean up your overly rich pig, but its almost not worth it with ur mods. Headers, cam, heads, and intake manifold would be worth retunin for.

Dont buy diablo or hypertech they will only be wastin ur money. U neew hptuners or efilive. I have both and find the hptuners so much easier to use but the efiline goes more indepth....
Old 04-21-2014, 10:58 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Naf
The stock box is fine for your setup. Try and find the lpe cai once you got more upgrades.

A proper tune will help clean up your overly rich pig, but its almost not worth it with ur mods. Headers, cam, heads, and intake manifold would be worth retunin for.

Dont buy diablo or hypertech they will only be wastin ur money. U neew hptuners or efilive. I have both and find the hptuners so much easier to use but the efiline goes more indepth....
I didn't see the CAI on LPE's website. I am assuming they don't make it anymore?

I'm having Speed INC do their basic tune to it. If I end up building it up I'm either going to them and see what they come up with or going to Katech and doing one of their packages.

Who knows I might be satisfied with the mods I'm doing now and leave it alone. My car only has 23K on it and I bought it with 14K on it I've had it for 7 years. The other thing I'm thinking about is the fact that not many were built and keeping mine close to original in the long run it might be worth something . If I get the bug to mod it more I can buy another one or a V2 down the line. It's a joy to drive it now the only thing is the wheel hop that ruins the day. My Cobra didn't wheel hop as much as this car does. My car even wheel hops going into second and I have PSS's (spend the extra money on these tires they are worth every penny) on it.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:03 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Fweasel
My car is at Speed Inc right now getting a new LS7 clutch/flywheel, hi-flow cats, basic tune and they sent the trans to Finish Line. I have the Revshift rear cradle bushings as well as the rear trailing arm bushings. I noticed no detrimental side effects after their installation, but did notice a more stable feel from the rear end. Definitely a worthwhile modification.

I see no need for an intake at near stock engine power levels unless you want more noise. The tune is where your real improvements are going to come from.
Notice any extra vibration from the bushings? Did the wheel hop reduce/go away?

From what I researched you need the axles, one piece driveshaft, and the cradle bushings to eliminate the wheel hop.
Old 04-21-2014, 12:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Keep the stock airbox, but upgrade the pipe going to the box. Get a 90* bend and a piece of straight pipe and couplers to fit the maf and box. Then I'd cut the front bend off the snorkel behind the grill for a blast of fresh air into the box while driving.
Old 04-21-2014, 01:21 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BudRacing
Keep the stock airbox, but upgrade the pipe going to the box. Get a 90* bend and a piece of straight pipe and couplers to fit the maf and box. Then I'd cut the front bend off the snorkel behind the grill for a blast of fresh air into the box while driving.

I'm interested in this option. Free or nearly free mods are my favorite. Any pics or a link to the finished product? I've had a couple of air boxes on my GTP's and wasn't happy with them(horrible quality), and I think an exposed airfilter sucks in more under hood air than cold air. Modifying the stock air box sounds like a good option. Those air pipes are designed to quiet down the noise and if I remember correctly on the LT1 4th gens with the 1LE they came with smooth pipes and had 5hp extra.
Old 04-21-2014, 01:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't have pics as mine came with an open element K&N that I haven't felt the urge to change. I'm sure the office trash can mod would work better than the K&N shield, but for right now it's not on the priority list.

The couplers and pipe aren't the cheapest items, but definitely less expensive than a prefabbed "kit" from a brand-name source.
Old 04-21-2014, 01:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

here's what mine looks like. it gets the job done.

Old 04-21-2014, 03:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have any experiences with all the other intakes but despite what most say about the volant CAI, I did not regret purchasing it when I first got it. The butt-dyno definitely approved of it and it's honestly really not that expensive compared to everything else

Quick Reply: Opinions on mods im going to be doing