Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Limitations on Stock Main Cap bolts??

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 12:16 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Limitations on Stock Main Cap bolts??

I have a buddy who is building a ls2 block with the intention of boosting it later on down the road. I know once you switch to arp studs line honing might be necessary. My question is at what power level would arp hardware be necessary on the main caps?? he asked me and I was stumped so that's why I ask you guys.....have any stock bolts ever failed?? any input would be highly appreciated. He is doing a budget build, I know for many they choose to use arp anyways to have their mind at ease
Old 04-20-2014, 12:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

How much boost will be the question. Guys run procharger setups on 10-12 psi all day long. Denmah on here says he starts out at 20 psi on those little 4.8 and 5.3 builds.

I honestly think that you will break something else before the main bolts become an issue if its a stock internal motor.
Old 04-20-2014, 12:36 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think he stated 600-700 on procharger setup im assuming 10-15psi.... that what I figured as well. My old setup on my Camaro was running 11.5 psi dynoed 725rwhp on stock shortblock with cam and head studs.... ive never heard of anyone breaking at the point of the engine.
Old 04-20-2014, 12:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Exactly. I don't see it necessary to upgrade until the crank is going to see an excessive amount of force applied to it. Too many guys putting down stupid number on stock bolts. I see it that if you are going to go over 800 rwhp is the point of to spend some money on the bottom end

Quick Reply: Limitations on Stock Main Cap bolts??