Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Brake Rotor/Pad options

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 11:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Rotor/Pad options

Hey guys, my V needs rotors and pads VERY soon. The rotors look awful and the pads are down to probably 15%. So I need advice as to what to get. The car is more of a DD than anything right now. I do take it to the drag strip about once a month, and I would like to try Auto X sometime this year (always been on my list to do but have never made it to an auto x event yet). Are most people going the brake motive route? Or stock replacement parts?
Old 04-20-2014, 11:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

DRT GS3500 slotted rotors and RacingBrake ET500 or ET800 pads. Do not buy BrakeMotive GS3000 rotors, unless you're a Sunday driver. I've had ET800 pads for about five weeks now, and have not needed to clean the dust off my wheels yet. Braking performance is slightly better than the Hawk HP+.
Old 04-21-2014, 12:12 AM
On The Tree

What's the recommendation on Drilled/Slotted vs just slotted? Any REAL difference here?
Old 04-21-2014, 12:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MichaelSuch
What's the recommendation on Drilled/Slotted vs just slotted? Any REAL difference here?
I would avoid anything drilled... they are prone to cracking.

I should probably try different pads sometime, but the stock pads on stock rotors work great (I autoX it every month and have surprised quite a few people with how well our cars stop) they don't squeak and only dust minimally... seems like a good deal to me... will you give up some track performance, sure, but if you have not been to an autox yet, I guarantee you will not notice the difference in brake pads, it take a good while just to learn how to be quick first.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Skip the slotting or drilling unless you just want it for aesthetic purposes.

Centric Premium rotors from rockauto.com work very well at a great price. Centric has pretty much become my "go to" option if I need rotors or recommend rotors to someone else.

There are tons of pad options out there, and many of them will work just fine. Personally, I've tried the Stoptech Street Performance pads, which I've read very good reviews for elsewhere, but wasn't terribly impressed by them. They didn't generate much dust, which was good, but their initial bite wasn't as strong as I like. I can't remember what I had before the Stoptech pads, but I was happier with those.

When I shifted to the V2 calipers I first tried Hawk HPSs, which I knew had a reputation for being pretty weak pads, and that reputation proved true. I picked up some ACDelco pads, figuring for $45 it couldn't hurt to try them out, and I've been very happy with them. Very good initial bite, even in frigid temps, no noise, and they don't seem to produce much dust. They're the Raybestos/ACDelco Durastop Professional semi-metallic, 17D1050M for the front and 17D1053M for the rear. Note that they're OEM parts - GM part numbers 19137367 and 19137368 - so you can search around for pricing that way, too, but I imagine rockauto.com will be hard to beat.

If you go with rockauto.com, use 2130119019204589 in the "How did you hear about us?" block for a 5% discount.
Old 04-21-2014, 02:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Your not doing anything hard on the car so i would stay stock pad and rotors.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went from stock GM to Duralast Premium ceramics to Hawk HP+. Very pleased with the HP+ so far. The Duralast premiums which are normally good were terrible for the V, just terrible! The HP+ just grab and keep grabbing harder, its awesome.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

As far as the drilled rotors, you always 'hear' of them cracking, but I've only ever seen evidence of that on cars that are used on tracks.

That said, I had a different annoying problem with them in the street. The beveled edges of the holes in the rotor would build up with pad-deposits and then get picked back up by the pads. You'd end up with concentric grooves on the rotor right where the holes are. It's ugly and a pain in the ***.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Concur with AAIIC on the centric premiums. They are pretty much the standard for track rats because of price and durability. They will be more than adequate on the street and they are wallet friendly. As for the pads I would recommend the OEM pads unless you are doing HPDEs or autox events.

I will also concur that the drilled would not be an issue on the street but I have cracked sets on the track so I personally stay away from them.
Old 04-21-2014, 05:22 PM
On The Tree

Car and driver tests
Old 04-21-2014, 05:53 PM
TECH Resident

I'm using Hawk HPS pads with stock rotors matched on a Pro-cut warthog. I love the stopping power but I feel like they do pump out a lot of dust for being a "ultra low dust" pad

Quick Reply: Brake Rotor/Pad options