Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

HPDE/street pads?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 03:16 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HPDE/street pads?

My plan right now is to eventually go with the CTS-V set up (still deciding between 4 piston and 6 piston) but for now I was wondering what a good upgrade for my front pads would be for trying out some HDPE events. I am currently running the brake motive rotors and brake motiv ceramic pads and though dead quiet, low dusting, and more than enough stop for the street I know it would not be enough for an HPDE. I was taking a look at the HPS, HP+, DTC30 on stranos webpage. I have tried calling to talk to him for the past couple days and they have taken my info but I am sure he is super busy right now so I wanted to check in here to see if anyone had a recommendation for a street/HPDE pad that was low on noise? If that doesn't exist I may just pick up a set of DTC30 or 70s and swap them with my ceramics for when I do an event.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:50 PM
TECH Addict

to be safe, and get best results, swap pads/rotors for a track day. if you cant, then at least HP+ or the next step up in hawks line would be a decent compromise for street/track.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ferodo DS2500 was the best double duty pad I tried.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm running dedicated track pads/rotors and street pads/rotors now, however I used Hawks DTC-30 (front) and HP+ (rear) for dual purpose for a couple years.

The pads were great at the track and bearable on the street. The cold stopping power was there and the DTC-30 is surprisingly gentle on rotors, however they dust a lot and both squeak a good bit (there are ways to help remedy that).
Old 04-22-2014, 11:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've got Hawk DTC-70 on the front and EBC Yellow in back. Both are gentle on the rotors, but I do see a LOT of dusting in front.
Old 04-23-2014, 02:35 AM
Launching!

I had an excellent conversation with Sam Strano who recommended (if I couldn't do his first recommendation of a Wilwood set up w/ race pads) a dedicated set of race pads/rotors akin to the following recipe: Front pads | DTC 70 or DTC 60, Rear Pads | HT10, quality blank rotors, stainless lines, and Motul 600 fluid. For dual purpose he recommended a front and rear set of EBC Yellows, stainless lines, Motul 600 and said that my current rotors (Brakemotive) would be OK to keep on there for now. He was not a fan of cobbling a CTS-V brake conversion on the front as that was my initial plan.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:03 AM
TECH Addict

using ATE fluid is fine. motul is very expensive, and ATE can be found at amazon with free shipping, probably cheaper then anywhere else. ive had ATE blue/clear in my car for years, bleeding with every brake swap, and havent had any problems.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:44 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ATE fluid is by far the best for the money, Echo is right as I buy mine from Amazon.

I flush fluid once a year. I open the caliper bleeders here and there when swapping pads to empty the caliper.

I did a lot of research on the CTSV deal, a C6 conversion is a better option in my opinion.

Quick Reply: HPDE/street pads?