Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Fuel pressure regulator goes on supply or return?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 10:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fuel pressure regulator goes on supply or return?

I ordered a fuel pressure regulator and fittings and lines to plumb my fuel system but I believe they sent me -8 fittings to connect the regulator which would mean it would go on supply side rather then return because I have -6 return line. I thought regulators were supposed to go on the return side. Can you put them on the supply side?
Old 04-22-2014, 11:04 AM
I need a gauge for that

All factory returnless systems have them on the supply side. The regulator is actually in the tank right next to the fuel pump, so it returns fuel to the tank, but since its in the tank you dont see it, hence returnless.

Typical return style systems have the regulator after the rail.
Old 04-22-2014, 12:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I understand this but I'm building a return system with an line and I bought a boost referenced regulator and I don't know if it goes on feed side or return side.
Old 04-22-2014, 12:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Feed goes to each of the rails, then each of the rails go to the regulator, then return
Old 04-22-2014, 12:45 PM
8 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine is set up with the feed running strait to it. It feeds the rails at your desired rate and what ever is left over is sent back to the fuel tank.
Old 04-22-2014, 12:50 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sarg
Feed goes to each of the rails, then each of the rails go to the regulator, then return
How would you be able to regulate the pressure if the feed (from the tank) went straight to the rails? would they not be subject what ever PSI the pump was putting out? Ive always set mine up the way i described

Last edited by oscs; 04-22-2014 at 01:01 PM.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:19 PM
TECH Addict

It keeps the rails at pressure and bleeds off anything over that pressure. It is a common way of hooking up a regulator. Look it up on Google, I am sure you will see tons of diagrams and discussion.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by oscs
How would you be able to regulate the pressure if the feed (from the tank) went straight to the rails? would they not be subject what ever PSI the pump was putting out? Ive always set mine up the way i described
So you run yours feed line going to regulator, then feed line coming out of regulator. Which then goes to rails that have a cross over and then a return coming out of one rail correct?
Old 04-22-2014, 01:33 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by 703 CAMAROSS
So you run yours feed line going to regulator, then feed line coming out of regulator. Which then goes to rails that have a cross over and then a return coming out of one rail correct?
If you are looking at the regulator The line on the left is -10 feed the line on the right is -10 feed as well, it hits the Y block and splits to (2) -8 lines. Those lines are fed to each rail constantly maintaining your desired FP. The line on the bottom of the regulator is -8 return and goes strait to the fuel tank.

Name:  634837EC-0512-47D7-845F-CCE8781BD04D-1185-000001580A708998_zps5c5699e0.jpg
Views: 16910
Size:  157.9 KB

Last edited by oscs; 04-22-2014 at 01:39 PM.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:37 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sarg
I see how this work now, guess i had a brain fart. I like my way becuase i feel like it would keep a more consistent FP rate with them dead ending at the rails. But hey im wrong all the time and open to options.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you are looking at the regulator The line on the left is -10 feed the line on the right is -10 feed as well, it hits the Y block and splits to (2) -8 lines. Those lines are fed to each rail constantly maintaining your desired FP. The line on the bottom of the regulator is -8 return and goes strait to the fuel tank.

So is that a return style regulator? Im new to this AN **** and aftermarket regulators. The one I purchased is a return style with one feed and 3 outlet spots. Its made by accel.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:44 PM
8 Second Club

Yes, the bottom port is the return. Again this is just the way i do it and is very different from everyone else so take it with a grain of salt.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:53 PM
TECH Addict

It is basically like a returnless system, just the regulator is in the engine compartment unlike the vet. A traditional returnless though has a crossover rather than dead ends at both rails.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 74 Likes on 40 Posts

I see how this work now, guess i had a brain fart. I like my way becuase i feel like it would keep a more consistent FP rate with them dead ending at the rails. But hey im wrong all the time and open to options.
Your way of doing it can be dangerous. Aftermarket fuel pressure regulators should be hooked up after the rails. Meaning pumps to rails then to regulator/return. Its dangerous because you could realistically consume all of the fuel before it reaches the back of the rail. With the regulator after the rails, it will just return any unused fuel to the tank. You are right when you say the pumps will just pump what they can but you might be consuming almost all of it at full load. Your setup may have trouble keeping those rear injectors full of fuel.

I have -8an from my pumps to my passenger side rail. -8an from passenger to driver side rail. then i exit the back side of the driver side rail with -8an and go to my regulator. I capped the second port on the regulator and run a -6an return line from the bottom of the regulator back to the tank.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Either way I think im screwed. My supply line is only 14 feet and so is my return. I think I need more line for supply.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ryans99ls1
Your way of doing it can be dangerous. Aftermarket fuel pressure regulators should be hooked up after the rails. Meaning pumps to rails then to regulator/return. Its dangerous because you could realistically consume all of the fuel before it reaches the back of the rail. With the regulator after the rails, it will just return any unused fuel to the tank. You are right when you say the pumps will just pump what they can but you might be consuming almost all of it at full load. Your setup may have trouble keeping those rear injectors full of fuel.

I have -8an from my pumps to my passenger side rail. -8an from passenger to driver side rail. then i exit the back side of the driver side rail with -8an and go to my regulator. I capped the second port on the regulator and run a -6an return line from the bottom of the regulator back to the tank.
I see. I think this is how the company intended on me doing it because they did send me a block off port for the regulator and which makes sense because I only got two -6 fittings. So they want me to run -8 off the return side of the rail to the regulator. Then -6 from regulator to tank.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:13 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ryans99ls1

thats funny becuase this is exactly what i was trying NOT to do. Ill give it some more thought.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:37 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Flowing the main feed line into the regulator and then the rails would be the least desirable option.

Flowing the main feed line, parallel into the rails and then into the regulator is the most favourable option

But really there are multiple ways to configure it.

And whilst what Ryan says is true to a degree, if it was to happen you would see fuel pressure dropping ( of course you'd need to be logging it to see it )

@oscs.

If you insist in retaining yours the way you have, I would at least tee the regulator off that main feed line. That way supply fuel isnt having to pass through the regulator body which could be a restriction.

But really you would be best splitting that main feed into two lines, one for each rail.
Then exit the rails at the front and back into the regulator, then return as normal.

Edit...hard to see what way it is actually plumbed ? Have you split from the main feed to feed each rail ?
Old 04-22-2014, 02:40 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Flowing the main feed line into the regulator and then the rails would be the least desirable option.

Flowing the main feed line, parallel into the rails and then into the regulator is the most favourable option

But really there are multiple ways to configure it.

And whilst what Ryan says is true to a degree, if it was to happen you would see fuel pressure dropping ( of course you'd need to be logging it to see it )

@oscs.

If you insist in retaining yours the way you have, I would at least tee the regulator off that main feed line. That way supply fuel isnt having to pass through the regulator body which could be a restriction.

But really you would be best splitting that main feed into two lines, one for each rail.
Then exit the rails at the front and back into the regulator, then return as normal.

I agree, the last way of doing it actually allows me to use what i already have or most of it for that matter.
Old 04-22-2014, 05:21 PM
TECH Addict

Mine has a -10 feed with a Y going into -8 fittings in each rail, then two seperate return lines coming out of the rail and into the regulator. I have heard is is important to try to make sure both of the lines coming out of the rail are equal length. Not sure how true this is, but I did it anyways, haha. From the regulator I have a single -10 going back to the tank.

I used the larger line due to using E85. I have had bad experiences using too small of a return on E85 and it becoming a restriction when using very large pumps. Actually had a car that at idle would not go lower than 55 psi fuel pressure, but then as the motor started actually using fuel it would drop down to 45psi before climbing back up with boost. Until I figured out what was happening I was having a HELL of a time tuning the car, lol.

Quick Reply: Fuel pressure regulator goes on supply or return?