Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Just replacing mufflers with after market

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 11:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just replacing mufflers with after market

Anyone have a part number for MagnaFlow replacements? And if so, do you use the stock tips or can you get a set of mufflers with nice tips?
Old 04-24-2014, 06:27 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll see if mine have a part number stamped on them. You could reuse the oem tip if you wanted I guess, I found some that I liked better and had those installed on the new mufflers. Cost me $200 for the mufflers and tips installed and they also cut out the resonator (sounds a bit louder without them) I think it sounds great, not too loud but you can definitely tell it has an exhaust.

Old 04-24-2014, 10:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Do you have a link to those tips? They look perfect
Old 04-24-2014, 11:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yea i would like all the info too. Looks great. Have a sound clip?
Old 04-24-2014, 05:00 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 93hatch
Do you have a link to those tips? They look perfect
Originally Posted by demang
Yea i would like all the info too. Looks great. Have a sound clip?
I will try to get a sound clip and find out more info on the tips. I just got them at my local muffler shop, but they do have a brand name on them. I will get that info and post in a bit.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:04 PM
Teching In

Hey guys, when you aren't buying a Magnaflow/Corsa/Borla complete cat-back you have to choose which muffler/tip combo you want mainly based on what will fit under the rear bumper. Also, some of the items in a catback combo can't be sourced individually. But they usually have something really similar off the shelf.

For instance, I went with Borla Turbo's because the Borla Turbo XL's were too large. I also went with 4", slash cut, rolled tips because that's what I think looks cool. Then you make sure your installer knows exactly how you want those tips positioned and how far they stick out.

So basically if you go to a muffler shop they should have all kinds of tips you could look at and pick what you want. Or you could look up tips on the interwebz like Jegs...

And just so you know, there is a whole sticky dedicated to this topic where you can listen to different combinations of exhaust set ups.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-...le-thread.html

The sticky help you figure out how loud certain combos are and the different tones certain brands have.

Just replacing the stock resonator with a tru-flow x-pipe will increase the noise factor and have a negligible performance boost.
Old 04-25-2014, 07:47 AM
TECH Regular

Hey guys, got super busy. I will try to get more pics and a video up in the next day or so.

Just did a quick search and the tips I have are Silverline TK7867C Stainless Steel Oval. They are really nice in person and they don't feel cheap. I'll get info on my mufflers later.

Last edited by Quik Z06; 04-25-2014 at 07:56 AM.
Old 04-26-2014, 05:30 AM
TECH Regular

Well guys same story, just been busy. I did however get some sound clips just now lol! Don't mind the car it's super dirty, been raining off an on all day.

Again, this is magnaflow mufflers with no resonator. Recorded on my iphone so quality is not the best.

A couple drive by's...

And from inside...

Old 04-26-2014, 11:23 PM
TECH Regular

The tips I have on my car, I'm pretty sure they can be found cheaper.

Amazon.com: Silverline TK7867C Stainless Steel Exhaust Tip: Automotive Amazon.com: Silverline TK7867C Stainless Steel Exhaust Tip: Automotive
Old 04-27-2014, 12:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

thanks for the links dude. Replaced resonator today with an x pipe and that with longtubes and stock mufflers sounds like crap. Need to do what you did asap
Old 04-27-2014, 12:36 AM
TECH Regular

thanks for the links dude. Replaced resonator today with an x pipe and that with longtubes and stock mufflers sounds like crap. Need to do what you did asap
I just went and looked at the mufflers, I don't see any serial/part numbers on them. I looked on summit and there seems to be a few different models with the same shape (oval) ie; 3 chamber etc. I'd hate to tell you the wrong ones. Looked for my receipt as well and couldn't find it. I think if you go to your local muffler shop and ask for magnaflow mufflers that are oval, you should be ok. Just tell them you don't want it super loud, unless that's what you're looking for. Mine when cruising you can barely tell it has an exhaust, which I love. However when you get on it there is no mistaking that it has an exhaust. Only other solution would be for me to go to the muffler shop and ask what magnaflow muffler they used, but that shop is about 40 mins away.
Old 04-27-2014, 12:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

dont stress it youve already helped a ton
Old 04-27-2014, 12:45 AM
TECH Regular

dont stress it youve already helped a ton
These are what mine look like for reference

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mpe-13216/overview/

There is no name on them or anything, but as mentioned not sure if mine are 3 chamber or not. The other ones I've seen have the MF logo embossed on them, mine do not. Hope the helps. Let me know if you figure it out. I'd be curious to hear yours with headers and these mufflers. I've been debating adding some LT's but CA smog laws just suck and I've dealt with trying to get passed it way too may times.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

dam those are cheap
Old 04-27-2014, 01:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

you can drill the mufflers out with a 1 inch metal bore bit and pull the stuffing out of it, then put a metal plug into the hole, with a little bit of jb weld or high temp silicone around the edge. makes them sounds pretty dang good.

Quick Reply: Just replacing mufflers with after market