Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Howl after gear install

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 06:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Howl after gear install

Just got back from shop who done my gear swap 2:73's to 3:73's. There is definitely a howl when you let up on throttle. (Not under load) May even be on acceleration, but I dont believe so. They used a royal purple synthetic that has a friction modifier in it, but mine is a torsen. I thought if you had a torsen you did not need the friction modifier? They only heat cycled the rear 1 time. Will the noise worsen and will this damage the rear end?

Last edited by frack; 04-22-2014 at 07:40 PM.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:13 PM
On The Tree

Anyone
Old 04-22-2014, 07:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Synthetic gear lube typically comes with the LSD additive already in it, makes no real difference to the Torsen.

Take it back and have them find out why it's howling (is it a bearing, or is it the ring/pinion...?).
Old 04-22-2014, 08:14 PM
On The Tree

It seems to only to do it above 55 or 60?
Old 04-24-2014, 03:25 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My summit gears howl a little on coast. They were set up correctly but just a fact of life with most aftermarket gears. Sounds like a straight splined M22 transmission.
Old 05-01-2014, 05:38 PM
On The Tree

Update.

Was able to drive a little more and really pinpoint when the gears begin to whine and when they stop. They for sure, only begin to whine when the car is not under load. Only when you let up on pedal. Also, it only starts after you have reached about 40 mph. Below that you just cant hear it. I took my car back to the guys at the shop that put them in and the 2 techs who worked on my car said they checked and double checked preload and backlash and they said the gears were within specs. The veteran tech said he has done countless f-bodies with 10 bolts and he said Richmond and Motives with some cars just make more noise than a stock GM gear and pinion! Should I be satisfied with this or should I buy another set of gears. I will admit at first it was annoying, but I have never had a F-body that was quite. I mean, there is always something that is making noise in these things. Will the noise get worse and will it begin to break **** sooner or later?
Old 05-01-2014, 06:17 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Coast side noise is definitely the lesser of two evils and not likely to cause any harm to the ring and pinion. How loud is it? Do you have any aftermarket suspension components with poly or rod ends? It's a fact aftermarket gears are more likely to make noise than factory GM (AAM) gears. If the noise you hear is just alittle in the background I would ignore it but if it's really howling then I'd take it back to the shop. I built up a rear with AAM 4.10s and a solid pinion spacer, it started out quiet but after many trips to the track it picked up a slight whine in the unloaded transition from load to coast side of the gears.
Old 05-01-2014, 06:41 PM
On The Tree

I will try and post up a video tomorrow of the sound from inside the car.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:17 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jr.Samples
Sounds like a straight splined M22 transmission.
+1

Motive 3.73's here with an Eaton posi. I kind of like the gear whine.
Old 05-02-2014, 06:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

just live with it . Just about all aftermarket gears will do it .
Old 05-02-2014, 07:11 AM
11 Second Club

I have good luck with AAM and solid pinion spacer,

just my .02'
Johnny
Old 05-02-2014, 09:57 AM
TECH Regular

Sounds like they didnt get the pattern great on the decel side - I would take it back and tell them to redo the pattern on the gears, you shouldn't have a howl at all if it was done properly and assuming you bought new gears. If you have howl with brand new gears it is due to a sloppy install
Old 05-02-2014, 10:06 AM
TECH Regular

and veteran shop with countless years of experience with 10 bolts means diddly squat...I can tell you lots of stories about my car where 2 different veteran shops have caused me hundreds of dollars in grief for what should be very simple "routine" issues to fix
Old 05-02-2014, 11:15 AM
On The Tree

Ya, I will give them a call and give them a chance to make things right. If not, looks like I will be doing my first ever gear install. Which is probably what I should of done anyway.
Old 05-02-2014, 12:37 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by frack
Ya, I will give them a call and give them a chance to make things right. If not, looks like I will be doing my first ever gear install. Which is probably what I should of done anyway.
before you rip apart the rear end, check the pattern on the gear

This is from a ford 8.8, but the gear pattern is what you want

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-foru...attern.829395/

Be sure you check both the drive side (acceleration) and coast side (decel)

I'm betting you're too shallow or too deep and the shop is too lazy to fix it because it may mean popping the pinion back out and adding/subtracting a shim and that is a PITA, because you're going back to square one and that means shops are losing time and ultimately $$$
Old 05-02-2014, 01:48 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good luck with getting total quiet gears from an aftermarket set. Aftermarket gears are cut differently then a factory set for strength.
Old 05-02-2014, 02:46 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Jr.Samples
Good luck with getting total quiet gears from an aftermarket set. Aftermarket gears are cut differently then a factory set for strength.
My 3.90's were quiet... it depends on the quality of the gear as well but generally that sound will be throughout both the accel/decel

The fact that he has just decel howling indicates to me that the pattern is probably not great but rather satisfactory, which is what a lot of shops do because they could careless. It's a "you have to make sacrafices because you are going performance" mentality so deal with it, rather than take the time to make it perfect so you don't have issues.

I've seen it on more than one occasion...my notion is, if you pay for something it should be done 100% properly, the only time you should have to settle for something is if you do the work yourself and opt that you will accept the end result you get.

What you have to remember is the drive side is the important side and the decel side isnt as important as there isn't much load on the gears at that point, so rather than take it back apart they likely left it and will feed you a line of B.S

If it were me, I'd pop the cover, get some machinest blue paint and check the pattern myself. Then you have easy grounds to go back and say- fix it, it's wrong or refund my money
Old 05-02-2014, 03:03 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

My gears whined since the day they were installed. "Roughly" 50-60mph on deceleration. That howl noise along with the valves and exhaust make beautiful music together
Old 05-02-2014, 10:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

I just recently had 3.70 gears (motive) installed. Dead silent. It all comes down to how good the person is that set up the gears.
Old 05-03-2014, 05:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

They should be quiet but in the real world hey not everyone has the talent and patience it takes to get them spot on. Personally as long as its a slight noise and nothing loud I won't worry about it. I've owned many many many 10 bolt 7.5 rear cars(15) in my time and all were a little noisy. EVERY single one had 40-70 mph slight gear whine and the hotter the oil got the louder they whined. Good Luck

Quick Reply: Howl after gear install