Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ported/Polished Heads with Stock Valves

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2004, 11:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ported/Polished Heads with Stock Valves

I've been considering a set of ported heads with stock valves and was curious what kind of power increase I could expect. Do you all think the gains would be worth the money and time invested to swap out the heads? Would I be better off putting the money toward a set of heads with larger valves?

I really don't want to flycut my pistons or buy new ones, nor do I want to swap out my cam. That said, I have been seriously considering nitrous, so if I were to go with larger valves, I wouldn't be too strongly against changing to a different cam more suited to nitrous use.

Just looking for some opinions.

Thanks,
Josh
Old 05-16-2004, 02:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

lol wait a minute dude you just put that cam in there!! Well I'll have mine for sale soon if Brian or Tim don't want it. Oh ya and it's better suited for nitrous than yours is

-Sly
Old 05-16-2004, 03:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hmmm, I dunno, your cam is a little small for my tastes.

Josh
Old 05-16-2004, 03:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

try some stage 2 heads first and see how you like the combo....that should gain 20-40 rwhp!
Old 05-16-2004, 06:34 PM
TECH Addict

Location: sojourning....looking for my city whose builder and maker is God.

Originally Posted by Josh
I've been considering a set of ported heads with stock valves and was curious what kind of power increase I could expect. Do you all think the gains would be worth the money and time invested to swap out the heads? Would I be better off putting the money toward a set of heads with larger valves?

I really don't want to flycut my pistons or buy new ones, nor do I want to swap out my cam. That said, I have been seriously considering nitrous, so if I were to go with larger valves, I wouldn't be too strongly against changing to a different cam more suited to nitrous use.

Just looking for some opinions.

Thanks,
Josh
lol, always more to do!! NL said If you can do without your car for a couple of weeks you can send your heads to Rick Miller @ Extrudehone.com 800-367-1109, dail him direct @ 724-863-5900. It has been said that you can get 50 to 55 hp from them. Cost should be around $900.00.

BTW, all you speed demons. I am totally satisfied with my car! I'm not going to do anything else.....really..... lol Really I promise!
Old 05-16-2004, 07:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

haha sure sure until we line them up once I get my new setup then your gonna want something similar too

Anywho, back on topic, Josh like I said I think going from the 2.0 to 2.02 valve the heads will pick up another 5-7cfm, if your looking to save the money just put your valves in the ported heads, maybe we can see if Terry has any extra's laying around that they will be willing to get rid of for cheap when I/we go down there to pick up my engine.

-Sly
Old 05-16-2004, 08:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

As long as the heads flow good you can still make good power with stock valves. My heads still have stock valves but are ported & polished.
Fred
Old 05-16-2004, 10:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The MTI S2E's are close to stock sized valves... and they work very well. Not to mention a great bang for the buck.