Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Fuel system layout help

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 07:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel system layout help

I'm building an LQ4 swapped mustang and am ready to put together my fuel system. Unfortunately I'm completely lost. I'll give the details of what I'm working with and hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

LQ4 running a super vic with Edelbrock Rails, 36# ford injectors (so 42s at 58psi roughly)
Car will make 500rwhp~ NA
A sumped aluminum tank with no provisions for an intank pump.
Holley HP EFI system
Car will see some street duty

So basically I'm looking for a return style, inline pump system.
Will a single bosch 044 or walbro 255 support this reliably? As cheap as they are I'd be able to run 2 in parallel if needed. Or do I need to run a billet holley pump or an A1000 or something along those lines?

-6 or -8? I figured on a -8 supply side and -6 return.
Can I run the C5 filter/reg?
I know the reg should really be AFTER the rails but most peoples setups seem to show it mounted back by the tank right after the pump.
Sorry if these questions seem stupid, I tend to overthink. Just want to build it once the right way without overspending
Old 04-27-2014, 08:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

"-6 or -8? I figured on a -8 supply side and -6 return.
Can I run the C5 filter/reg?
I know the reg should really be AFTER the rails but most peoples setups seem to show it mounted back by the tank right after the pump.
Sorry if these questions seem stupid, I tend to overthink. Just want to build it once the right way without overspending".
Most w/ an adj fpr do as you mentioned. [Put it after the rails.] Both FPRs can be at/near the rails, or mtd in the rear.
The issue w/ the adj at the rear is, access is/could be a PITA.
The Vette reg/filter advantage is, it can be near the tank, and reduce the length of the return line. [No access needed, as it's non-adj.]

We've done both regs, w/ the Vette always being at/near the tank.
-8/-6 lines are good to waaay more than your intended goal.
Suggest you use ptfe line, such as Fragola. [All we use. A bit more $, a bit more of a PITA to assemble. Won't stink.]

Aeromotive website has some good diagrams for system layout.

Quick Reply: Fuel system layout help