Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

wastegate turbo build questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 12:55 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wastegate turbo build questions

I have all my parts together, minus some odds and ends I could use some help with. Car is an 04 GTO built 346, twin BWS359, C6 manifolds with 2.25" hot side, 3" down pipes that dump under the car, Hallman manual boost controller. Goal is 20-24 PSI depending on what the tuner can do, and what the heads will hold.

Wastegate questions:

Using Tial 38 's and I need springs, as I understand a manual boost controller will allow you to increase the spring PSI rating quite a bit, since I'm planning for 20-24 PSI are the large blue springs my best choice? They are rated at 14.5 PSI.

The WG flange openings are 1.50" diameter so I need 1.50" tubing correct?

An independent pressure source is needed for the boost controller, pre-throttle body I have heard. Do I weld a barb on the intake pipe just prior to the throttle body and meth nozzle?

As far as routing the vacuum lines from the boost controller to the WG's I could use a little help. Let me know if there is anything wrong with this:

Pressure source > boost controller inlet

Boost controller outlet > T fitting > two lines off T fitting to each WG (on the barb on the side of the Tial 38 > top port on WG left open

Last edited by schmendog; 04-26-2014 at 07:17 PM.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:13 AM
TECH Regular

bump for some help por favor
Old 04-27-2014, 08:52 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Typically you would connect a line from the compressor cover outlet area to the bottom port on the wastegate. The other ports receive positive pressure from the boost controller to hold the Wastegate shut longer. I personally reference this post tb so that my wastegate would open on throttle lift, some people prefer to keep the turbo spooled to a higher degree and use a boost controller source before the throttle body.

Regardless there are a handful of ways to connect everything that change drivability/spool, abuse on parts, and overall ability to manage boost.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:59 AM
TECH Regular

Yeah that's what Im coming across, different methods preferred by different people so its all a bit confusing.
Old 04-27-2014, 02:55 PM
Teching In

Well, the reason I placed the feed for the boost controller after the throttle body is so that I would increase the longevity of my turbo and take any potential shaft strain away (I also had 2 BOV's on my last setup). But that means that as soon as I'd lift throttle (even for a shift) I was reducing the target boost pressure.

If you place the feed before the throttle body the turbo will have more drive pressure and stay spooled better (but be even more dependent on BOV's to keep shaft strain down).

The synapse BOV has like 3 different setups that effect how fast it opens, which is another way to tune this
Old 04-29-2014, 05:56 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks , Ill plan to weld a barb on the intake pipe just before the TB for a source for the boost controller. Does the line routing in the diagram look accurate?
Old 04-29-2014, 12:08 PM
Teching In

Pressure source > boost solenoid switched inlet (the normally connected port should be left open/have a filter)

Boost solenoid outlet > T fitting > two lines off T fitting to each WG (on the barb on the TOP of the Tial 38 > side port connected to compressor cover boost port

If using a manual boost controller setup should be the same just substitute it where the solenoid is - note this is "regulator" style not "bleed" style.

Also, there are twin solenoid kits so you can have better control (faster movement of air), but I'm going to try with just one and don't expect issues.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:01 PM
TECH Regular

thanks.

how about tubing size for all the vacuum lines ( WG's, BOV, FPR)?
Old 04-30-2014, 08:53 PM
TECH Regular

I bought a vacuum distribution block which will T into the brake booster, it has six 1/8" barbs on it so running 5/32 ID hose seems to make sense to me, but reading other threads people say 1/4" is necessary. Does it really matter for all my vacc lines?
Old 04-30-2014, 11:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by schmendog
I have all my parts together, minus some odds and ends I could use some help with. Car is an 04 GTO built 346, twin BWS359, C6 manifolds with 2.25" hot side, 3" down pipes that dump under the car, Hallman manual boost controller. Goal is 20-24 PSI depending on what the tuner can do, and what the heads will hold.

Wastegate questions:

Using Tial 38 's and I need springs, as I understand a manual boost controller will allow you to increase the spring PSI rating quite a bit, since I'm planning for 20-24 PSI are the large blue springs my best choice? They are rated at 14.5 PSI.

The WG flange openings are 1.50" diameter so I need 1.50" tubing correct?

An independent pressure source is needed for the boost controller, pre-throttle body I have heard. Do I weld a barb on the intake pipe just prior to the throttle body and meth nozzle?

As far as routing the vacuum lines from the boost controller to the WG's I could use a little help. Let me know if there is anything wrong with this:

Pressure source > boost controller inlet

Boost controller outlet > T fitting > two lines off T fitting to each WG (on the barb on the side of the Tial 38 > top port on WG left open
Id use 12-14psi springs.

Yes, 1.5.

I use the compressor as the pressure source.

Go the the local Fastenal or order it from McMasterCarr or RPS but use the big rig 1/4 plastic tubing and quick connect fittings. They have straights, 90's, Tees, etc. So easy to install, looks WAY cleaner, and you wont be swearing when it comes apart (and it will).
Old 05-01-2014, 06:20 AM
TECH Regular

Ok got it, my compressor housings don't have a nipple on them like most others which is why I planned to get the pressure source from the charge pipe prior to the TB, is that a good option? If I don't have to Id rather not drill and tap the compressor housing.

I was thinking AN hose was the better option, but ill check out the stuff on RPS. Thanks

Last edited by schmendog; 05-01-2014 at 06:32 AM.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Thats fine.

Plastic line WAY easier than AN.
Old 05-01-2014, 02:55 PM
TECH Resident

curious about this too... which is a better reference for accurate pressure with an intercooler? Pre-TB, or Compressor housing?

I want to plan to get all my readings (gauge, wastegate, etc) from the same source.
Old 05-01-2014, 05:04 PM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by ryanleiker
curious about this too... which is a better reference for accurate pressure with an intercooler? Pre-TB, or Compressor housing?

I want to plan to get all my readings (gauge, wastegate, etc) from the same source.
Take the reference from whereever you want to measure the pressure from.

And do not hook up the wastegate line to any other device, gauge, whatever.

Quick Reply: wastegate turbo build questions