Timing marks with optispark delete plate

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 05:57 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing marks with optispark delete plate

Hi there
I'm swapping my old Gen 1 SBC for a LT1 into my landcruiser

I've got an LT1 carb manifold and are going to run my existing holly TBI and a HEI dist

I've got a Chevrolet Performance LT1/LT4 Front Cover Plug optispark delete 12367600 http://www.summitracing.com/int/part...7600/overview/ and Professional Products PowerForce Harmonic Dampers 80030 http://www.summitracing.com/int/part...0030/overview/

I haven't got a screw in piston stop to find TDC but I put a small screwdriver through No 1 plug hole and it looked like the piston came up TDC as the timing marks lined up, can anyone confirm the timing marks line up correctly for TDC as both components are aftermarket made by different manufacturers they aren't a combined kit

thanks for any help
Old 04-27-2014, 03:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

I am using the same parts for a LT1 into a 70 Nova. But using a ATI balancer for a B-body since that will line the accessory bracket up as that is also from a B-body

watch the #1 valves as you rotate the engine by hand. they are both closed when on compression stroke and #6 would have a valve open. Opposite when #6 is TDC on compression stroke

you can also screw in a compression gauge in #1 and watch it build pressure as you turn the motor by hand
Old 04-29-2014, 01:04 AM
Teching In

thanks for the info mate, I can get No-1 up to roughly TDC but don't have a screw in piston stop or any other means of verifying exactly where the TDC point is. When I rotate the crank with a small screw driver through No-1 spark plug hole the piston seems to cycle TDC as the timing marks line up but I'm just hoping to get confirmation that the timing marks do line up correctly as the damper and blank off plate are both made by different manufacturers, the damper is keyed onto the crank so it can only go on one way, thanks for any help.
Attached Thumbnails Timing marks with optispark delete plate-timing-marks.jpg  
Old 04-29-2014, 03:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Whenever I get around to my conversion Im going just weld the holes in the cover and use a SBC timing marker. With that one it doesnt even look like you can set different timing.
Old 04-29-2014, 04:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by F0x Slaughter
Whenever I get around to my conversion Im going just weld the holes in the cover and use a SBC timing marker. With that one it doesnt even look like you can set different timing.
the mark on TC adapter plate is correct. you adjust timing by moving distributor L/R and watch timing gun on the damper that would have "timing marks" labeled on it to advance or retard timing. The Ops particular damper just has "notches" as marks so I am not sure how many degrees they correspond to. Mine is a ATI that has a more defined marking showing specific degrees.

the "pointer" part of TC adapter put the pointer where it would be on a Gen 1 SBC. It is really the same thing in terms of adjusting timing
Old 04-29-2014, 06:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I understand how to set timing as I have a 76 SBC.

This is what I am use to.

Not having markings on the damper.
Old 05-04-2014, 03:40 PM
Teching In

I made up a piston stop out of an old spark plug and a bit of rod and screwed that into No1 hole and rotated the crank clockwise until it stopped and marked the damper then rotated it anti clockwise and marked the damper where it stopped then found the halfway point between the 2 marks for tdc and it came up about 4 degrees retarded from where the factory marks start on the damper so I cut a new notch for my engines tdc
Attached Thumbnails Timing marks with optispark delete plate-timing-20marks2.jpg  

Quick Reply: Timing marks with optispark delete plate