Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

06 Avalanche Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 09:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 Avalanche Problems

Hi Everyone,
I'm new here and am looking for some help. I have an 06 Avalanche that has been having some issues. Had to replace a battery about 6 weeks ago. Ever since, been having some issues. Alternator was really dropping voltage and charging right at, or below 12 volts, to as low as 10.5. Replaced and worked great, for about a day. Now, it will be reading great when I go to have alternator tested, but as soon as I pull out and start driving, the voltage drops. I had a bad tensioner, replaced it, replaced belts, checked, cleaned and re-secured all ground connections. But my voltage is still charging at or less than 12 volts running down the road. ANY IDEAS-PLEASE HELP. Had a "system charging failure" message pop up in the DIC the other day. Could it be I got a bad alternator?
Old 04-27-2014, 01:25 PM

alternators need voltage to make charging voltage. i would test the connector that goes into the alternator to make sure its getting the correct voltage. if its not, then it wont charge for anything. after that just make sure all positive wires in that charging system are good. and check batter if it has a weak or dead cell that can change it over 2v.
goodluck
Old 04-27-2014, 01:25 PM

testing alternators is free at most auto places aswell
Old 04-27-2014, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by lsxstudebaker
alternators need voltage to make charging voltage. i would test the connector that goes into the alternator to make sure its getting the correct voltage. if its not, then it wont charge for anything. after that just make sure all positive wires in that charging system are good. and check batter if it has a weak or dead cell that can change it over 2v.
goodluck
Battery's been checked and good. When I would get alternator checked it would read some fluctuations, but within parameters. They swapped it out today and gave me a new one because it was less than 2 weeks old and I was having trouble. Could be that I got a bad alternator and replacement may work out fine, will find out in the next couple of days. After I replaced, ran around to get good and hot. Didn't drop voltage and came back to see what it was reading, was working great. Waiting to see what the next wfew days holds.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:02 PM

perfect. lots of times people forget new items can be faulty!

Quick Reply: 06 Avalanche Problems