Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C compressor

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 09:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default A/C compressor

How much would it cost to take it to a shop to have it replaced?
Old 04-28-2014, 12:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I remember right I got an estimate of around $800 to remove and replace a compressor a few years ago. It's an expensive job, and could be even more so depending on the nature of your problem. At minimum, you are looking at a compressor, a couple pounds of refrigerant and oil, a receiver dryer, orifice tube, and o-ring seals, plus labor charge. If your compressor had catastrophic failure and sent metal through the system, the parts list and labor cost goes up (replace lines and condensor in addition to already mentioned, plus do a system flush). My compressor failed and I ended up flushing the system and putting filters in the lines to catch anything that I didn't get. Any metal in the system can ruin a new compressor.

AC jobs are a pain.
Old 04-28-2014, 02:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whenever i turn the AC off it rattles and clangs alot. Still works great except for the noise.
Old 04-28-2014, 05:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh so all you have to do is replace the AC clutch...not the whole compressor. Rent the ac clutch puller tool, purchase a new compressor clutch, and do it your self. Actually, not the clutch I meant the bearing....its a 20 dollar part on rockauto, but they also have and AC compressor kit that includes a drier, seals, orifice tube, and comprssor for $185 if you want to go that route

Last edited by MadFirehawk86; 04-28-2014 at 05:09 PM.

Quick Reply: A/C compressor