LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Airbag light flashes and then stays on but only when brake is pressed

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 09:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Airbag light flashes and then stays on but only when brake is pressed

This just started happening right after I disabled Vats completely, but I really don't think it has anything to do with that. When I press the brake, the Airbag light blinks a few times and then stays lit until I get off the brake and then it flashes a few times and goes off. Does it every time I touch the brake. Car runs fine, nothing out of the ordinary. Did a search and couldn't find anyone that's had this problem. I disabled Vats because the car wouldn't start or even turn over. Other things I messed with trying to diagnose the no start are the NSS, so I was plundering in the area.

This is on my 93 Trans Am in my sig. Thanks.
Old 04-30-2014, 02:10 PM
TECH Resident

This looks like a question shoebox can only answer lol
Old 06-25-2014, 11:21 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you figure out what the problem was? I have a similar thing going on where the airbag light is on all the time and then will start flashing when I press on the brakes. If I hold the brake long enough it will completely go out. When I release the brake it comes back on. Just curious as to how the brakes are connected to the airbag system.
Old 07-15-2014, 05:45 AM
TECH Resident

I still haven't figured it out.
Old 01-27-2015, 08:09 AM
Teching In

Did either of you figure this out? I'm having a very similar problem.

1993 T/A, automatic: My turn signal switch (not the stalk, but the actual switch in the column) broke. We fixed that, and then the car wouldn't start due to VATS. Did a VATS bypass. Car starts. Now, I get an airbag light when the car is rolling, but it flashes when the brakes are on. When stopped, no light.

I really hate to just start easter egging parts. I'm thinking of replacing the clock spring, but that bad boy is $155 from GM parts direct, and I have no idea whether it will actually fix it.

Blackfire, did you do a VATS bypass too? Maybe that's the common thread.

Last edited by Dan Quixote; 01-27-2015 at 08:19 AM.
Old 01-27-2015, 04:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

The most common reason the air bag light stays on is because of the DERM module behind the passenger side dash but what you guys are describing sounds more like a short. I don't know what the wiring diagram looks like but maybe there's a shared ground somewhere that would be a good place to start?
Old 02-09-2015, 04:52 PM
Teching In

I noticed the 3 guys having this problem are all on 93s. I wonder if it's something that can only happen on a 93, due to the "differences".

Quick Reply: Airbag light flashes and then stays on but only when brake is pressed