Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Panick time, need help fast!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 01:10 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Panick time, need help fast!

I need some advice. I have all of the suspension and rear moser 9" axle housing installed on my car (68 camaro). I am moving next week and the 9" center section I ordered a month ago has not arrived yet (never believe 3-7 business days) and now I can't get in contact with the shop I ordered it from to get a tracking number. Tried the last 4 days...

Is there a way to install the axles to roll the car without the center section and messing anything up? The axles are 35 spline with willwood brakes. I just need to roll it about a hundred feet and get it loaded on my trailer. I don't want to risk damaging the housing or any of the suspension components by being stupid about this but I didn't know if it was possible just to put some tubing in the center just slightly larger ID than the axle shafts OD to provide a little support...

Thanks again for any ideas!
Old 05-02-2014, 01:28 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy some of these http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...+wheel-dollies

I got a set dirt cheap from harbour freight a little while back, be careful putting the car down on the dollys so you don't damage anything and just wheel it around
Old 05-03-2014, 06:46 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I've had dolly's flip up (uneven surfaces) and damage the car, which recently happened to my tube chassis Vega. You might get by with putting a floor jack under the rear and rolling it out that way. have someone hang onto the handle of the floor jack. To your initial question, I wouldn't put the axles and bearing into the housing and risk it. I take it you didn't order a Moser center section, as they ship out just two days after the order is received, unless the shop you ordered it through is screwing you. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 05-03-2014, 10:54 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bob@BruteSpeed
I've had dolly's flip up (uneven surfaces) and damage the car, which recently happened to my tube chassis Vega. You might get by with putting a floor jack under the rear and rolling it out that way. have someone hang onto the handle of the floor jack. To your initial question, I wouldn't put the axles and bearing into the housing and risk it. I take it you didn't order a Moser center section, as they ship out just two days after the order is received, unless the shop you ordered it through is screwing you. Bob
Id be worried about it slipping off the jack, I'd almost get the dollies and put minimal pressure on them and leave the jack under and use all 3 to move it then, that way if the jack slides out it is on the dolly's as well
Old 05-03-2014, 02:01 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by LETZRIDE
Id be worried about it slipping off the jack, I'd almost get the dollies and put minimal pressure on them and leave the jack under and use all 3 to move it then, that way if the jack slides out it is on the dolly's as well
That would be even better! Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 05-03-2014, 04:06 PM
Staging Lane

I agree about the Dolly's. I don't trust them for moving a car around unless it is a flat surface and on tires. The center section was a strange strac and yea, the shops supplier was screwing us over. I think possibly the best suggestion I got so far was to use some tubing just slightly larger than the axles to connect the two axles with them installed. I tried it last night and it seems fine to roll an empty shell of a car around without damaging anything. Unless anybody thinks this unwise? I have not lowered any weight into the wheels yet.
Old 05-03-2014, 04:09 PM
Staging Lane

I wish I could roll it with a floor jack unfortunately it has to roll through the yard and several roots to get close enough to where I can winch it onto the trailer.

Quick Reply: Panick time, need help fast!